Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arch pain

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

To disable ads, please log-in.

If you point your feet now, you'll likely do it even with other shoes and pedals, unless, of course, you make a conscious effort to change your pedaling style.

Lots of employers and cities are recognizing the benefits of bike commuters. I hope your town gets with the program soon.

Take a look at MKS Lambda (aka Grip King) pedals. I have them on my commuter and I love them!! No more foot pain.

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

I also use campus pedals on my commuter and love them. I have a second pair of cycling shoes that I wear when I'm commuting, or running errands and I know I'll be on and off the bike a lot. They're Shimano mountain bike shoes, and are flat on the bottom with rubber soles and recessed cleats so I have stable footing while walking around - I hate walking in my road shoes and slipping all over the place, as well as worrying about messing up my cleats. Might also try some spin shoes - for a mile commute, you wouldn't be putting too many miles on the shoes and be able to walk around in them, too. Just a thought
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

I still swear by my Chrome shoes. Stiff sole makes a great commuter shoe. They make several styles. http://www.chromebagsstore.com/

Wow, sorry I sound like an ad. I am just impressed with them. Seriously, they take a couple of days to break in but they are great sneaker alternatives and grip the pedals like crazy. Sometimes I feel like I'm clipped in!
    Last edited by moderncyclista; 05-21-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

Maybe some orthotics are in order? I just put some in my cycling shoes to combat my foot pain.

moderncyclista, would you recommend the Chrome shoes for long-distance bicycling as well? I've been looking for a stiff sole without clip-in capability so that there's no "bump" inside my shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Sally View Post
    Maybe some orthotics are in order? I just put some in my cycling shoes to combat my foot pain.
    I have orthotics already but they messed up the fit of my shoe when I tried them Correcting my pedal stroke does seem to help a lot and I instantly notice the additional strain on my arch when I tend to point my toe

I'll let you know if the shoes I ordered help with this
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Toe pointers, where are you feeling the arch pain? I have dealt with outer arch (peroneal tendon) pain on my right foot a few times over the past couple of years. What solved the issue was moving to running shoe with a more flexible forefoot, then adding Superfeet insoles to give a bit more rearfoot stability. But when I get this pain on the bike I'm not sure how to prevent it. I'm a toe pointer, too.

My pain has gotten better as I've ridden more miles, so maybe it's just a newbie issue in my case.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by kjay View Post
    moderncyclista, would you recommend the Chrome shoes for long-distance bicycling as well? I've been looking for a stiff sole without clip-in capability so that there's no "bump" inside my shoe.
    I don't know about centuries, but 25 miles or so and they still feel good. I'd still give em' a thumbs up for anything 25 miles or under. I've just never tested them past this point. I guess I should. I would like to get a pair of Keens (sandals) for touring, just for the sweaty, hot, humid months here. I've heard those are good too.

I like Chrome's shoes so far. I wear em' everyday I bike. Also, ingenius "lace gutter" idea. Tucks laces away so there is no danger of catching them in the chain. Woo!
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

Arch Pain Solution

Wow, stiffer soles helped my arch pain!! I don't like using the shoes without the clipless part because the shoes are slippery but I'll keep at it and see how it goes...clipless seems like a bit of overkill (but I reserve the right to change my mind at any time )
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

I use a MTB shoe to help with the slippery - and to let me walk around! I use them even on my 3.5 mile commute, but I work in an office with a strict dress code and leave my work shoes under my desk every day anyway. Days I don't ride, I walk in from the bus in stockings and white sneakers - very "Nine To Five", I know! but it keeps my feet happy.
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)