Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, so today I did 11 miles or so (5.5+ each way) on the Brooks B68. The lady bits feel pretty good, actually; some smushing while riding but not bad. (I'm not riding in bike shorts; don't have any that fit at present.) The sitbones are pretty sore, however. I'm hoping that as it breaks in (and I toughen up?) this will go away some...right? Or is this an indication that this isn't the seat for me?

The first week or so was pretty painful on my sitbones. It was much easier to take than the pain and numbness from cutout saddles I had been experiencing. I did break down and find some bike shorts I liked to finish breaking in the saddle. After that, though, I almost never ride that bike in bike shorts. The sitbones toughened up, the saddle dented in the right places, and all was right with the world. I really do love that saddle.

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that! I ordered some shorts, but they won't be here for a while. Hope my butt holds out until then.

This Brooks might be the thing!

So yesterday I did over 30 miles, which (while I know it's not huge) was the longest single-day total for me so far! I'm thinking the Brooks saddle is going to work out for me just fine; my lady bits aren't numb or sore after, and my sitbones are even doing pretty well. I did have some chafing in the butt-cheek area (between the butt and thigh) by the end, but I think that has to do with the yoga pants getting folded in there. It's weird with the Brooks; I started out wearing shorts over the yoga pants in order to provide extra padding for the sitbones, but took them off a mile down the road; the extra padding is actually LESS comfortable, especially in the crotch area.

Now I just need to investigate the chafing threads...I'm thinking I need to buy some proper bike shorts that DON'T have extra padding. The quest continues...but my butt is pretty happy!

Quote Originally Posted by artifactos View Post
    The hard chair test is actually not a very accurate test for me. My butt and thighs provide enough padding that I can't find any angle on a hard chair that hurts the same way a saddle does. Weird, huh?
    I have the same exact problem. I cannot replicate the pain, while sitting on a chair...but put a saddle underneath me, and it's a totally different story.

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    I have the same exact problem. I cannot replicate the pain, while sitting on a chair...but put a saddle underneath me, and it's a totally different story.
    As I've said before, it's not going to replicate the pain. But it will feel uncomfortable and smushed.

If sitting on a hard bench with your elbows resting on your knees is uncomfortable, then you know you should probably get a cut out.

Nothing will replicate the pain. But I can hold my hand over a fire and know it's uncomfortable, without having to bury my hands in the glowing coals to be sure.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson