Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: minor rant...

minor rant...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been enjoying classes for the most part BUT...

*Please don't play the music REALLY loud. It's not necessary.

*Can we tell you if your choices really stink? I'm pretty good about liking stuff but 15 mintues of Madonna followed by Dolly parton followed by disco (really) was terrible.

*don't sing along... save that for the shower.

/rant done now.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Wink

i think it is ok to mention that you dislike the music. generally, there will be other people who will speak up if you do. make suggestions, i even offerred to bring in some of my own cd's for my instructor to burn.

Music

Hey Guys

one of the most difficult things an instructor has to deal with is the music. We have to balance what we may find inspiring to teach to (although Dolly Parton isnt what i had in mind hahaha) as well as the likes and the dislikes of the class. I have 14 participants in one of my classes. I can't satisfy every one of their music tastes, but i do try to mix it up a little and hopefully everyone hears a little something that they enjoy.

Making suggestions is great but it is difficult to add songs to spin profiles sometimes. One of my participants made a great CD for me but unfortunately i couldn't really add in any of the songs except a few. Also keep in mind that it takes A LONG TIME to put a CD together. i download songs, sift through my boyfriends collection and carefully select songs to match a profile. This takes time and effort and i am only now getting used to not taking song complaints too personally. i know how much work i put into making the CD, and to be honest i think many participants don't realize that.

Just my two cents
    Han

I'm an instructor and my people tell me if they like the music and they tell me if they don't..it's just as important/it's all good. As a "paying customer" you have the right to give your instructors feedback. If we didn't get feed back, we'd all still be doing Jane Fonda thigh-thingies and yelling "WOO!" spontaniously, as if that helps people get a better work out or something...I 've always hated "Woo-ing" so, you don't get to hear that in my class...

Also, I like when people bring me music, but, I also tell them that if it doesn't meet the class format, that I won't use it. If one of my students brought me something repugnant to my taste, I'd gracefully decline. To each her own....

I was in a spin class last week where the instructor did 20 minutes of "Journey"...it sucked, but other people were singing along. I and the guy next to me were talking and decided that we wanted to hear James Brown, so, when I'm certified, guess what? James Brown at the Appollo! Also, the "Blue Man Group" CD has no vocals and is all percussion...it is paced well for riding.

Thanks for the "feed back".

Terry

Music in spin classes

After teaching spin for two winter seasons now, I have quite a bit of music built up. It's been interesting, and fun, finding out how much music is out there! I always tell the class to let me know if they really don't like any particular music, if it's too loud, too quiet. I believe the music can make or break the class. I also think it's important for the instructor to get into her/his music. That carries over to the riders. They can tell if you are excited about your music or not. If you are enthused about it, it helps the class motivation. I often tell them why I picked a particular song for a particular move. And sometimes they'll suggest music, which I will use if if works. I agree, that it takes a large amount of time to create a new CD, but I think it's worth it. I would rather choose my own music than buy someone else's choices.

Right now, I am just glad it's spring and outdoor riding is taking over from spinning!

Annie
    -Get on your bikes and ride!-

Music -- be creative!

I just received my certification and music is such an important piece I think to a successful class. And that include playing things maybe you as an instructor does not like, because your class does. And creativity is so important -- I have had instructors that just bring in a CD and play it...incredibly boring and the class does not flow.

So, tell your instructors you want them to put more thought into their music! It's part of good visualization and a good class.

If you are interested, www.spinning.com also has forums, and there are music forums for instructors with good ideas, etc.
    Ride like a girl.

Renee

you won't catch me inside until fall but anyway..

"Venus de Velo" has got to be the most cool alias I've ever seen...I wish I'd thought of that.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Here I am, fishing in the 'old thread' pond again

Music and spinning: gotta have it. BUT in gyms the decibel level is usually a cilia killer.

I spin (or spun) at home on my bike with my stereo. I drape a towel across my frame so the acid rain of my pharmaceutically enhanced sweat doesn't take the paint off, put on the old BOSE headphones (so as not to disturb the household) and I load the soundtrack from MATRIX (the 1st one) into the CD player. It works... thus I work. Also like to use Aerosmith, Van Halen and Lita Ford.

I love all kinds of music... somes good for dancin', smoochin' and conversin'. But Rock; hard rock is my workout stuff.

Whooops! Would you look at that... I put this in the wrong old thread. Sorry girls
    Last edited by spazzdog; 08-18-2004 at 03:38 PM.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

you have your own "spin" bike - not rollers or a trainer, but a real spin bike?

fishing in old threads when you are new to a board can be kinda fun.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Nope, no "spin" bike... though gear hound that I am, how I missed that purchase is beyond me (I'll be it was a chechbook screamer).

No, I use a CyClops trainer. In my prior life of fitness, I loaded my old Trek1000 on it stuck a New York phone book under the front wheel and would go for an hour or so.

Now as I re-approach fitness, I purchased an official bike 'riser' and I'll put my new pony, Epesi (Allez Comp) on the CyClops. But the music I mentioned will be there... plus I just ordered some Spinerval DVD's for the long cold New England winter.

As to the 'thread fishing', it is fun... lots of great info and funny stories. It's like being at a potluck with no bad food or dirty dishes.

Whose turn is it to bring the chips...
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

spazzdog wrote: 'thread fishing', it is fun... It's like being at a potluck with no bad food or dirty dishes."

old threads, like fine wine...and us TE gals...just get better.

as for the music my pet peeve is; spin instructors who adjust the speed of the cd to fit the pace, my favorite spin instructors taste is ok, some ok new age instrumentals, Matrix soundtrack (a lot), world music, zydeco, U2, wilson phillips but she'll choose a fast song then slow it to fit the cadence or speed up a slow song.

I have perfect pitch, so have the musicans who recorded prob'ly. It's like nails on a blackboard as the tune goes flat then sharp then flat...

pick...a...different...tune if it's not the right speed.

have a cycleops at home, usualy just watch the tv, sprint during commercials. Man, are there a lot of commercials 8-(
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I did some spinning over the winter ... I gotta agree that the music can get a little loud. Actually, I don't mind the loud music, but at the YMCA where I went they apparently couldn't adjust the volume of the mic. I have trouble understanding words in ambient sound (conversations in bars, etc), so for me this means almost never actually hearing what I'm supposed to be doing. Argh!

One of the instructors managed to project her voice well enough to overcome this -- the others didn't.
    monique

Bond?

I am not sure if anyone has ever heard of Bond they are an all girl classical group. They play violin, viola and cello(sp?). Anyway they are great the have a nice background band and it is very upbeat. There first self titled CD is my favorite. There are no words so you don't have to worry about the tone death of the bunch trying to sing along.

Just a thought...
    Jessie

Glad to hear you like Bond, Waverly. I used quite of bit of Bond music in spin classes last winter. It was favorably received. I like to use instrumental music, I think it helps to focus on the riding. But there's quite a few people who like songs they know. So the best is usually a mix of the two.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

I love Bond! And DUH that I am, I've never concidered loading it when on the trainer.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for blasting through the cobwebs of my mind
    no regrets!

Spazzdog Ink Gallery