Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Carbon bike pulling a trail a bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Any moms out there pulling a "trail a bike" with a carbon frame road bike?
    We are heading to Colorado next month and I would like to take my 5 year old up Gold Camp Road in Colorado Springs with me. Not sure how the frame will hold up though. I usually pull it behind my antique steel Trek but would love to use my new bike this year. Any suggestions?

How does the trailer attach?

I wouldn't use one that attaches to the seatpost or to the chainstays. MAYBE would consider one that attached through the axel as the stress is better spread out.

That said, I had a trailer (attached to the axel) get hit and flipped over. It sheared the hitch and pulled my 33lb, thick aluminum mountain bike unrideabley out of alignment...

That's not likely to happen under normal circumstances (unless maybe you flip it into a ditch and somehow prevent the bike from following). Mine got hit by a snowplow while locked to a rack...

It's not really so much the carbon fiber (at least for me), but just the skinny,thin,fragile tubing that typically makes up high performance road bikes. It's just not overbuilt enough for me to trust with "unusual" forces. Now, if you were talking about a carbon fiber downhill mountain bike (yes, they make those), I'd say sure, hook an axle bolt trailer to it, no problem.

The Adam's Trail a Bike looks like a regular bike but without the front wheel. It attaches to your seat post. I will probably just ride my good ol' Trek and save my new baby for the times I get to ride alone.

DUH! Not sure why I thought trailer!!

Yea, I wouldn't do any seatpost attachments. That can be a big weak point as it is.