Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Daybreak Race Report

To disable ads, please log-in.

I completed my second open water triathlon on Saturday. The forecasted rain did not materialize, but it was chilly. I knew I was in trouble when i was shivering while I set up my stuff in transition. Fortunately, I had more clothes in the car and I put on several more layers and sat in the car with the heat on. I didn't think this was a good sign for me given the anticipated chilliness of the lake water.

Because of the temperature and the fact that it looked like it might rain, I had several extra articles of clothing in transition. My wave didn't go off until 8:55 and transition closed at 7:30, so I had to make an executive decision about what to keep on and what to leave in transition.

I sat in the car while the early Oly waves went off and tried to stay warm. Finally, I donned my wetsuit and walked to the boat ramp. The race was very spectator friendly and DH hung out with me while I stretched and got ready. People were coming out of the swim with beet red faces and white bodies! I heard later that several folks were pulled from the water due to the cold.

When I got in, I was pleasantly surprised that it was a little bit warmer than the OWS I had done earlier in the week at a reservoir. Yeah, it was cold, but my neoprene cap and booties were great. I had a nice swim, but I think I took it a bit too leisurely based on my time. At one point, I sort of got into a groove and forgot to sight for awhile. When I remembered to do that, I realized I had strayed a bit off course, so I got in a longer swim than anticipated! I did get kicked a bit in the beginning, but it wasn't too horrible. I felt like I could have done a few more laps of the course.

My transition was a bit slow as I had to decide what to wear and my fingers weren't working because of the cold. I opted for a long sleeve jersey, a windbreaker, a fleece hat, full-fingered gloves, calf sleeves, and toe covers. It worked well and I wasn't cold, although I could feel my right hamstring tighten up a bit behind my knee on the bike.

The bike course was great. A false flat followed by a steady climb of 3 to 6%. Coming back down was a lot of fun!

I had a good transition to the run, and I kept on my jersey. I learned that PowerBar Gel Bursts aren't good for running because I really couldn't chew and swallow them easily. I had them stuck in my mouth/between my teeth for the first 1.5 miles! I managed to run the last 1.5 miles faster than the first 1.5, and I was very happy about that.

A sprint to the finish and I was done. I enjoyed this race quite a lot and would do it again. The lake is small and it was practically like glass. It was a very friendly venue for a newbie like myself.

On the way home, I thought about riding my bike in the afternoon, but after I unpacked my bag and took a shower, I couldn't stay awake. I don't usually nap, but I crawled into bed and slept for a couple hours (while wearing my oh-so-fabulous recovery tights). I think trying to stay warm sapped my energy.

Although there are a couple of races coming up in my area, I may just take the time to train some more and ride with DH. I've also hooked up with some other folks who, like me, are working to improve their run times. We are planning on weekly group workouts. I don't run very much and I think I could be a lot faster if I actually focused on it.

Great report! Your powerbar gel burst story reminds me of when I eat licorice on the bike. Good for miles of fun!

Congratulations! (I feel so fortunate to be a duathlete when I read about cold water...brrrrr)

I giggled when I read the PowerGel part- reminds me of the time I choked on a jellybean...those little PowerBar chews are quite chewy/choky/sticky.

I am always wiped after a race- it's home, shower, compression tights and a nap. And DH knows he's on dinner duty.

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Way to go Alex!! Congrats! Awesome that the swim worked out relatively well for you - mostly because you were well prepared.

Jealous of these early season races... there's one here this Sunday but it's sprint distance and I don't know if I want to race then do another evening workout - I, too, like to race and then relax.

Thanks, ladies!

I can see why you wouldn't want to race and then work out again that night, Colby! At your level, it probably makes more sense to get in your longer workouts than do a sprint anyway. Or, you could just make that your long run day and run through the finish line, turn in your chip, and then rerun the course a few times.