Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thigh/waist discrepancy?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, I know we've had discussions on these things in the past, but I need reassurance, I guess.

I am finally losing weight. Today I put on a brand new pair of pants that I bought to hold me over until I fit into my smaller sizes (my 'fat pants' are finally too big again!). I put them on and was admiring how they didn't gap to much at the waist and how they fit my rear/hips pretty well. Then I stood back and noticed how tight there were across the thighs. Luckily, they have stretch in them, so it's not uncomfortable. It's not immediately obvious because of what I am wearing them with, but it does kind of piss me off. These are a 'curvy' cut from the LOFT and previous pants from this cut fit me better than these do. So I whipped out my tape measure to check and my measurements only annoyed me further.

Before I started to lose weight, my waist was 31" and my thighs were 25". That's a difference of 6 inches. Sounds reasonably normal, right? Now my waist is 29.5" and my thighs are 24.5"...only 5 inches difference. I know that at one point, I had a 26" waist and a 22" thigh...a 4 inch difference. I don't have my measurements at my thinnest, but I would bet that they are somewhere around 25"/21"...I think that a 4" difference between my legs and my waist will prevail. This is the hard part about losing weight - the waist to leg discrepancy gets WORSE the smaller I get.

I know that I'm unusual compared to the world at large (pretty obvious when shopping for clothing), but I'm hoping that if you compare me to other strong cyclist women, I'll be less odd??

So tell me...what is the difference between your waist measurement and your thigh measurement? Am I really that much of an oddity??
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

You're lucky! My waist is 29 inches and my thighs are 25, my hips are 37. I have a really hard time finding pants that fit. I pretty much wear a belt with everything so I'm not showing stuff I don't want to show.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Yeah, but I get this odd feeling that I don't want to lose more weight because the discrepancy will only get worse! But I do want to lose more weight because I'm overweight! Ugh!

Luckily, (or unluckily??), my hips are pretty narrow for my pear-ness. I have a big butt though (baby got back!) so it kind of evens out. Pants shopping SUUUUCKS. Of couse, I had a feeling you would be able to relate to my plight, V.

Pants are cut for little waif women, not strong athletic chicks!

Currently, my waist is about 26", hips are 36", and thighs are 21". All of my jeans are tight in the thighs, even if the butt and waist fit fine.

It annoys me too...on top of not being able to find an inseam between regular and tall, I can't find an "athletic cut" either. Mrrf.

My honey thinks I'm hot so I try to not worry about it. My belly is pretty flat. He says my butt looks good in lots of my pants. I try to forget about the thighs.

I'd love to lose more weight off my thighs but I don't want to get that extreme in my diet. It wouldn't be sustainable. This morning I was wishing I was blonde and blue eyed. That isn't going to happen either.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    This morning I was wishing I was blonde and blue eyed. That isn't going to happen either.

Bleach and contacts?

Thanks, Becky - you make me feel better (or at least, less odd!)!

Veronica -- your comment about wearing a belt reminded me of when I shop with my daughter and she's looking for pants that she can wear at work.

She's on her feet most of the time, but there's the squat for file from the bottom drawers. Every pair of pants must pass the "bottom drawer test." If stuff is visible when she squats, the pants go back on a hanger!

It IS the curse of the curvy, eh?

Karen in Boise

I don't consider myself exceptionally curvy. It wouldn't occur to me to try anything labeled "curvy cut" and, even if I did, I'm not convinced that it would help that muscular thigh thing!

Karen, love the story! I think I'm going to start using the test!

FWIW, my waist at this particular moment is 29 1/2 and my thighs are 21 3/4. I'm pretty sure that never in my adult life have I had a 26" waist. Also it's been years since I wore any pants that sit at my waist -- they tend to smush the belly button ring.

Pants sizes are wack. The ones that usually fit me best these days are the "authentic fit" boot cut jeans from J Jill. But even with them, there are variations. I have 2 pair of dark wash jeans, and one is tighter in the waist and shorter in the leg than the other. I also have a pair of lighter wash jeans that fit more comfortably but are dangerously close to plumber's butt if I squat down. I just bought a pair of gray jeans in the same size and they are very baggy in the butt.

The other day I tried on a pair of Hilfiger denim shorts in the same size that I wear in J Jill jeans. They were about 6 inches too big in the waist, no exaggeration. (Did I spell that right?) A few months back I tried a pair of Levi's in the same size that were too tight in the thigh and falling-down too big in the waist and hips.

Unfortunately you just have to try on lots of styles in various sizes to find the closest fit. For a perfect fit, get something that fits the largest part of you and then have it tailored down elsewhere.

Yep - can't have butt crack or underwear showing - not when you teach 5th grade.

I wear a lot of my tops tucked in for that reason. Also no bra lines or cleavage - not that I have any, cleavage that is.

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica; 05-19-2010 at 11:51 AM.

TandemHearts.com

When my mom married my father, her waist was the same size as his thighs.

I wanna know who was in charge of what parts I inherited? How did I get her waist and his thighs on my body? What kind of cruel joke is that??

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    When my mom married my father, her waist was the same size as his thighs.

I wanna know who was in charge of what parts I inherited? How did I get her waist and his thighs on my body? What kind of cruel joke is that??
    I feel the same way. I otherwise have my mom's smallish build, but my dad's heavier thighs and big butt. I also didn't get her blue eyes. For that matter, I didn't get his dark, almost black, eyes either. Mine are the color of mud.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I must not be doing my measurements right at all . . .
    My waist is 33 and my thighs are 22 . . . But all my pants are tight in the thighs. I have BIG thighs, thunderous, strong, ginormous! Hmm, I must be measuring down too far.

Arghh genetics! My mom and I look exactly like these fine ladies (my grandmother, great, great-great, and great-great-great grandmother). Big flabby arms have run in our family for generations. I have to buy a shirt size up just so I can move my arms around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5569_119549297569_696712569_2259413_798929_n.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	11280  

I have similiar issues finding jeans (flat stomach, small waist, larger hips and upper thighs) from when I was a size 4 in high school up to my biggest at a size 12/14 a few years ago. My best bet has been mens jeans. I'm in Levi's 541's Slim Straight jeans and I'm a happy camper. I wear a size 34/30 and the jeans sit 2 or so inches below my belly button.
    Last edited by jp4995; 05-19-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Spelling