Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ride with cyclists who are stronger than you are...it will make you a stronger cyclist.

It works!

~Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

commute advice:

get everything ready the night before, tires pumped, clothes laid out. nothing spoils your resolve to ride as "I can't find my helmet, oh s***, I'll drive".

If you're ready to go you'll go.

charity rides/centuries:
    have a routine to get into and outa the rest stop quickly. mine is: keep spare cliff bars etc in jersey pocket I ride in, park the bike, try to remember where it is, doff the gloves, rotate my water bottles, get into the porta pottie line

eat, drink, stretch in line. Exit porta pottie stage right, wash hands *then* go get food. Eat if I'm still hungry and get an extra bar or two for the same routine next stop.

for our TE ALC'ers-inflate your tires on your way OUT each day. Many ALC riders try to save time by pumping the tires full when they come into camp. I tried to remind them to top it off in the morning.

Remember HS science class? Hot air expands, cold deflates. You come in from the ride your tires are hot, your bike stays outside all night that air you put in? Gone and you're more likely to get flats.

So when you get into camp park the bike and enjoy a good meal, hot shower, massage, concentrate on recovery. Leave the floor pump for the morning.

latest I learned from jobob:
    need a break on a hill? The best place is right before a switchback. Likely it's flat, visible and best place to get going before the turn.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I second this one...

Quote Originally Posted by ccnyc
    1. Sit all the way back on the seat when riding uphill (especially steep ones).
    I've taken to doing this recently and it seems to have helped my hill performance significantly (not to mention the fact that my crotch seems to appreciate the change of scenery as I rarely stand ). That and riding more regularly than I had been. Distances still aren't increasing (I'm still blown at the end of the ride), but I'm riding faster and feeling stronger.

Hold your body up with your core muscles (only they weren't called "core muscles" at the time), and you'll feel an obvious difference in the power going to your pedals.

I've gotten lots of good advice over the years but most recently... to relax and take a rest while climbing up hills. OK what does that mean? It means use your low gears, start out slowly and comfortably and once you hit a nice cadence, pick it up slowly. Near the top you shuld have enough left to stand and dash (or on a mountain bike, pick up the cadence and push). I used to rush the hills and peter out towards the top. No more!!! I used to avoid hills and now I seek them out. I eat hills for breakfast!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Draw a circle with your toe.

I think about this when I'm in a particularly tough climb or otherwise feeling puny. I think it works because it forces me to really focus on that one image (and motion) and I find that I usually end up going a little faster without extra effort.

road: learning about drafting

mtb: stand up and pedal in technical sections

Abarensfield7, if it's really wet and your mtbing on wet roots, letting a little bit of pressure out of your tires will give you more grip. Not enough to pinch flat, just enough to give you a little more tread on the roots.

Mountain Biking: When faced with a difficult part of a trail: Do, or Do Not. In other words, make a decision to ride it fully committed, or get off and walk it. It's when I am hesitant that I am likely to wreck.

Two things for me too:

Stand up more.

If you focus on it, you will hit it. (That's kind of related to look where you want to go- don't look where you don't want to go!)

Never let on how much you're suffering (especially important when riding with men)

Bring a snack

Don't wear cotton underwear

Hmmm....so many of these are great.

Couple of different ones that really helped me...

1) In the sand...keep your speed, shift down and pedal like mad to get through. Do not turn the handle bars to change direction. I used to be really cautious at sandy bottom hills and would fall all the time!

2) First started mountain biking...SHIFT!!! Shift all the time

Ride with people who are faster and will drop you. I find that when rides that regroup I don't push as hard to stay with them. And, depending on the group, think like a guy-otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy.

Great thread!

From my D.H.: "We don't stop on hills, we just slow right down and slog away 'til we get to the top".
    Second the advice about sitting back in the saddle.
    Life is Good!

1. eat every 15-20 miles on any ride over 20...and drink in small sips continuously... taking big gulps doesn't give your body time to absorb the fluid... resulting in the need to pee frequently

2. put your extra tube in a ziploc with some baby powder... the tube then slips into the tire easily and reduces the chance of a pinch flat!

3. always keep your core covered as that is where your power comes from... will reduce the risk of injury, and always cover your knees in temps below 60 degrees (these two from John Howard!)
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

"the saddle is not a sofa. Get off the sofa" (mountain biking)
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM