Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: butt in face

butt in face

To disable ads, please log-in.

Last week I was nearly clipped by a truck whose driver amused himself by seeing how close he could get his mirror to me. I caught them at the stop sign, but being the nonconfrontational person I am, I just ignored them. As I was about to take off, the passenger in the truck flung their cigarette butt in my face and hollered at me to get off the road. I've had people throw beer/pop cans at me before, but this was the most offensive thing that has happened to me on the road.

Oooh...that's just sooo wrong. Was the cigarette butt still lit?? Imagine if that got stuck in your helmet straps or, worse, down your shirt, if it flew at you at the right angle. Yep....that one is pretty bad.

The worst I've ever had, and this is fairly recent, is we had a half-gallon jug of "something orange"....I'm presuming orange juice....thrown at our group of four. It whizzed over my head and hit the rider next to me, bounced off her ear, and riccocheted to her dh directly ahead of her. When it hit him, it burst open and we all got sprayed by whatever it was. Needless, to say we were pretty p.o.'d!! It was a totally unprovoked attack - we were minding our business, riding two abreast as usual, but staying right as much as we could. We were hoping that we would find the car it came from up the road broken down....grrrrrr. I'm not the retaliating type, but.....man, that sooo was not cool.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

lime & momma: I'm so sorry to hear about that. Did you get the license plate number? if no: next time try and do that. Per several women here on the board you can report the car for assualt. The cops may not do much but at least there will be a report on file just case there's a next time with another person.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

That's good to know about reporting the license plate number. I should have done that--I will next time.

I did try to look at the car's plate, but it went past us at about roughly 40-45 mph (which you figure was the velocity of the o.j. too!!), so I didn't have any time to memorize. I might recognize it again, however, if I ever see the car again.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Argh!!! I HATE that. Whatever makes some people so braindead to the fact that we are living, breathing beings is beyond me. Oy. I keep telling myself Karma, karma, karma....except then I end up trying to figure out what in the heck it was I did to be on the Karma receiving line.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Not from my gene pool.

Limewave - So sorry to hear about your encounter. Pleased to hear you are ok. Where do these sorts of people come from - they cannot be from the same gene pool as the rest of us can they?

Here is the thing about filing reports - per a local police officer - some jurisdictions will file charges on things like that - others just take a report and leave it "on file" Now that on file report doesn't do much in and of itself - however, if the guy gets pulled over at a later date for ANYTHING - the cop is much less likely to qwrite him a warning - if the officer sees multiple complaints on a driver, that driver WILL get a ticket. So no matter how little you think the report is worth - file that sucker!

Besides - I have access to almost ALL states DMV records - for 25.00 a year you can too - www.publicdata.com

This enables you to look up someone mailing address from the plate number and send a nice letter reminding the driver to share the road, and a friendly thank you for his courtesy and consideration in the future...

Some state cycling organizations will also send out letters from the org that amount to the same thing. Easier than drafting your own - check your state organizations web site to find out.
    The space and time for what you WANT is being occupied by what you have settled for

"You say bark I say bite / You say shark I say hey man / Jaws was never my scene / And I don't like Star Wars"

BikeDFW - Dallas and Fort Worth Area Cycling Advocacy Organization

Sheesh, try to tell my homegirl to hang in there and get the royal treatment I feel so loved! Anyho, tell us what the car looks like bikemomma and I'll put out the word.

Introductions, pleeeze!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    Sheesh, try to tell my homegirl to hang in there and get the royal treatment I feel so loved! Anyho, tell us what the car looks like bikemomma and I'll put out the word.
    Hey Everyone - meet "The Dude".....yep, he's a guy! ....and Flicka's (and my) wrench, so BE NICE. Hey Dude, nice handle and I didn't know you lurked here! Cover blown! heeehee (The Dude got kicked off the site the first time he tried to post to this thread...sorry Admin....I'll tell him to be nice)

I didn't tell you about the o.j. incident a few weeks back on the thursday ride? Oh, I'm slipping...must be the old age .....someone tossed it out the window at us - freaky! And it wasn't like we were invisible...they had to have been aiming for us. We had just turned around at Snelling and were about to cross the river, and bam! I saw the movement out of the corner of my eye as it went by, and felt the hairs stand up on my neck. The jug went straight over my head, hit Susan in the ear, then Rob in the back (he thought she threw something at him! Explanation TE gals: Susan and Rob have been married forever, hence the throwing bit ), and sprayed everyone on impact. Yuk! I wiped down as soon as I could. Poor Susan's ear stayed beet red all the way back; no blood though, so I guess it didn't hit hard enough to break the skin (and no signs of dizziness). Susan's tough. I need to get her onto this board!

The car looked like a newer Nissan Altima or very similar body-type sedan, like a seafoam green/blue in color, chrome trim, and clean-looking. I seem to recall seeing that color and type of car out there before.

So yes! I think it would be an excellent idea to put the word out at the shop to watch out for this car. NOT a nice experience....I'd hate for them to tag anyone else, or us again!

Thanks, Techno, for the DMV advice & info. There are enough eyes around here, with The Dude's help, we might get a plate number.