Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

MTB shifters and arthritic thumbs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello: I ride a Specialized Stumpjumper. About 10 years ago, I had to switch to grip shifters from rapidfire due to pain from arthritis in my thumbs. Now, it's getting difficult to even use the grip shifters -- I basically stay in the middle front gear. Luckily I can still shift the rear gears. But -- something has to give!

What suggestions does anyone have? I never dreamed that what would finally make me think about giving up bike riding would be my thumbs!

You could get one of those automatic shifting hubs, then you wouldn't have to shift. I think they have an 11 speed one, but they are expensive.

Do you think you could use bar end shifters?

shimano is working on electronic mtn shifters/drivetrains. gonna cost you though. good luck!

Bar End shifters, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's worth an investment to continue almost 30 years of bicycling!

There's always going back to downtube shifters... 50+ years of cyclists can't be wrong!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I assume that with downtube shifters, you have to take your hands off the handlebars to shift? That seems a scary proposition on a trail!

OK a couple of suggestions here-

Go singlespeed! This may or may not be possible but you do get a weight advantage by taking off all the shifters etc.

Investigate equipping a cross bike with Di2 electronic shifters. You might be able to ride the trails you are riding now on a cross bike.

Or finally hang out for the MTB electronic shifting

I have very short fingers. My thumb was too short to get enough leverage to get into the big ring. So on my first two mountain bikes I had a grip shift to control the chain rings.

But on my current bike, I use dual control levers. There is only one lever that controls shifting and brakes. Squeeze like a regular brake lever to brake. And flick the lever up and down to control gear shifting.

Some people don't like them, but I really do! Sure it took a little while to get used to them, but eventually it became second nature and natural.
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!