Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Embarassing Saddle Issues...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey all. I got myself a road bike about 4 months ago and I've started noticing a problem with the saddle. Since all the people who've been fitting me on the bike are guys, its a little hard to tell them about it even though I'm usually capable of being pretty crude. The trouble is, in the position my saddle is in, it helps me get a nice speed going but I'm sitting on my cl*t. As in, my whole body weight is crushing it into my saddle. I can prolong the time before the whole area goes numb by cranking a heavy gear but when I want to spin, it goes from overstimulated to painful to numb within a few seconds. It's extremely annoying and I've tried tilting my saddle, lowering the seat post and whatnot. The result is always the same, either I end up in a position that makes me ride really slowly - <28km/h or I'm sitting on there. Anyone know what to do?

Lake Superior in the summer; southern WI the rest of the year
    Try a different saddle. I can only ride on saddles with cutouts, for exactly the reason you describe. Stock saddles that come with the bikes aren't exactly great.

In addition to that, make sure your saddle is on the firmer side (I had issues and really like the Specialized BG Jett). Squishy saddles seem to encourage pressure on the soft girl bits, instead of supporting the weight and pressure at your sit-bones.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm using a Fizik Nisene that has been on my hardtail for the last couple of years. Its not squishy by any means but it doesn't seem to fly for the road bike. Will go test some saddles with cut outs later this week...

Try tilting the forward end of the saddle down about 1/16th inch. That may be all you need to releive the pressure.

Have you read the threads about saddle fitting? If the saddle is too narrow for you - or if it's the wrong shape so that it forces you to ride on the nose - it can cause a lot of grief.

Even though the saddle worked on your MTB, you're on a different part of your sitbones in road bike riding position. So what fits you for one might not for the other.

Tilt is definitely a possibility - especially if you're getting pressure that far forward, unless you're in an extreme aero tuck. You can cut a piece of metal out of a steel can to shim your seatpost if you need a tilt that's between what the grooves allow you, if you don't want to spring for a micro-adjustable seatpost.

IME most cut-outs don't extend far enough forward to relieve pressure on the clitoris, anyway. They're mainly made to accommodate large labia. Selle SMP models have a very long cut-out, so that might be something for you to try if tilt and rear size don't solve your problem.

Good luck - saddle issues are miserable.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

+1 for the jett. I actually think the cutout does extend forward enough. Funnily enough, really padded shorts don't help as they just take up space in the cutout. Also I tilt my saddle up (by about 9 degrees - according to my iphone). I find it feels like a nice comfy cradle on my sensitive front parts. The other thing to check is your reach on the bike. If the bike is too long/is set up too long, then you will be too stretched out which will rock you forwards & put even more pressure just where you don't want it!!

If you go to a Specialized concept store they do test saddles so you can try the Jett out. They will also measure your sit bones. I am 5'1" & take the 155mm on my road bike, but the 143mm on my track bike, as I am rocked further forwards & often on the drops - so the width you need does depend upon your position.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by alimey View Post
    +1 for the jett. I actually think the cutout does extend forward enough. Funnily enough, really padded shorts don't help as they just take up space in the cutout.
    I'm thinking this is true, as well. I'm searching for shorts with less poofy padding than the PIs, but the placement of the chamois in their shorts is SO much better than anything I have found. At least my Jett saddle is a better fit than anything else I have tried. I have one part of the equation figured-out.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

True, I've been considering that my Jett is still not T-shaped enough for me. It may be pushing me forward of its ideal seating position.

It's also a bit squishy - better than the Lithia I rode before, but Spec' does make a firmer saddle, the Ruby.

Still coveting the SI Turbomatic, but just can't justify the price until I've worn out my Jett, which is "close enough" for the time being, as was my Lithia before. Better start riding more so I can wear the Jett out!

+1 on minimal chamois. Thick chamois and squishy saddles make everything so much worse, I don't know why they even make those.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    +1 on minimal chamois. Thick chamois and squishy saddles make everything so much worse, I don't know why they even make those.
    Agreed! I think I could tolerate a squishy saddle better than a thick pad. I tried the Jett and it just wasn't for me. I'm using the Selle Italia Lady Marco right now and have been pleased so far.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    It's also a bit squishy - better than the Lithia I rode before, but Spec' does make a firmer saddle, the Ruby.
    I've been thinking that maybe when my own Jett is ready for replacement that I would try the Ruby. I like the overall shape and size of my Jett.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I didn't read the other replies, but sounds like you might need a different saddle. Maybe something with a cut out, though not necessarily. I used to have a similar issue as you (though not as severe). I had the Terry Damselfly. I now have the Selle San Marco Mantra. It has a very big cut out and my "parts" don't get squished.

Everyone is different as to what works for them, so you probably need to try several saddles to know what will work for you. There are some stores that will let you ride around briefly on a saddle to at least get an idea if it might work. Performance Bike (.com) has an unconditional money back guarantee, so you can buy it, try it and return it at any time for a full refund or exchange. I just found out an LBS in my area will let you buy a saddle and you can "exchange" it and keep trying new ones until you find the right one. No refunds, buy they'll let you keep trying new ones.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Puffy padded saddles and puffy thick chamois pads = more pressure pushing back against your soft parts.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had a lot of trouble with pressure from the front of my pelvis crushing my soft tissue. I switched my saddle out a few times, and FINALLY got relief with an Adamo. The Adamo then caused some SI joint issues as it was initially installed, but further adjustments have made it perfect. I never want to go back to the kind of pain I was experiencing before!!
    “Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all.”
    - Emily Dickinson

Update on Jett vs Ruby. I loved my old Jett - it was the really hard one. But in the UK it only comes in black & I wanted a white one. Off to the US in July so I thought I would also look at the Ruby as it looks a little slicker. Went to my local Specialized Concept store & borrowed a Ruby & a Jett in my width (155mm). I liked how hard the Ruby was - but the cutout is just not as large as the Jett & was definitely compromised by padded shorts. So out w/ the Ruby. I have yet to try out the new Jett (I have it on my bike waiting) as it seems to me that they have made it a lot more squishy than it used to be. I really hope it is OK because then I can buy lovely new white ones when I go to the US - otherwise I am going to load up on old style black ones so I don't run out of saddles before my butt runs out of go . . .