Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Grind In The Pines Race Report

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did an Olympic distance road tri yesterday. It was a new race put on by one of our local promoters that runs a large and very popular sprint series. I was excited to have something in the area and was much looking forward to the race.

We had a threat of severe weather all week, but when I check the latest update at 4:15 yesterday morning, I saw an alert posted that struck fear in my heart.

Heat Advisory in Effect.....OH NO! i do not do well in the heat. The race started at 7:30, but they were already calling for temps near 85 at 9am with a heat index in the 90's due to very hig humidity. OH NO.

My goals going into this race were:
    1. finish under 3 hours
    2. work on pacing and nutrition with the intention of maybe a longer race this fall
    3. find out where I need to be in regard to pace on the bike to have a solid run.

So the race broke down like this:

Swim- I did the 1500 meters in 25 mins and it was 2 laps so we had to get out and run on the beach between. I am very happy with that.

Bike- I do not have a tri bike. I have a great road bike, but not a tri bike. I am making a point of that because I am starting to realize it does make a difference. So my bike was 1:25. I was ok with that. I did not hammer on the bike, I wanted to stay out of the red zone.

Run-this is where it all goes to pieces. I made it to 4 miles before I had to walk. I was getting chills from the heat. To that point I was managing just under a 10 mm pace. The heat was just awful. People were walking all over the place, we looked like zombies. DH met me with 1 mile to go and jogged along with me for a bit. I walked and ran the last mile in.

So I finished in under 3 hours. 2:55
    I did not drink enough on the bike. Not nearly enough.
    I am disappointed that I had to walk. I have worked so hard on my running this last year. The offical run time was 1 hour flat.

My friend Mike won the race. He told me after that on days like this where the heat is so much a factor, that you really cannot judge your training and performance. You just have to get through the day. That made me feel better.

After the race we all took our shoes off and run walked straight into the lake....ahhhhh.......

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    great job! Just think- you made your goal on a crazy hot day. Just think of what you can do when it's cooler out...

Congrats!!!

Here, every summer race is HOT and HUMID. It's so hard to pace and hydrate properly in those conditions. You just do your best to not pass out.
    I'm sure the lake felt soooooo good!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Congratulations!! Heat really challenges alot of people, so good on you for sticking with it!

I consider nutrition/hydration to be the "fourth discipline". How we fuel ourselves impacts an event soooooo much!
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Awesome job!!! The heat can really do some weird things to you and it just comes out of nowhere sometimes. Be careful out there. Good job.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Nutrition is the fourth and mental strength is the fifth - great showing of all 5!

Thanks guys, I am still beating myself up for walking....

And the heat hangover....OY

Congrats! Those conditions sound miserable, but you persevered!

What are you beating yourself up for? You finished in under 3 hours, if you had kept running you might not have finished.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    What are you beating yourself up for? You finished in under 3 hours, if you had kept running you might not have finished.

Veronica
    SO true, and something to keep in mind. You should be thrilled with that finish! Everyone had to deal with the heat, and you did the very best considering the circumstances! Congrats!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post

Veronica
    Well, I never thought of that!

Heat exhaustion is nasty stuff.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    My friend Mike won the race. He told me after that on days like this where the heat is so much a factor, that you really cannot judge your training and performance.
    Listen to Mike. He is very wise.

You met your goal of under 3 hours. You found out that you do not drink enough on the bike.

I'd say that was a good race. Congratulations!

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD