Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

my tan lines give me away...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went with a couple new riders to the free maintenance class offered at our LBS... it was a VERY basic class and perfect for newbie riders... at the end I was chit chatting and then got ready to leave... a man from the class said "you ride alot huh?" I said, "yeah a bit"... he explained that during the class he told his wife, "You need to talk to HER... look at those tan lines!" I had to laugh...

anyway they are both brand new, have fallen in love with road riding and are signed up to do a 50 mile event in a few months... they were asking about routes etc and if I ever ride with new people... I told them I'd be happy to show them some routes and go over all the safety stuff I know, as well as teaching them basics such as how to get your water bottle out while riding... they seem like a nice couple... should be fun...

off to the tanning salon to try to even out this mess...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

isn't that the truth? I have the added tan lines and "dots" from my gloves LOL. Tan from ankle to mid thigh and then my tank top line. Funniest thing is I have a slight tan line from where the strap of my cooler bag goes across my chest.

We had a hilarious thread going on about this awhile back. I found out that I sport the Neapolitan look since I wear different length shorts, sleeves, straps, etc., and never work at an even tan.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

cute story...it gave me a much needed chuckle

i was just showing off my tan lines on my wrists...with pride!!! no matter how much af any spf greater than 15 you still get lines

i do however have quite the marbled effect on my back from several style jerseys...i am a little nervous about how they are going to look in a backless wedding dress only our cycling friends will appreciate it...the others will just have to laugh...
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

I was seriously going to look for some gloves that were solid across the back so I didn't have the little tan "dot" in the middle of my hands until one my friends (a non-rider) told me she got the biggest kick outta those dots and she hoped I kept them! It'll be hilarious to see the look on my familys faces when I meet them for my up-n-coming trip as they haven't seen me since Christmas and they haven't seen my tan lines! (yippee skippee!)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by bouncybouncy
    i was just showing off my tan lines on my wrists...with pride!!!

I was sooo excited when I got the lines on my wrists. Though I think the knuckle ones are kinda dirty looking

Ack, I'm a traitor!

The tan lines on my hands have been getting really pronounced so I just started using bronzing gel to even them out.

Works really well, I might add ... I used the bronzing gel from L'Oreal.

OK SK, feel free to slap me upside the head.

Jo "traitor to the cause" bob

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jobob
    OK SK, feel free to slap me upside the head.

Jo "traitor to the cause" bob
    I'm getting addled from all this head slapping. Why should I? Because you've fallen prey to the Lady Vanity?

Me? I just make sure I have a bracelet or watch on both wrists. That way the line of demarcation isn't as noticeable. Here it is Sept 1 tomorrow and my toes haven't seen a spot of nail polish all summer. You should hear their comments when yellow shows up.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    I was seriously going to look for some gloves that were solid across the back so I didn't have the little tan "dot" in the middle of my hands until one my friends (a non-rider) told me she got the biggest kick outta those dots and she hoped I kept them! It'll be hilarious to see the look on my familys faces when I meet them for my up-n-coming trip as they haven't seen me since Christmas and they haven't seen my tan lines! (yippee skippee!)

I not only have the 2 "dots" in the middle of the back of my hand, my gloves are the crocheted back type so I have "polkadots" as well

Quote Originally Posted by mary9761
    I not only have the 2 "dots" in the middle of the back of my hand, my gloves are the crocheted back type so I have "polkadots" as well
    I have a pair of those - they tore my fingers up. The seams were just in all the wrong places and I couldn't wear them anymore!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Ya know... I don't get the dots... but I do get the wrist lines and the ones from ankle to thigh are horrendous...

and my back... racer stripe galore... LOL... I had a date the other night and put on a halter... then laughed and changed tops... the guy is a cyclist so I probably could've gotten away with it... but it really did look pretty awful...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

so bikerchick68, how'd the date go?

I think what gives cyclists away are our legs, we have more defined calf muscles than non-cyclists at least most of us do. Like that deffinition in the calf where it looks lke it's split? Only cyclists have that.

Hmmm, I don't, better ride more.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I am a freckled mess so polka dots have been a part of me since i can remember...it is just a matter of polka-dotted density!!!

arms = extreme dots
    hands = a few dots
    legs = no dots - dots - no dots
    back = dots, and more dots, and an hour-glass design

without clothes i give the saying "seeing spots" a whole new meaning
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

Maybe I'm weird (ok, forget the maybe), but I think tan lines that indicate that you work for a living or are dedicated to a sport - are cool. DH gets a pretty good farmer tan in the summer, and my dad used to have a trucker's tan. There's a soft place place in my heart for both.

Quote Originally Posted by latelatebloomer
    Maybe I'm weird (ok, forget the maybe), but I think tan lines that indicate that you work for a living or are dedicated to a sport - are cool. DH gets a pretty good farmer tan in the summer, and my dad used to have a trucker's tan. There's a soft place place in my heart for both.
    I would never, ever do anything to change my biker tan.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM