Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Greek Yogurt

Greek Yogurt

To disable ads, please log-in.

Can someone please explain the popularity of Greek Yogurt? I see there's several brands. How is it different than regular yogurt? I see its over a $1.00 for an individual container. I haven't tried it yet. I usually get Kroger's Carbmaster - 80 cal, 1.5 fat, 3 sugars, 12 protein and $.41.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

It's strained, is all. You can strain your own with a cheesecloth (and use the whey for baking or whatever).
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    It's strained, is all. You can strain your own with a cheesecloth (and use the whey for baking or whatever).
    I like it for a change of pace. I particularly like it with some honey before a long morning ride.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

really good with Kashi cereal in the yogurt... yum

The Barefoot Contessa strains hers overnight in a strainer lined with paper towels. I buy organic vanilla and pair it with blueberries and granola, or whatever other fruit is in season. Tres yummy.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

The advantage to the Greek style (other than being thicker) is that it's higher in protien than regular (since it's more condensed) and I think it's more filling, too.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    tastes better, too. I often clip coupons from my Sunday paper, making the price on par with "regular" yogurt.

Tulip, is there a brand that you prefer? FAGE is the only brand I've tried.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Fage and Chobani. Even Dannon makes it now. You can get coupons online for just about anything, including Fage. I find Chobani coupons in the paper regularly, and my local grocery store often has it on special.

Surgetech, I don't know (or care) about the numbers as long as it's healthy (i.e., not loaded with sugar and artificial stuff). But if that's important to you, you could do a comparison to see if there is difference in the numbers of different yogurts.
    Last edited by tulip; 06-15-2010 at 12:33 PM.

I compared the sugar content in all the flavored ones available to me (Fage, Chobani & Dannon) and found that the Chobani Vanilla was the lowest at 13g (compared to 9g in the plain if I recall correctly). The Chobani vanilla is my favorite one, by far, too. The others are all either too sweet or too creamy and the plain is just too tart.

It's so deliciously awesome with fresh strawberries from our garden - like a desert! I bet it would be amazing with granola too (but I'm not eating granola right now).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I have a Donvier "Wave" Yogurt Cheese Maker.
    Perfectly sized for a 32oz tub of yogurt.
    It has a tub, sieve insert and lid. Takes up minimal fridge space.
    We prefer to use plain yogurt and substitute it for cream cheese and mayo.
    http://etherbourn.blogspot.com/

2010 Cannondale Synapse Feminine Carbon 6

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try it. I usually buy vanilla yogurt, the one with the honey sounds good, or I guess I can just add my own honey. I like the idea thats its more filling. I've seen the Chobani, Oikos(sp?) and the Danon, but not the Fage. I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to try it. I usually buy vanilla yogurt, the one with the honey sounds good, or I guess I can just add my own honey. I like the idea thats its more filling. I've seen the Chobani, Oikos(sp?) and the Danon, but not the Fage. I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow.
    The kind with the honey usually has less yogurt. I buy the regular yogurt and split it into 2 servings - and add my own local honey.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Mmmm, I love fage too! My current favorite is fage (2%) with mangos and a touch of honey. I also do it with strawberries too. I also love it with Udi Hawaiian granola and pecans.
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

Huge Chobani fan, here!!! I typically eat the plain and add in my own honey, ground flaxseed, and homemade granola...yummmm!!!! But occasionally, I will also buy the blueberry, raspberry, vanilla, and pomegranite flavors for a change of pace. I've tried just about all of the Greek yogurts available - Fage, Dannon, Oikos, Trader Joe's, even Yoplait has come out with their own version. My favorite is the Chobani, with the Organic Trader Joe's version coming in a close second.