Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homemade chamois lube/butter/cream?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Curious...has anyone ever made their own? I have ideas of what I would put in it if I made some...the trick is figuring out quantities of individual ingredients. So many things I could purchase at my local health food store or online. I'm guessing I'd want to fridge what wouldn't fit in a smallish-tub. Are there preservatives that would be skin-friendly?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

If you just use pure shea butter as I do, no mixing and no preservatives required. Most natural food stores have it any more. I've seen it in garden stores as well.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Shea butter would definitely be high on my list of main ingredients...as are cocoa butter, tea tree oil, lavender oil, and maybe aloe. I also use a silicone-based lube for running (Sport Shield). I see silicone/dimethicone in a lot of commercial butt butters and think I'd try that, too. A little goes a long way and I've never found anything water-based that has the lasting power of that stuff.

I'm thinking that even with small quantities of each ingredient that I could make a ton of butter and tweak things with each small batch. Since both DH and I ride we could spend a small fortune on the commercial stuff. He just tried DZ Nuts and loves it, but that price tag... *swoon*
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I didn't know you could make home made chamois lube. Do you have a recipe to share? I currently use Vaseline or KY Jelly and neither are terribly ideal for me. Small digression: Are you really supposed to put chamois lube down there? Won't it cause problems?

I don't have a recipe, yet...and I want to use up the various butters I have, now, before I start experimenting too much. I have an idea of how I might do it, though.

Yep, as long as none of the ingredients are irritating you can use them anywhere where you have body contacting saddle in some way. I find that one area that tends to bother me is the seams where the chamois is attached to the shorts. So for those spots that bother me I will even extend a bit of butter to the edges.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I use coconut oil for my chamois cream. It works great and is solid form if your house is below 78 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by alexis_the_tiny View Post
    I didn't know you could make home made chamois lube. Do you have a recipe to share? I currently use Vaseline or KY Jelly and neither are terribly ideal for me. Small digression: Are you really supposed to put chamois lube down there? Won't it cause problems?
    Yes, as long as the ingredients doesn't cause discomfort. I have found that applying the lube directly (and to the chamois as well) seems to provide the best results. If I reapply then I apply it directly.

I like the idea of a very simple one or two ingredient lube. I would use pure shea butter or coconut oil if I hadn't found a commercial product that has natural ingredients.

I tried to go without using anything, but had to give that idea up and am much, much happier

I've used A&D lotion for years. I think it's typically used for diaper rash.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Ok, i'm getting the message that these products help make a long ride more tolerable on your skin.

I have absolutely no knowledge of how to use the products and what affect they have on skin and fabric.

Where does it go? Anywhere your skin is rubbing I assume.

How much is enough? Just a dab will do ya?

Is is placed on the fabric too? If so, just in those spots where the rubbin occurs, right?

Does it show through the shorts?

Does it stain the fabric?

Does it wear off after a few miles, or, how long does an application last?

It's purpose is to help skin slide over fabric instead of rub against it, correct?

Have I missed anything?

After 50 miles on a new saddle, I'm in need of something.

Dogmma, thanks for the tip about A&D. I'm hoping to better understand how these products work and the best approach to use them.

Thanks

A Complete Novice Willing to Learn

I used water based "down there" gel and it works very well.
    I can do five more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    Where does it go? Anywhere your skin is rubbing I assume.
    Yep.

How much is enough? Just a dab will do ya?
    Depends on what you're using. Stuff that soaks in or flies off like Chamois Butt'r, you may need a lot. Stuff like Aquaphor or A&D that will mat your hair, same thing, since you need enough to slide. Shea butter, just a dab.

Is it placed on the fabric too? If so, just in those spots where the rubbin occurs, right?
    Yep.

Does it show through the shorts?
    Not with black shorts. Can't speak to any other color.

Does it stain the fabric?
    Doesn't stain Lycra, but some formulations may leave residue. A&D will stink for decades. Literally. I haven't used any since 1993, but the one pair of shorts I still wear from those days still smells like it, as do all my old jerseys that were stored with those shorts. Shea butter can leave a little bit of residue that will be whitish at room temperature, but once you put them on, your body warmth will melt it and it's no longer visible.

Again, depends on what you're using. One application of shea butter is good for at least 50-60 miles, but if I have to pee a lot someplace where there's access to toilet paper and it actually gets wiped, then the lube may get wiped off, too. Chamois Butt'r and Beljum Butt'r, probably 30 miles max.

It's purpose is to help skin slide over fabric instead of rub against it, correct?
    Exactly, and that's why it's a supplement and not a substitute for shorts and saddles that fit you well.

I use opossum fat, just like my granny did.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Opossum rendering day still stinks up the neighborhood, though.

I miss Zen.

You DC area gals still in touch with her?

Read a great tip somewhere: put a glob of whatever you use in a snack size zip-lock. When you stop to refresh, open bag, turn inside out and apply without getting hands greasy. I stuffed a few baggies in my shirt back pocket. Worked wonderfully -- and made ALL the difference in my comfort!!