Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    nsandz - your trip sounds awesome - just try out a couple of these suggestions before September. The easiest one to do is those ergon grips - rei & performance have them on sale currently and both of them will let you return them indefinitely if they don't end up being what you need.

If those don't work, then I'd say try trekking bars next and soma sparrows last.

I love my soma sparrows, I'm not sure I'd want to ride across or down the US on them.
    I was just thinking that the answer is never easy, there are always sooo many options out there....lol. I think you might have just made it easier though.

I have been in and out of the bike shop so much the past couple months trying new things to get my old bike to fit better. Now I just got this bike, I love it and I don't want to bring it back I just want to ride it...lol. So for now I am debating on just putting bar tape on or buying the ergon grips like you said and see what happens and how my hands and wrists feel. I still have yet to really "break in the bike". I just worry that I need to figure it all out now so I can be completely used to my bike before I head out on the long trip.

Catrin- I also am very new to this...sometimes I feel like I am in over my head, lol. Right now I have the shifters that come stock with the bike - Shimano EF60 trigger, 8 speed. My BF and riding partner suggested we order different shifters, but I cannot remember what they were called, I will get back to you on that.

I just wanted to say thank everyone so much for all the comments and ideas. I will keep you posted on what I decided to do. Hopefully at some point in the future I will know enough about bikes so I can return the favor

You can get the ergon grips without the built in barends or with - if you get them without, you can use your current bar ends and put a grip or padded tape on it like Zen did.

I have Ergon grips on two bikes. One set came with 'bar ends' but I find them too short, like the add-ons better.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I have Ergon grips on two bikes. One set came with 'bar ends' but I find them too short, like the add-ons better.
    the ones that Susan.wells linked to had long bar ends on them. I hadn't seen them before. I just stuck some without bar ends on my mountain bike & used the bar ends i already had - made a huge difference for my wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    What kind of shifters do you currently have?
    We ordered the Shimano Alivios and they will go on my bike in about 2 weeks.

Also, I ordered the Ergon GC3's. I am going to see how these work out. I will let you know if I do or don't like them. I cannot wait to try them out!

ergons

I love Ergon grips. After I buy my touring bike I'm for sure going to either upgrade my commuter or buy a new one with some Ergons on it (i work in a shop otherwise I couldn't afford this option).

I use bar ends on my current commuter and like them a lot. I don't wrap them at all, but probably should. It's pretty easy to fit on either a mtb style grip or wrap a little bar tape around them. If you really want to get crafty you can take an old bike tube and use that as a handlebar wrap. Works well as long as you're not allergic to the rubber or the latex-ish powder used on the insides of the tubes.

Yay!

I finally got the Ergon bar ends!!! I put them on my bike last night and I will take them for a spin today after I get out of work! I am very excited they feel very nice so far

I love these bar ends! They are so much better than the ones I had before. They are very comfortable and my favorite part is that now my grippers don't move around while I am cycling It feels really comfortable to hold onto these while climbing hills and coasting. Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by nsandz View Post
    I love these bar ends! They are so much better than the ones I had before. They are very comfortable and my favorite part is that now my grippers don't move around while I am cycling It feels really comfortable to hold onto these while climbing hills and coasting. Thank you so much!
    I have found that, slowly, over time, the Ergons do slip a little. However this is nothing like the stock grips that came with my Trek and they are easy to adjust. Don't you love them though? They are great to have!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I have found that, slowly, over time, the Ergons do slip a little. However this is nothing like the stock grips that came with my Trek and they are easy to adjust. Don't you love them though? They are great to have!
    I HATED riding with the stock grips, it was so annoying I was constantly repositioning them while riding. I am okay if the Ergons slip over time, it seems fairly easy to readjust them and just to be able to go for a ride without them moving was wonderful I ordered them through my LBS and they were so impressed, now they are going to keep them in stock. I couldn't be happier with these bar ends, worth every $.