Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Dealing with the heat

To disable ads, please log-in.

Warm weather has finally arrived in Central Indiana - 50s last week, 88 today and tomorrow As someone who has avoided the sun/heat for years this is going to take some adjusting to, I also have asthma.

I am thinking that it would be better for now to ride in the evening so that I start when it is close to the high temp for the day but then it cools - rather than starting in early afternoon and have the temps climb as I overheat. I do have good sunscreen.

My Trek has only one water cage so am using my Camelbak as well - which doesn't hold 50 ounces as I though! I swear the packaging said 50 ounces, but I can only put in about 1 and a half bottles, so it holds about 25 ounces. That just isn't enough for this kind of weather The local Performance is having a huge tent sale this weekend so am going to see if they have them on sale.

So I am planning on hydrating as much as possible prior, during, and after riding. I tend to not drink enough anyway - barely drank 25 ounces yesterday during a hard 3 hour hike - and only drank half a bottle during a 1.5 hour bike. That was with the Camelbak - which was much better than my usual water intake.

Is there anything else that I should keep in mind? Will be careful what I eat before a ride as I suspect the heat will make my stomach more touchy. Time will tell.

If you're getting a new Camelbak, make sure you get one with a waist strap, so you can wear it low and put the weight on your hips when you ride. That's the only way I can do it without hurting my back.

Put ice in it (and in your water bottle). It'll stay cool and melt as you need the water to drink. Some people swear by insulated bottles, I don't bother with them because they're supposed to be so hard to clean.

After you take a drink, blow into the drink tube to force the water back into the bladder. That'll keep it from getting hot in the drink tube.

Arm coolers really work if you don't sweat heavily... I do, and to me, they're great up until they get waterlogged, and even then they aren't much warmer than bare arms - well worth it if you're prone to sunburn and/or you're concerned about toxins or the sweat-blocking properties of sunblock lotions.

I need to replace electrolytes any time I drink more than a couple of liters of water. If your rides are short enough that you don't need calories, but hot enough that you need to replace electrolytes, Nuun or Endurolytes are non-caloric. The downside to mixing anything in your water is that you don't want to pour it over your head - which is another great way to cool yourself.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    If you're getting a new Camelbak, make sure you get one with a waist strap, so you can wear it low and put the weight on your hips when you ride. That's the only way I can do it without hurting my back.

Put ice in it (and in your water bottle). It'll stay cool and melt as you need the water to drink. Some people swear by insulated bottles, I don't bother with them because they're supposed to be so hard to clean.

After you take a drink, blow into the drink tube to force the water back into the bladder. That'll keep it from getting hot in the drink tube.

Arm coolers really work if you don't sweat heavily... I do, and to me, they're great up until they get waterlogged, and even then they aren't much warmer than bare arms - well worth it if you're prone to sunburn and/or you're concerned about toxins or the sweat-blocking properties of sunblock lotions.

I need to replace electrolytes any time I drink more than a couple of liters of water. If your rides are short enough that you don't need calories, but hot enough that you need to replace electrolytes, Nuun or Endurolytes are non-caloric. The downside to mixing anything in your water is that you don't want to pour it over your head - which is another great way to cool yourself.
    Thanks - I will keep this in mind. My rides these days average around 2 hours - but we will see this evening I am heading out at 6 and it is supposed to be 89 degrees...

I swung by my LBS to check out their Camelbaks, and they insisted that my Aurora will hold more than I have been able to fit. I have not, however, tried to take the bladder out That might have been the problem... tonight I will take my 'Bac and a bottle of Cytomax - it does have electrolytes in it until I can pick up some Nuun...

Update - I did manage to get the bladdder out - it was so simply that I missed it More importantly I managed to get 3 bottles of water in the bladder this time and it is now in the fridge for the next hour and a half until I leave. If I decide later this summer that longer trips require a larger Camelbak I will look for one with a waist strap - that makes sense. Yesterday was the first real time I have used it and didn't find it cumbersome - but of course it was only 1/2 full!
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-23-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Take it slow and easy for the first few weeks. We ride early to avoid the heat. DRINK, DRINK, DRINK. Not just during your ride, but before and the rest of the day. I still feel crummy after riding for the first time this summer in 80 degree heat yesterday.

(Taking the bladder out of your camelbak will get more in it. By holding mine at a certain angle under the tap, allows me to almost 8 oz more in. Pack will expand considerably with a full bladder).
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Yeah. If it is supposed to be crazy hot out, I get out as early in the day as possible, as mornings are the coolest part of the day (when there is still enough light). And yes, the heat can really takes it toll. Both your fluid and your fuel requirements will go up when it gets hot, so DRINK and EAT often. You need to stay on top of this, because if you get behind, you are risking bonk, heat stroke, and dehydration.

The first few hot days are the hardest, so rest assured that your body will (probably) get accustomed to riding in the heat, and riding won't be quite as exhausting as on those first days of summer heat. But if the temps get high enough that the weather reporters are putting out warnings for folks to stay indoors, consider not riding, or riding a shorter distance/time because there are some temps that body just won't be able to handle.

Today was my first ride after getting my cast off from broken wrist. I've been off the bike since March so, I missed the spring and all the beautiful days and went out today to 87 degrees... it was 72 degrees when we started, but heated up fast. We rode a 25 mile route that's pretty easy with just a few hills, but it still kicked my butt.

I think that I'm drinking enough, but have to work at drinking more.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

Heat & humidity - yuck. Today was our first bad day (I can't tolerate much, which is why I'm in the UP of Michigan, and not in Indiana, where I grew up). I think it was about 85, with 60% or so humidity. Not much to some of you, but I thought it was awful. Just a wall of horribleness when I stepped outside. I opted for mountain biking instead of road biking today, because it was windy. I was concerned about taking my dog, so DH decided to take her for a run, instead, while I was riding. I was fine, although too hot (had my Camelback), but he's now lying down with an upset stomach. He carried a water bottle, but it still wasn't enough. Silly wabbit - 1 -1/2 hours of running and walking on the first nasty day of the summer. At least there were a handful of water stops for the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Skierchickie View Post
    I was fine, although too hot (had my Camelback), but he's now lying down with an upset stomach. He carried a water bottle, but it still wasn't enough. Silly wabbit - 1 -1/2 hours of running and walking on the first nasty day of the summer. At least there were a handful of water stops for the dog.
    I had to work today and when I got home at two, DH was prostrate with a cold towel on his head. He went out for a hilly ride, that turned into a hammerfest when he hooked up with two strangers. When I asked why he did that in the heat without acclimating, he said, "That was my idea of acclimating!" Good job honey
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

I actually disagree somewhat with your logic about riding in the evening. It just doesn't cool down all that much in my experience, especially sine the pavement itself absorbs so much heat. I'd rather ride early and be in by noon. But I suppose if you go out after 7 or so, it certainly won't be blazing hot.

Your body does start to adapt a bit after two weeks of cnsistently hot weather by increasing blood volume. The problem in Indiana is that the uber hot weather isn't necessarily consistent.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

For asthma, and since humidity is one of my triggers, I use my rescue inhaler 15 min before I ride. It's one of the things I carry with me when I ride. If air pollution is a trigger check to see when the pollution counts are the highest in your area. Not sure about Indy but the Cincy/Dayton area ranks pretty high for bad air.

When you finish your ride get out of your damp shorts ASAP. I often changed in the car.

Take it slow and as others have said you will get used to the humidity.

camelbak tips

Fill the bladder 1/2 to 2/3 full of water. Then blow air through the hose to fill it up like a balloon. Lay it down in the freezer and just store it there until you are ready to ride. When you want to ride, top it off with cold water, put it in the pack and off you go. The cap may be hard to open if it's frozen shut - just run some hot water over the cap until you can dislodge it. It won't be enough to melt the giant ice cube in the bladder.

Topping it off insures the hose is not blocked by ice, and gives you water to drink right away. The big block of ice melts slowly, and delivers cold water for up to 3 hours at 80-90o temps. The pack may seem stiff when you first put it on, but the edges start to melt, and it conforms to your back. After a few minutes you don't even know it's there.

Oakleaf also mentioned my favorite tip - after you take a drink from the hose, blow air back into the bladder. Otherwise the water in the hose gets awfully warm. If I forget to blow the water back up the hose, I will usually spit it out. Drinking warm water is one of those gross things I can not consume on a bike ride.

When you get home, give the bladder a good rinse, wash the bite valve and rinse well (you don't want a soapy gulp of water on your next ride). Fill the bladder 1/2 way or more with water (I use filtered water from Brita pitcher) and back into the freezer until the next ride.

I only put water in the bladder - never mixed stuff - keeps everything easier to clean. Use water bottles for your mixes.

Keeping the bladder in the freezer also keeps it free from mold or nasty bugs, and you don't have to worry about drying it thoroughly.

I've been using this systemn for years - works great. I have the "Rogue" model, holds 70 oz. I rarely drink it all but on a few rides I have replenished the reservoir (metrics in 90o+ - who ever thought that was a good idea?)

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Interesting -- I got the cool wings last summer and found them extremely helpful. The first day I wore them, I soaked them in cold water at a water fountain, and they dried very quickly.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodDE_CW.html

I like the jacket style because I can wear them with tank tops.

I generally ride one day per week after work, which means riding in heat and humidity during the summer months. I find the location of the sun in the sky makes a huge difference -- it might still be pretty hot and humid at 7 pm, but the lack of strong sunlight makes it okay. Whereas I tend to have serious problems during the afternoon when the sun is highest.

I've also done my share of summer rides in late afternoon, starting at 4 pm or so. It's definitely better than riding between 1-3 pm but can still be pretty hot. I would make sure to have some kind of electrolyte replacement for a 2 hour ride at that time of day.

Also you're right about watching what you eat earlier in the day. Try to avoid heavy/high fat meals, because they take longer to digest so they can weigh you down while you're riding even if it's hours later. You might need to play around a bit with the timing of what you eat during the afternoon so you don't bonk during the ride.
    Last edited by ny biker; 05-23-2010 at 07:36 PM.

The aftermath...

I headed out for my usual 2 hours, and did rode very close to 20 miles in a local park. I was unsure how I would deal with the heat so didn't want to be more than a few miles from my car at any given time.

I headed out with a bottle of Cytomax (went on the bike), a bottle of ice water (stayed in my car) and my 50 oz Camelbak. At least I thought it was full...but it was mysteriously dry after the first 5 miles and I KNOW I didn't drink THAT much in the first loop! Thankfully there is a water fountain with a regular spigot so I refilled it.

I made a point at stopping at the end of each loop - depending on which way I go a loop is 5 or 6 miles - and drank both from the Cytomax bottle and plenty of water. As it was right under 90 degrees when I started, I also took a bite from my Cliff bar at each little stop - no more than two bites. Halfway through I had a Hammer Huckleberry Gel.

So I drank close to 75 ounces of water in 2 hours - but never had to "go" until I got home (and not much then). It also didn't seem that hot to me after the first hour - so am unsure what was up with that though of course the sun is lower in the evening. It was 88 degrees when I started with 70% humidity level, 85 degrees when I stopped.

When I stopped and got off the bike I felt very strange, almost shaky - though I had felt fine on the bike. So I drank more of the Cytomax and tried to finish it off - but I've a problem with flavored drinks when I am that thirsty - finished off more water instead. Had the last bite of my Cliff bar and came home to hit the shower. I am now drinking a Smithwicks, one of my favorite ales. I earned it Chocolate milk actually sounds better, but I don't have any. So ale it is!

Does it sound like I drank/ate enough for a two hour ride in those temps/humidity?
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-23-2010 at 04:49 PM.

It's more than I would drink in 2 hours.

One thing I found last summer -- when I started to get more sodium during rides, I started peeing more during rides. Before that, I tended to retain water and go very little during the ride, and then once I was done I would have to go every 20 minutes for the next several several hours. They say you should address dehydration by weighing yourself before and after a ride and then drinking 16 oz of water for each pound you lose, but I always weigh more after a ride than before. But like I said, getting more sodium (and other electrolytes, in my case with Gu Roctane) helped with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    It's more than I would drink in 2 hours.

One thing I found last summer -- when I started to get more sodium during rides, I started peeing more during rides. Before that, I tended to retain water and go very little during the ride, and then once I was done I would have to go every 20 minutes for the next several several hours. They say you should address dehydration by weighing yourself before and after a ride and then drinking 16 oz of water for each pound you lose, but I always weigh more after a ride than before. But like I said, getting more sodium (and other electrolytes, in my case with Gu Roctane) helped with that.
    I am guessing how full the Camelbac was when I refilled it - I really do not think it was full to begin with - it seemed quite light when I took it out of my car. It may well have been closer to 36 ounces from the Camelbac plus 25 ounces from the two bottles - but regardless your advice on sodium is good - I tolerate Hammer Gels much better than Gu for some reason - but will look into my options. Of course there isn't anything wrong with having a few salted nuts - if my stomach will accept them during a hot ride.

Thanks for all of the tips everyone! The bladder for my Aurora is now in the freezer. I did use my inhaler before starting just to be safe.

IndySteel, I hear you about mornings being better than evenings - but Saturdays are the only day of the week where that is an option for me...
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-23-2010 at 05:25 PM.