Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ugh, why did I sign up for this?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Have you ever regretted signing up for a ride? I'm riding the Bloomin Metric today and kind of wish I wasn't. I know I can do the distance normally, but this is a hilly ride. I'm not a climber by any stretch of the imagination. I hear there's over 3000' climbing, but can't be certain since they don't post the route. The last time I did a metric in this part of the state it was miserable, everything hurt, and I was literally the last person in. All the food was gone, the other riders were gone, and the guys that were putting all the folding chairs away clapped for me. I envision this ride to be the same way, even though it's been 3 years, that ride was a month after I gotten my first (and only) road bike, and I'm in better shape now. But I want to do it to prove to myself that I can. Its just that memory and the thought of riding uphill for the first 30mi that makes me shudder.

Anyone else sign up for something and then wished they hadn't? How did it work out in the end? I'll post a report when it's over. I can tell you it won't be including sunshine

Yes, the 2010 Ipswich 100. I got cajoled/browbeaten into it by my mate, who in turn pulled out before the ride due to injury. I did the ride with my mum and her mate. By that, I mean, they dropped me at the earliest opportunity and I was left to ride the whole thing pretty much on my own (except the last 20Km when my mum took pity on me and rode with me).

It was easily the toughest ride I've ever done, and by the end, every part of me hurt. I was absolutely shattered. I knew going in that it would be tough, but I didn't know it would be that tough. If I'd known, I probably wouldn't have done it.

I didn't regret signing up for it, but I did dread doing the ride. Once I was on the road though, it was really a matter of just sucking it up and doing it.

I finished that ride and promised myself I wouldn't do it in 2011. Now, of course, with the passage of time, I'm thinking, "hey, it wasn't that tough!".

Max

Quote Originally Posted by NoNo View Post
    Have you ever regretted signing up for a ride? I'm riding the Bloomin Metric today and kind of wish I wasn't. I know I can do the distance normally, but this is a hilly ride. I'm not a climber by any stretch of the imagination. I hear there's over 3000' climbing, but can't be certain since they don't post the route. The last time I did a metric in this part of the state it was miserable, everything hurt, and I was literally the last person in. All the food was gone, the other riders were gone, and the guys that were putting all the folding chairs away clapped for me. I envision this ride to be the same way, even though it's been 3 years, that ride was a month after I gotten my first (and only) road bike, and I'm in better shape now. But I want to do it to prove to myself that I can. Its just that memory and the thought of riding uphill for the first 30mi that makes me shudder.

Anyone else sign up for something and then wished they hadn't? How did it work out in the end? I'll post a report when it's over. I can tell you it won't be including sunshine
    This is EXACTLY how I feel about the snake alley criterium that, thanks to teammate of mine, I am racing next weekend. It is going to be hard. It is going to HURT. And I'm starting to wonder what craziness possessed me to sign up for this sufferfest that I have no chance of winning and am just hoping to NOT DIE!!!! I'll post a report when all is said and done. Until then, wish me luck :-)

Yes.
    I wish I had seen this earlier, it's not like you signed a contract.
    I don't ride to be miserable.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Reminds me of a sig I saw on another cycling forum: "Cycling should be enjoyed, not endured."

Max

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Yes.
    I wish I had seen this earlier, it's not like you signed a contract.
    Yeah me too, I'd do something else instead if i was really dreading it.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I usually find that the more I dread the thing I signed up for, the more glad I am that I did it afterward. If it's really really really tough, I get a great feeling of accomplishment afterward. That isn't to say that it always goes well, but if I'm REALLY dreading it, it is never as bad as I anticipate.

Like the others said, you didn't sign a contract. It's totally up to you (okay, was up to you, since it's 5pm here now). Just remember that you are stronger and more experienced now, and you've already proven that you can do it!

Oh, and I typically regret signing up for every event I do, and wish I hadn't, and I dread everything! But once I get out there, I'm usually glad I did.

So what did you decide? How did it go?? Are you glad (either way)? I'm time-traveling back to this morning, to support you and give you good vibes.
    Last edited by Skierchickie; 05-23-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skierchickie View Post
    I'm time-traveling back to this morning, to support you and give you good vibes.

Take me with you. I want to get up earlier.

Take me with you. I want to get up earlier.
    Sorry, Zen - I don't know what time zone Limbo is in, but I'm not going any earlier than 8:00 am EDT. Are you in?

Knowing I've already plopped down the money usually motivates me. When it was 32F at the start of our scheduled century last year, I rolled over and went back to sleep.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Quote Originally Posted by Skierchickie View Post
    Sorry, Zen - I don't know what time zone Limbo is in, but I'm not going any earlier than 8:00 am EDT. Are you in?
    I can do that. Let's go!

I'm dreading Elephant Rock in 2 weeks. What were DH & I thinking when we signed up? We paid good money, so I will be going...just going very slowly.
    ~ Tanis

Well I went and I finished! It wasn't pleasant, at least not the first half. We started on the water, rode east about 10 or 11 miles, and then turned north. If you don't know Connecticut, turning north means going uphill. So we climbed. And climbed. And when you thought you were done, you climbed some more. In the end, we did 3300 feet. I went slow, used my granny gear liberally, and just went with it. The nice thing about this ride is that there's no set start time. So that meant that there was a constant stream of riders catching up to me and I was never alone. I really couldn't take much more leading up to the halfway point, and I was beginning to overheat. I stopped, poured some water on me, caught my breath, and continued on. On one of the uphills I had to make a right and two cars nearly collided in front of me, killing my momentum. On one of the big downhills, I heard a clunk and realized my bag had popped off the bike The second rest stop was a welcome sight. I knew the worst of the hills were behind me. There were some nice downhills, and I hit 45mph on one of them. But it was still rolling and my legs were tired. Slow and steady, I continued on. When I was a mere mile from the end, the guy in front of me hit some rubble in the shoulder and went flying into a signpost. He wasn't seriously injured, and while rolling on the ground in pain he screamed out "MY GARMIN! MY GARMIN! Where is it?!" There was a cop at the intersection we just came from, so we flagged an oncoming car to go get him. I continued on and finally made it to the end. Well, the end of the official ride. My brother lives two miles from the start, so we just rode to it, adding an extra 4 miles to an already long day.

Am I proud of myself? Yes, I was really surprised at how well I did. Would I do that particular ride again? No, it's just not fun. It's hard to enjoy the beautiful scenery when your gasping for air and focused on climbing the next hill. But I think it gave me more hope of completing my century in two weeks. That ride isn't nearly as hilly, so I think I have a chance.

Here's the elevation profile. As you can see, there were few breaks to be found.

Great job! I am very impressed.
    ~ Tanis

Yowsa! That looks like a lot of tough climbing. Congrats on sticking it out. Lesser mortals would've given up. Good on you!

Max