Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"you should watch where you're walking!"

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went to one of the local malls today, to run some errands, and to treat myself to lunch at a brewpub there.

While strolling through the parking lot towards the mall, a black Mercedes SUV starts pulling out right in front of me. I stop in my tracks, and look towards the driver, expecting him to perhaps check his mirrors and see me. Nope, he's chatting on his cell phone as his vehicle continues to roll. So as it rolls in front of me, I tap his window. He looks at me, still on the phone, then keeps moving. I walk on. As he passes me, he says through his now open window, "do I know you?"

"No, but you almost hit me as you were pulling out."

"Well, you should watch where you're walking!"

(I had to get in the last word.....)
    And you should hang up your cell phone when you drive!

The beer was nice and cold in the brew pub.
    Beth

Don't you know who that was?
    It was Mr. Important!
    Mr Important is a moron and karma is a beach.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I stepped out into a crosswalk today (one with a stop sign, so cars had to stop or be stopped anyway). The driver who was stopped started to go, slammed his brakes back on, then threw up his hands..... then he wanted to know why I was glaring at him.....

Dummy - you need to look at the whole picture - cross streets and sidewalks before you start to go, you can't just be on autopilot, stop and then go without looking and then to have the audacity to act frustrated. He's lucky my mouth was full or he'd have got more than a glare.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Good work Beth! People are such assholes these days, and the cell phone has a lot to do with it!
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Don't you know who that was?
    It was Mr. Important!
    Mr Important is a moron and karma is a beach.
    HA! Oh sooooo true!
    "If we know where we want to go, then even a stony road is bearable." ~~ Horst Koehler

Quote Originally Posted by XMcShiftersonX View Post
    Good work Beth! People are such assholes these days, and the cell phone has a lot to do with it!
    Yep...add a big luxury SUV to the mix and it's an a-hole with a penis extender. Ick.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Yesterday, I almost got "crashed" by a woman in the grocery store, wheeling her cart, while talking on the phone. She continued to talk on the phone through more than half of her time there, so I just glared at her every time she passed me in the aisle. I only held my tongue because her teenaged son was with her. It was late afternoon and the store was crowded.
    Zoom-Zoom, my DH drives a big, luxury SUV. I think he would have laughed at the penis extender idea.
    He doesn't drive and talk, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Yesterday, I almost got "crashed" by a woman in the grocery store, wheeling her cart, while talking on the phone. She continued to talk on the phone through more than half of her time there, so I just glared at her every time she passed me in the aisle. I only held my tongue because her teenaged son was with her. It was late afternoon and the store was crowded.
    Zoom-Zoom, my DH drives a big, luxury SUV. I think he would have laughed at the penis extender idea.
    He doesn't drive and talk, though.
    Ha...I think it's that cell-phone thing that separates the drivers from the "Mr. Importants." All too often I get the feeling that the bigger the vehicle, the less a person thinks they need to be careful. As if they feel that the smaller guys need to just get out of their way. There seems to be a false sense of safety with SUVs for a lot of people. I know one of my best friends has admitted that she has to remind herself that 4WD doesn't mean she is immune to bad roads and that her vehicle really isn't safer than smaller ones (and she requires more distance to stop and is at greater risk of roll-over), but she sometimes doesn't drive as defensively as she did when she drove a smaller car.

The grocery gabber--ugh, they annoy me. Never fails that when I am trying to get in-and-out quick that I get stuck in aisles with several of these. And they are always completely oblivious to the other shoppers around them.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Unfortunately, it's not just the big SUVs any more.

I've seen people riding motorcycles talking on the phone.

I ride with a guy who will sometimes take phone calls in a paceline (not a tight or extremely hard paceline, but still).

Part of it is "Mr. Important," certainly, but I think most of it is the culture that lets people believe that they don't need to pay attention when they're on the road. Honestly I see more women (and girls) than men and boys talking on the phone while driving.

I mean, just start the topic on this very forum of wearing an iPod while running or riding...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

A Ford F-150 crew cab (with the extra chrome package) here, and I can assure you that no, ma'am, it doesn't work that way ;-)

I'm so glad they just made talking or texting on a cell phone (as well as reading, etc.) while driving in Washington State illegal. It's about time. Our culture has allowed people to think that it's no big deal to do while driving, and I think now that so many people are getting killed and hurt because of it, people are taking notice. However, I'm interested to see how far this goes, as a lot of people still drink and drive, and it's a similar situation.

I think part of it is you get all these smart phones, and programs like Facebook and the more you use them, the more you get addicted to them, and you begin to think as soon as you get a message or call you NEED to respond. I got my first smart phone about a year ago, and I fell into that same trap. But after "being connected" all the time, I realized I liked life better before, and recently deleted my facebook account, and now leave my cell phone off or on vibrate when out in public.
    Last edited by XMcShiftersonX; 06-11-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

I agree with the 4 WD stuff. I have had one for years (although now I have a smaller AWD sedan), as it went a long way in reducing my fear at having to learn to drive in the snow at age 37. But, I always say 4WD does not mean 4 wheel stop! For a few years I had a 40 mile commute, one way to work. There were a couple of years with just horrible blizzards, where I would routinely see people flying by me in their 4WD cars, only to see them a bit later, rolled over, in the ditch.
    Yes, I am not sure why people feel the need to be so connected constantly. I just don't have that many people to talk to, or that much to say. It's like they lose sight of everything that's going on around them, because they are on the phone.

Psyclepath, I have had similar thoughts about guys who drive around here with their snowplow attached to the front of their huge trucks, as soon as the calendar turns to November!

It's like they lose sight of everything that's going on around them, because they are on the phone.
    It's exactly like that..... studies have shown that hands free devices in cars are really no safer than cell phones without headsets..... but no legislator has yet had the cahones to put an out right ban them while driving for everyone, though it is now illegal for teens with learner permits or intermediate (restricted) licenses to do any phoning at all, hands free or not, here in Washington.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Numb-nut was on a hand-held cell. One would think that if he could afford a Mercedes SUV, he could afford the hands-free blue tooth too.
    Beth

He's probably LEASING the car (she says in a snobbish/elitist tone!). ;-)

There was a recent article in the NYT about how these devices are making people less able to focus. Call me old fashioned but I refuse to buy an Ipod, blackberry, etc. My cell phone is for emergency use only. Luckily, none of this stuff can come inside the buildings at work (actually, I feel bad for anyone who HAS to have one of these devices for their job---seems like a 24/7 tether to the office....)

Yesterday at a red light, the woman in the car next to me was texting, kept looking up to see if the light had changed. Her window was open. I couldn't resist..... down went my passenger window, "HEY, quit text and pay attention to the road." up went my window...... I had to do it.
    Last edited by Selkie; 06-12-2010 at 11:14 AM.