Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

ideas for short-reach handlebars that fit a 26 mm clamp?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am looking to switch out the handlebars on an older touring bike I recently acquired that has a 26 mm clamp rather than the currently more popular, "oversized" 31.8 mm size. i am looking for shorter-reach handlebars, as the ones i would like to stop using have a 96 mm reach. the nitto 105 handlebars would i think fit my clamp size and have a shorter reach, but they seem to only come in a 37 cm width, and i happen to have relatively broad shoulders for a woman. (the handlebars i'm using now are probably 42 cm, and i could maybe see going down to 40, but i don't think all the way to 37.) so my question is... does anyone have any ideas for shorter-reach handlebars that come in widths wider than 37 cm and that would also fit a 26 mm clamp?!
    thanks!!

Salsa's Moto Ace Poco and Moto Ace Short & Shallow are made for 26 mm clamps - would either of those work for you?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

oh-- i think i had only been looking at the regular (non-moto ace) poco and regular s&s. thanks! those could work, yes. (the only remaining quibble is whether i want black handlebars on a silver-colored stem and clamp, but i think i could handle that [especially if i have no other options!]...)

Ritchey's Biomax bar comes in a 26.0 clamp size and is both short reach and shallow drop (75mm and ~130mm, respectively, I think.)

BTW, I spent a significant about of time looking for a silver handlebar for a bike. There are very very few choices out there! Almost everything is carbon or black aluminum. Just a heads-up....

thanks becky-- i have just been realizing that about the biomax bars (my boyfriend and i were under the mistaken impression that they only came in 31.8). and thanks for the info re: silver bars (i assume you mean silver short-reach bars?)... i think i will probably just abandon that idea and go for some salsas or the biomax! because of the handlebar tape, not much of the bars will be showing anyway...

I love my biomax bars. In hindsight, I should have put them on all of my bikes.... BTW, they do flare a little at the ends. I did ok sizewise by buying my normal size using the hood measurement, not the end measurement.

Actually, silver anything is hard to find, based on what I saw in QBP's catalog. I had a black bar on the bike that has the silver stem and, with black tape, it really wasn't that noticable.
    Last edited by Becky; 05-31-2010 at 03:27 PM.

FWIW... I'm pretty happy with my Biomax bars, too (just didn't realize they came in 26 mm), but after over a year, I still can't decide whether I like the shallow drop or not. They're great for riding comfortably in the drops on the flats. But I can't get into as deep a tuck on descents, and I miss that. It's definitely a good news/bad news sort of thing.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

actually, i was wading through lots of old forum posts and trying to decide whether to post a new question about reach and drop. i do know that i am pretty unhappy braking in either position (e.g. on hoods or in drops) in my current nitto noodles. my boyfriend seems to think i could benefit from both different brake levers (i tried some smaller ones in a bike shop-- i am sure these would help), but also perhaps handlebars with a shorter reach. i am pretty much totally flummoxed as to whether a shorter reach would help anything, and almost just as confused as to what sort of drop i should be aiming for. (the noodles are 140 mm drop.) i thought i had long fingers for a woman, but again, braking in either position is really uncomfortable right now.
    so... if you had any thoughts on this i'd be happy to hear them! or, i might still repost my new query in a new thread/diff. section...

has anyone found handlebars that come in shorter sizes with a shorter reach in chrome? I seriously can't have black handlebars. I have some elk hid in brown that I need to put on them. I so need to have chrome. At this point I'm willing to pay more just to have it right.