Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Pizza!

Pizza!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anyone have a good/healthy/lowcal recipe for Pizza? I've been dying for some and want to make enough for me and my family.

Any other good/healthy/lowcal dinners for a family would be appreciated!

Here are two that are tasty and very easy (you may notice that I'm not as partial to the tomato sauce-type pizzas!)

I saute (slowly) a couple of onions in a little olive oil till very soft and a little sweetish, then spread the onions on a pizza crust, scatter some gorgonzola cheese (not much needed since it has such a distinctive flavor, but use as much as you like), and sprinkle some fresh rosemary, salt and fresh ground pepper - coarse grind is best. Depending on how moist the onions look (or just for taste) you can add a little olive oil as well - then bake as usual. I don't know how "healthy" this is, but you can get away with very little cheese, which has to help!

Another favorite at our place is this simple pizza of sliced tomatoes, mozzarella and basil, with a little olive oil drizzled over top and salt and pepper - I reserve some of the basil leaves to add after the pizza comes out of the oven, so you get some of the fresh basil flavor. This is a great one where tomatoes (even cherry tomatoes) and basil are right out there in the garden (or at least very fresh)!

Yum! Oh, hey, it's lunch time!

Talking Mmmmm... Pizza...

I'm sure if you don't put too much cheese or fatty meats like chorizo (sp?), salami etc. on, a pizza should be reasonably good for you. Personally though, I come from the school of pizza making that tends to add whatever is on hand and might taste alright - usually along the lines of zucchini, peppers, olives, mushrooms, salami (and cheese and tomato paste of course). You can really put anything on 'em though. My favourite bar/restaurant at home does and amazing salmon, cream cheese an sweet chili pizza (and some other pretty darned good ones).

Arrgh. Drool. Is it lunchtime yet?
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Foods that work for my family

I have a teenage vegetarian in the house, so we feature some non-meat menus each week:

Hummus & pitas
    Pinto beans and cornbread
    Both vegetarian and lowfat!

Make sure your pizza crust is whole wheat - the fiber is so good for your cholesterol and it takes more work for your body to get nutrition out of it. Make your pizza a gourmet style with fresh tomatoes and feta or goat cheese (if your kids will tolerate it). You use less cheese that way.

PIzza.yummmy

I love pizza and have found a few recipies that look delicious and taste yummmyyyyy..

They're from the Australian institute of sport. (I'm not an elite athlete by any stretch of the imagination however i liked thier recipies)

http://www.ais.org.au/nutrition/

I;ve just started to learn how to cook and have bought 4-5 cookbooks!!!

My dear loves me and the fact i'm attempting to try!!!!

c

Pizza dough is easy to make, especially the non-yeast versions and using whole wheat flour works great. Like someone else said, it's the toppings that cause all the ruckus. There are some great ideas here, thanks for starting this thread!

Mmmmmmmmmmm, pizza. I know what I'm making for dinner tonight!
    Last edited by singletrackmind; 09-02-2005 at 07:08 AM.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

I've gotten into making home-made pizza a lot after my husband and I found ourselves pigging out on Pizza Hut every week (a quick way to put on pounds). I use Betty Crocker pizza crust, just add water. It's really easy. Then I top with a lot of pizza sauce. I get the store brand, it has a lot of flavor and its cheaper. And then I top with veggies and add just a little mozza cheese (if any). If I want to add meat, I'll griill a chicken breast and have that with spinache.

For a small pizza lunch try cutting a plain English Muffin in half and topping with your favourite things and then place under the griller. Yummy on a cold day and super easy.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Acg ...

I use the low carb tortilla wraps for the pizza crust then put whatever I want on top. Bake for 15 min or so, just make sure the "crust" doesn't burn around the edges.

I like Applebee's veggie patch pizzas, so I too used to use tortilla shells, sometimes a bit of alfredo sauce spread thinly across it and then put veggies and some mozzarella on it. The problem... sometimes too many veggies for the shell to support.

I'm sure you're not! I like making them from scratch though, because they're dead easy to make, they taste really, really good and you get exactly what you want on 'em. I got into the habit when I was in one of my living with Mum & Dad (again!) phases because it was a way a way of not only averting culinary disaster when I had to cook, but it was pretty much a guaranteed successful meal. (Don't mind cooking for myself, but kinda loathe cooking for other people.) Haven't made one for ages though - this flat's oven is on it's last legs and although it's fine for heating things up and grilling (although my flatmate tells me that the grill's on the blink now ), I don't really trust it for the full on cooking of stuff.
    Last edited by DirtDiva; 10-10-2005 at 09:40 AM.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.