Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Worn this as teen cyclist?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Would you have risked being uncool as a teenage girl cyclist in your time to wear the outfit below?

She came with her Mom (well, looked like an adult woman) and the young girl. All three biked and dropped by the bike commuter station that was temporarily set up for a few hrs. today ..in celebration of Bike to Work, also Bike to School Wk. now.

Girl is wearing rain pants under her school uniform kilt skirt.
    Courage to her to be uncool! But bike cool now!! Maybe she went to an all-girl's private school where there MIGHT be some less pressure on the fashion stuff in some girl groups.

But it's tough to be a teenage girl and bike to school often. It's nice to see the rare one.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 05-07-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

When I was in "junior high" in a bicycle-friendly country, the school next to ours was a really conservative school and the girls were not allowed to wear slacks. Many of them cycled to school in slacks (and often rain pants too) so they wouldn't freeze, and would pop into the bicycle cellar in our school to change into the required skirts before heading over to their own school. Seeing the picture you posted reminded me of those long-ago days!

What was the weather like that day? Rain pants are always cool. I think the whole ensemble is great topped off with a practical storage, bike bag etc.

Good for her finding a practical comfortable solution. And with a very cool and fun helmet.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I don't see a problem with what she's wearing. I wore wool cycling shorts with real leather chamois back when I was in high school (pre-lycra and pre-bikes-as-cool). I don't think I was ridiculed--at least if I was I didn't know about it, so it doesn't matter.

Her outfit looks pretty normal to me. Bike commuters wear all kinds of things.

I wouldn't make too many assumptions based on age.

Sadly, I would be more concerned about her getting made fun of because of the helmet than the pants. I always got ridiculed for mine - both on the bike and the horse. Mom and Dad never budged and after many falls off my bike and being run over by numerous horses, even kicked in the head after being rolled on, I am still alive!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    It was slightly rainy drizzly this morning.

Her outfit for cycling with rain pants underneath..wouldn't be typical for a teenage GIRL, not woman. I meant it as a compliment to the young lady.

Come on...most girls her age want to look hip/cool and fashionable.

Rain pants for cycling ain't high fashion. Not in alot of teenage gal circles.

Have we all forgotten how much we wanted to fit in with the gang, have we forgotten the peer pressure as teenage girls????
    I think it's great she is wearing what she needed to wear for weather protection. Not for fashion, at her age.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Have we all forgotten how much we wanted to fit in with the gang, have we forgotten the peer pressure as teenage girls????
    I think kids are individuals just as adults are, and some have a greater need for approval than others. I was pretty independent at that age, and didn't get involved in groups. I wanted to look good, but I rebelled against the cookie cutter mentality in high school.

It's not admirable, but I would have totally enjoyed one-upping people with Gore-tex pants.

I always laughed when adults said "Oh, you want to be like your friends." I had a smart aleck reply along the lines of: "Yes, I want to be a short, tall, fat, thin, Baptist, Buddhist, Catholic who is going to law school, becoming a nurse, getting married, joining the Peace Corp and the Army..." etc.
    Last edited by PamNY; 06-01-2010 at 07:31 PM.

From the style and fit of everything his girl has on, I would say this is a look she is very comfortable wearing. Some teens are more uncomfortable wearing the latest style than they are the less stylish practical options. If you teamed her rain coat and shoes with a pair of cycling tights and a sleek helmet she would look unbalanced.
    To me it looks like this little girl might need a bike fitting over a style make over.
    http://etherbourn.blogspot.com/

2010 Cannondale Synapse Feminine Carbon 6

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Come on...most girls her age want to look hip/cool and fashionable.

Rain pants for cycling ain't high fashion. Not in alot of teenage gal circles.
    That's a mighty broad paintbrush.
    The girls who are concerned with being hip/cool/fashionable aren't in the same group as this girl.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    The girls who are concerned with being hip/cool/fashionable aren't in the same group as this girl.
    They could only wish to be in the same class as this girl.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I was in a pretty odd gang of misfits in Jr. High and HS.

I think that in certain circles what she is wearing is considered to be cool and hip.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I was a bit of a geek in high school. I don't think I would have worn rain pants because I really dislike rain pants, but I have worn worst things. I discovered early that only women really care about how other women dress, and that I didn't care that much to please them...

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    I think that in certain circles what she is wearing is considered to be cool and hip.
    +1 She looks a bit on the hipster side, perhaps.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2