Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Basal Cell Skin Cancer

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,

My partner was diagnosed with basal cell skin cancer yesterday. We are pretty freaked out. They have her scheduled for the mohrs procedure in six weeks (we don't understand why so far out, looking for another dermatologist to do this sooner...)

Have any of you had skin cancer? We are very active biking and hiking, and are already very careful about using sunscreen and hats (wrong sunscreen though, we are going to change to a correct brand with the right ingredients). We wonder how this is going to impact our active lifestyle. We are scared.

If any of you know of a good dermatologist in Phoenix, let me know. Thanks for your help.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

I had malignant melanoma.

Best wishes to both of you. It will be ok. Basal cell is slow growing stuff. If 6 weeks out feels wrong to you, call the doc and ask for more info and clarification.

Skin cancer won't change your activities. You just start wearing long sleeve sun shirts and long pants. SusanO keeps a supply of great looking spf clothes to choose from here on TE, and all are over 30 spf. My favorite is a t-shirt by Shebeest. They are not too hot. You can buy longsleeve spf rashguards for swimming, long sleeve and vented sun jackets to throw on over your tank tops if you go outside. More big hats.

Sunscreen and sunblocks are good (and now you know to get the ones with both chemical screens and physical blocks) but your best protection is clothing. And even with clothing, I put block on my skin if I'm going to be out a long time.

Remember that the vast majority of the radiation that leads to skin cancer is absorbed in childhood. Not now. So, wearing screen instead of a screen/block combo is not what lead to the basal cell carcinoma. Don't blame yourselves!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Search TE for "sun protective" got me this result: http://www.teamestrogen.com/search.e...ance-desc&pn=0

My favorite sun jacket is a kayaking shirt: http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=wdsh The current model is nicer than the older one I've got, but I love it. I can throw it on over a sundress or tank top and stay cool even in hot California sun, and it works fine on the bike. (I can burn in 10 minutes of sunlight) Throwing on a jacket and hat to deal with sun is just like throwing on a jacket and hat to deal with rain.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Basal cell is not only slow growing, it's not malignant. I come from parents who, between them, have probably had 50 of them removed. About 5 years ago my dad had a huge one treated on his chest, and while it was miserable, he recovered fine.
    Being the fairest of 4 children and repeatedly fried to a crisp growing up in Colorado, I have had a handful removed already, and I am only in my mid 40's. It is something I have just accepted. I see the dermatologist twice a year at least to stay on top of it.
    Mohs is good as it will leave minimal scarring. It potentially takes quite a bit of time to do it, which is probably why you have to wait this long. No need to worry much. Basal cell carcinomas are extremely common and not life threatening.
    I no longer hang out in the sun during the middle of the day, ever. I am somewhat sun phobic, ironic given where I live (Santa Fe). I use sunscreens with as few or no chemicals in them. I wear hats.
    There are alternative remedies, mostly topical, and if you want to know about them, pm me. I have used them so far with complete success on two "spots," but they should not replace seeing the dermatologist, biopsies, etc...

My partner has had several basal cell growths removed from her back and legs. Even though she now wears big hats, long sleeves, pants, .... she will likely continue having these growths because, as mentioned already, the damage mostly occurred in childhood. It doesn't hurt to explore different treatment options - some of the growths have been cut out and she is currently trying a topical chemo treatment to a couple of growths on her leg in hopes of avoiding the big scars that come with cutting them out.

Gals,

Laurie and I cannot thank you enough. You all have been so helpful...

Lisa
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

Both my parents had occurrences of this. It was not a big deal at all. Good luck!

Pam

Lisa-

No personal experiences to share, but wanted to wish both you and your partner the best. Please continue to share w/us as you can, and let us know what you find out re: Sunscreen. Scary stuff!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Best wishes to both of you. It will be ok. Basal cell is slow growing stuff. If 6 weeks out feels wrong to you, call the doc and ask for more info and clarification.
    It sounds to me like a call to the doctor would be helpful, regardless. He gave you a diagnosis and then let you leave the office without enough information to understand what's going on.

Good luck!

Hi Lisa,

You've already gotten great advice, but I thought I'd chime in as well. My husband has had numerous basal cell carcinomas removed over the years. He had very bad experiences with docs in the Phoenix area, but since moving to Northern CA he has had wonderful care and many successful Mohs surgeries. Not saying you have to move to CA . . . just saying we don't have any good referals for the Phoenix area!

Basal cell carcinoma, if left untreated, can be disfiguring, but it's very rarely fatal.

I encourage you to shop around for a dermatologist you trust. My husband was misdiagnosed by three different docs before he demanded a biopsy. Make sure you find someone who is going to take the time to explain all your options to you (there are several treatment therapies available, such as topical chemo-type creams if caught early enough, run-of-the-mill excision, mohs micrographic surgery, etc.).

Remember, UPF clothing and sunscreen are your best friends -- cover up! The sun is not!

P.S. Just a quick correction to lunacycles: basal cell carcinoma IS malignant, that's the nature of cancer. It rarely metastisizes or causes death though. Mainly just in those that leave it untreated for years and years and years so that it causes deep open wounds, ripe for infection.

"Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common malignancy in humans. It typically occurs in areas of chronic sun exposure. BCC is usually slow growing and rarely metastasizes, but it can cause clinically significant local destruction and disfigurement if neglected or inadequately treated. Prognosis is excellent with proper therapy."

Quote Originally Posted by itself View Post
    Hi all,

Have any of you had skin cancer? We are very active biking and hiking, and are already very careful about using sunscreen and hats (wrong sunscreen though, we are going to change to a correct brand with the right ingredients). We wonder how this is going to impact our active lifestyle. We are scared.
    hey there,
    i am sorry to hear about your partner's basal cell. i have had both basal cell and squamous cell and also the mohs surgery. she will be fine.

my first basal was on my shoulder where my bra strap is and it started as a pink spot that itched, then hurt, then bled, then went away, then came back. i have a 3" scar on my shoulder from the surgery and have had no complications.

the other was a combo of the basal and squamous which was on my left cheek (face, not butt ) and i pointed it out to my derma and she didn't want to biopsy it but i made her. it came back positive for both and i had the mohs surgery shortly thereafter. no one can tell i have a 3" scar on my cheek and so far, i have had no reoccurances.

make sure your partner gets to the derma and has a full body check every 6 months because she is i think 40% more likely to have a reoccurance now that she's had one.

if you have any questions, pm me or i'll try to check back. i stay out of the sun while unprotected and haven't used a tanning bed in 6 years. we need to be our own advocates with regard to our skin (glad i made my doc do the biopsy) and we need to remember it's ok to NOT be tan.
    Gary Fisher is the other man in my life!

Coincidentally, Boure is running a sale on some of their SPF/UPF cycling jerseys. I have one and love it, and am about to place an order for another . . . right now they have one for pre-sale and another on clearance . . . also, another at regular price.

The full-length SPF/UPF tights I have are discontinued (CW-X). As soon as I found out they were being discontinued I stocked up with the remaining ones in my size from Zappos. Hopefully they come out with more options there. I ONLY run and cycle in SPF/UPF full length tights and sleeves -- even in 100+ degree weather. And cake on the zinc oxide/titanium dioxide (non-chemical) sunscreen!

www.boure.com

I encourage you to shop around for a dermatologist you trust.
    This is very good advice. Seems obvious, but there are a lot of surprisingly bad ones out there (I am on #4). I too have had to point spots out that were indeed bcc's but the dermatologist overlooked them. Also I have a 4 inch frankenstein scar on my right forearm that is mindblowingly big and was pretty poorly stitched, especially considering the size of the bcc.
    I've also tried Aldara, the chemo cream stuff, and one can have no reaction or a complete systemic one (guess which I had?). When I told my derm she scratched her head, but it cost me 2 $$ trips to an ENT doctor to rule out lymphoma! It was sad that I knew more about what was happening than my doctors!!

So, it is potentially serious stuff, and you do want to trust the one who's taking care of you.

Also, if they think freezing is a good approach to something that is clearly "something" but hasn't been biopsied, run for the hills. I have had two bcc's frozen off (I guess it was for my convenience, or was it theirs?? at $80 per spray) that returned and became a much larger problem than they needed to be had they been treated right the first time.

Wow, I didn't know I had a rant in me today..!

My BF swears by the Boure SPF jerseys. He just ordered two more and will wear them every day of our upcoming weeklong tour.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Her dermatologist is Dr. Jennifer Linder, and although her credentials are impressive, when she does a skin check in the office, she spends barely two minutes with you. Not impressed at all.

A good friend of ours uses Dr. Kristine Romine, also impressive credentials. Laurie tried transferring her records there this morning as they have an appt much sooner. Interesting enough, Dr. Linders office stalled in faxing the records over there as the gal was not pushy, but said she would try to get an appt for next week instead of six weeks. This seems acceptable. We just want to get this done, and the Mohrs procedure isn't something that can be rushed like a skin check. We will be in there about four hours.

We are beginning to calm down, great information here, and great advice.

Heartfelt thanks...

Lisa
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1