Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Already saddle sore!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi. I'm a "returning" cyclist (of a certain age!), not having ridden much for the last 10 years. I've recently found this forum and the information is very useful. However I would really appreciate some specific advice.
    I've been considering buying a bike for some time and have done a fair bit of homework around this. Last week I did my first ride whilst staying with my brother. It was an easy trail ride of about 7 miles but I was using my niece's bike and the saddle was really uncomfortable. (She later admitted that she only ever rides standing up!). I was very sore for the next couple of days. Having got home I've finally committed to a bike and took it out yesterday for a gentle run in. I was aware of still being sore from the previous week but thought I should work through it - feel the pain! Today I intended to go further but but I am so sensitive this morning I don't know whether to give the sore parts a break or whether I should continue.
    Any advice would be very welcome.
    With thanks in anticipation!

I would recommend giving yourself a break to let the sore parts return to normal - and before you get on the bike again get yourself a new saddle! Unfortunately we are all different and the saddle that is perfect for one of us doesn't work for someone else. For example, I have Fizik Vitesse saddles on all of my bicycles - fairly narrow with very little padding - and they work for me. Other folks swear by Terry saddles with a cutout. I tried the Terry saddlles and I found that I could feel the edges of the cutout, not comfortable. But many women here really like the Terry saddles.

I'd recommend taking a look at the Favorite Saddles forum, under Gear and Accessories. There are quite a few discussions in there about saddles; maybe you'll find some information there that will help you.

Welcome back to cycling, and welcome to the forum too!

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

saddle sore

Hi Denise and many thanks for your suggestions. It's just a great day here for cycling and I was all eager and raring to go but I guess I knew I would be better waiting a bit. I will follow the lead on the saddles but suspect that it is not so much the new bike but the damage done by riding a borrowed one!

simplesoul,

What were you wearing when you did the rides? Cycling shorts or something with no padding or even seams? That could have caused some of the soreness. Maybe if you wear biking shorts with a good pad inside, plus a layer of some sort of chamois creme, you might be able to ride for just a bit and enoy the nice day. I know that feeling of wanting to get out on the bike, no matter what! But only you know how sore you are. Use your own good judgement.

Sending some "heal quickly" thoughts your way!

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

I rode 25 miles today. I was going to wear a pair of unpadded cycling shorts, but didn't. I wore a pair of jogging shorts that have bloomers in them. Bad idea. They rode up and irritated me on the ride. I have a Trek 7200, the seat is kinda cushy, since it's supposed to be a comfort bike. However, on longer rides I get kinda uncomfortable on the saddle. I don't know if padded cycling shorts would counteract the seat or just add problems. I tend to sit further back on the seat and I'm slightly more comfortable then. I can't really pinpoint the source of my discomfort. I typically ride 10-15 miles a few days during the week and then a longer ride of 20 or so on the weekend. Around 10 miles I'm okay, even with these shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer
    I have a Trek 7200, the seat is kinda cushy, since it's supposed to be a comfort bike. However, on longer rides I get kinda uncomfortable on the saddle. I don't know if padded cycling shorts would counteract the seat or just add problems.
    I highly recommend wearing padded shorts. I never get on my bike without my bike shorts - as far as I'm concerned no ride is too short to need the right level of comfort.

And I hate to tell you this, but cushy seats are not always comfortable. You'll need to find a combination of the right saddle and the right shorts for the most comfort for you.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

saddle sore

Hi,
    Just to let you know that I read the saddle section, realigned the saddle on the new bike so that it tilted forward a little and went for a short spin with minimal discomfort. No special clothing - the distances I think that I'm likely to cover at this stage probably don't require it but i wouldn't have gone out at all if it hadn't been for accessing advice from this forum.
    Tomorrow is another day!
    Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I'm aware that a cushy seat is not always best. I tried to explain that to my mother.... The tailbone needs some support that a wide cushy seat can't always provide. There are so many seats out there though... and it's the end of season. Options are becoming limited in some stores.

My Navigator had a cushy seat on it - it was the First thing I changed on that bike! Like Denise said: it's a very personal thing, all my saddles are Specializeds. But the bike shorts would help a lot as they will pad the sit bones some and not have seams in sensitive areas, they also won't ride up and get caught in places that can chafe.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"