Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Untimely Pool Closure

To disable ads, please log-in.

Warning: in this message, I mostly whine.

Today a friend of mine became a "fan" or whatever of our gym on facebook, so I checked it out. In the process, I found out that they announced the pool was closing for renovations. When I went to the gym today (to swim, basically the ONLY thing I do at the gym), I found out it'll be closed June 5 - July 12, or as long as it takes them to finish. Apparently they couldn't wait until fall, there's water damage to the drywall, probably some things they aren't telling us, and they're going to update the air circulation and some other things.

But, seriously, this is like a giant F U to anyone in the area that's training for Ironman (June 27). It must have been super serious for them to just up and close 2 weeks later and not at least wait until July when the temps are warmer and people have taken to the lakes. It makes me wonder what conditions we've been swimming in for the last... forever.

The lake temperature where Ironman is held is around 53-55 degrees, the local lake is shallower and probably warmer but still can't be much past 60 (technically, it's not really public access except through the county park, but I do cheat and use the boat launch). The only other pools in the area within reasonable distance (and open) are athletic clubs, with membership dues starting at a (reasonable) $28 BUT sign-up fees of at least $50. I can't pay $78 to another gym when we're already paying $60 to the current one and I'd just cancel my membership in a month, basically dumping $50.

Sigh... my swimming is already behind schedule. I have a strong base, but was hoping to really focus this last 3 weeks on swimming strong since the other 2 sports are strong and starting to taper and swimming seems to benefit more and be punished less from recent efforts. Unfortunately, it's the first thing to go when I get swamped at work - I can easily figure out how to run and even ride, but working around a pool schedule is harder.

I'm up for a $2-3 drop in fee, which would basically end up being $36 at most, or even a $5 fee (and I'd swim open water more), but most gyms don't differentiate pool drop-in fees from full access drop-in fees, which makes them more like $8-10. I'd only swim in them once a week at most and still feel like I was wasting money. Argh argh argh.

So, I guess it's open water time!

yup

The pool our group normally swims at is under renovations until November...!! We're now at a diff pool but it's all ok!

Is there a university near you & could you use the pool for a while??? I too wouldn't do the pay as you go idea.

Best of luck with the open water swimming time!

The other thought is & i'm not an IM person...can you do simulated dry land exercises for your swimming? I haven't a clue if that would get you up to speed...i'm babbling..sorry..

Just a thought but maybe go to one of those gyms and talk to them, explain what happened and how you can not pay that much, but would they let you join for a couple months for just the fee, without the sign-up costs. I would also talk to your current gym about suspending your fees for at least a month, since you say you only go to use the pool and the pool won't be available. I have found some gyms are great and want to make you happy, some just want your money. You never know until you try though.

Just a thought.

Sorry about the troubles, sounds like it couldn't have happened at a worse time.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

when I lived in MA, the Y would close and other pools would honor their memberships and vice versa. They worked together to stagger their maintenance so no one HAD to go without a pool readily available. Sometimes the commute was a bit longer, but you COULD swim if you wanted to.

I just wonder why others don't try to be more accommodating.

Good luck with your IM!!

This happened to me last year and will again this year. I use the pool at work (college gym) and they close it every year for maintenance for two weeks in August--the two weeks before the Iron Girl.

What I did last year was go to my sister's gym and get a two week free membership. Most gyms do this as a way of drumming up new business--let people use the facilities for free for a couple of weeks and then work hard to sign them up. I knew I was completely taking advantage of the system when I did this since I had no intention of becoming a member, but since my sister has been a member for years and pretty much never goes, I didn't feel too bad!

I don't know what I'll do this summer. Either suck it up and not swim or find another gym to take advantage of. Pay-as-you-go isn't an option that I've found, and all of the outdoor pools are accessible to members only.

Good luck--I hope you find a solution!

Sarah

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and words, ladies. I thought about asking the management for a "free" month considering I only use the pool, but we're on a family membership and my husband and dad do use the gym facilities other than the pool. In their letter explaining the closure, they said they are "absorbing" the costs - as opposed to passing it on to us!? They have updated their cardio floor and done some other updates in the last couple of years, but they also did raise their membership rates. All in all, I'm relatively happy with them, but I really just use the pool and the cardio stuff sometimes in the winter or when I want a change.

I thought about begging for mercy at the Y or other similar organisation with decent pool. I wonder if they would give me a break. I'm happy to give them some money and they have nicer pools (and facilities) than mine that I would love to swim in regularly, but they are not as conveniently located (5-10 miles vs. 5-10 blocks) and I don't know that I can make that work permanently, especially not for my entire family. It means I can't bike to work twice a week, too, which makes me sad.

I didn't think about the college pools... one of the community colleges has a pool at a reasonable $35/quarter fee, except I conveniently cross quarters June 14, so it would be slightly less reasonable but I'd be able to swim there through the end of summer if need be (not sure how busy their pool is during their narrow open swim hours). Any university is much farther away, and unfortunately only allows university faculty/staff/students to use the facilities (though it doesn't look like a super big/nice pool anyway).

I could sign up for a masters swim course at one of the other gyms, but it's probably going to be $50 plus whatever non-member fee there is, and at that rate I might as well pay the difference and just get a month-to-month membership for the month I need it. Also, it'd be more competitive and I'd still have to find a third swim, which I'd probably just do in open water (not necessarily a bad thing).

Thanks for your help/advice!

Sorry to hear about this! No words of advice, but just wanted to commiserate!