Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

handlebar tape question

To disable ads, please log-in.

I would like to replace the tape on the handlebar of my road bike.
    How long would it take an experienced bike mechanic to do this?
    And how long would a totally clueless person need?

Speaking as someone totally clueless ... it takes some time and a LOT of patience. Be prepared to spend a couple of hours the first few times you try it, and be careful with it because you'll probably wind up unwinding and re-wrapping several times. Starting the plug end so it doesn't make a big lump is the hardest part and I still haven't got that down. Straighter bars are easier than ergo bars - the more bumps, bends and curves, the harder it will be.

There are some good online guides to wrapping bars - I want to say I used the one on the Park Tool site.

It's a useful skill to have, so I do plan to do it myself again when my current tape needs to be replaced (probably this summer), but so far it looks a lot nicer when I let the bike shop do it. If you don't have the time or patience, it shouldn't cost much - I've never paid them to do that job alone, it's only been in conjunction with replacing shifters, etc.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

thanks for this

I botched my first attempt, but it can be done in about 15 minutes. It's a great start at doing your own stuff on the bike, and lets you change up your bike's appearance in just a few minutes.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

It takes a few minutes when the manager of my LBS does it for me. Since I'm buying the tape from him, he doesn't charge for the labor.

NY Biker, what LBS do you frequent where the manager will personally wrap your bars for free? They deserve my business.

If it's good tape, 15 minutes sounds about right. If it's a re-wrap with existing tape (like you unwrapped part-way to move a shifter), or inflexible, non-stretchy tape, it takes me longer.

For me, the hardest part is wrapping around the shifter on the left side. I'm right handed, so I have an easier time in general with the right side.

Give it a shot....it might not be perfect, but you really can't break anything

Quote Originally Posted by kmehrzad View Post
    NY Biker, what LBS do you frequent where the manager will personally wrap your bars for free? They deserve my business.
    I have never paid the LBS to install bar tape. I guess it depends on the relationship you have with the shop. It probably helps that I have bought 5 bikes in 10 years, and take them home-made cookies from time to time. To be fair, I don't have 2 of those bikes anymore, but the shop has been great to deal with over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    I have never paid the LBS to install bar tape. I guess it depends on the relationship you have with the shop. It probably helps that I have bought 5 bikes in 10 years, and take them home-made cookies from time to time. To be fair, I don't have 2 of those bikes anymore, but the shop has been great to deal with over the years.
    Well I bought the tape from them first, and in this case it was the manager who helped me with the purchase. It was The Bike Lane in Reston. I was probably buying other things from them at the same time -- I rarely get out of there without spending some money on something.

I was in The Bike Lane's Reston location on Wed. test riding a Trek 520. Nice bike and nice staff.

I just replaced mine today, and I want to say it took me about a half an hour. I am sure the people at the bike shop are faster.

I just did my second re-wrap job on my road bike and it looks awesome (if I do say so myself!). I am pretty picky, so I'd say the whole project took me 40 minutes or so. I used Cinelli cork tape this time and it's harder to wrap than the Bontrager tape I used last time, so I ended up unwrapping and rewrapping a few times before I was happy the results.

I actually think it's kind of a fun project...I think you should try it out!

I guess I'm even more incompetent at it than I thought.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Harlequin Weave for handlebars

I want to try this weave pattern sometime. I think it's such a cool look. I'll wait until it's time to change one of my bike's handlebar tape, though.

http://www.wastedlife.org/bike/harlequin/index.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9180352...9075289/page2/

I've done a couple of harlequin wraps. Frustrating but fun. Definitely easier with the cloth tape.