Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question Undergarments???

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everyone! Whew! So glad that this forum exists...and I discovered you! I'm a complete "Newbie", who definitely needs advice!

I'm the proud new owner (purchased just today!) of a TREK 1500 WSD (47...tough to find!)! I haven't been on a bike since I was 13 years old! I must admit that after the practice rides I had today to get the bike fitted...I'm a bit terrified...and wondering what I've gotten myself into!!! After reading some of the various threads...I'm feeling even more than a bit overwhelmed about getting started!!! My husband is a very experienced rider...however, there are just some questions that only other women can answer!

I'm in the process of getting outfitted from head to toe...and wondered if anyone out there has any advice regarding...UNDERGARMENTS!!! I understand the argument for riding "au naturel". I'm still having a difficult time thinking of NOT wearing underwear! Yikes!!! Any suggestions (i.e. brands, websites, material choice, etc.) of good underwear and bras??? I'm open to advice regarding going "au naturel", as well!

Thank you so much!!! - Ariel

Hi Ariel -
    Welcome to the board, and welcome to cycling!

While I do wear a sports bra, underpants are definitely not needed under bike shorts. Just try on enough shorts to find a pair with a comfortable chamois for you, and plan on washing your shorts after every wearing. Underpants are not necessary and an uncomfortable extra layer. My shorts of choice are Pearl Izumi Ultrasensors - but we're all different, and if you keep reading here you'll find that we all like different shorts.

On the sports bra side, good sources are the Team Estrogen site and Title 9. I've been wearing Champion bras lately though, and I usually get them directly from their web site.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Patagonia is having a nice sale if you are small enough to wear cute sports bras. I hate the uniboob models. I am the only person in the world who wears undies with my bike shorts. (I tried to reform, but I couldn't do it!!) The Patagonias are good for that, too. Title Nine has a HUGE selection of sports bras, though mainly in black and white.

Nanci

underwear under shorts ?

OUCH!!!!!

The reason you do not wear underpants is to prevent chafing, saddle sores, etc.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

undergarments

Hi Ariel,
    Congrats on your new bike, keep us informed on how you like it. That bike is on my wish list for when I upgrade. As far as clothing, you will really find that clothing does make a difference. The comfort and breathabilty of the material is wonderful. I do not wear underpants under my bike shorts. I was told that there would be too much bunching and cause irritation. There is so much padding that once you put the shorts on, you almost feel like you have a diaper on until you get used to it. At least I did. Now it is just second nature and I don't realize sometimes that I am even wearing them. After your clothing, if you can swing it, I would recommend the shoe/peddle clip system. It is unbelievable how your performance can improve on your bike with having your feet in one position instead of being all over on a platform peddle. It takes a little getting used to but I would recommend that system to anyone. My Dh just purchased his first bike in like 30 some years (he figured if he couldn't beat me, might as well join me), and the first thing on his list are gloves and shoes/peddles. I hope you enjoy your bike and good luck and welcome to the board. shelly

I know, I know...I tried to go without, but I just am not comfortable. But I wear nice seamless technical underwear that cause no problems. You couldn't do it with every day undies. I'm not telling Ariel to wear undies!

Nanci

Contrary to popular opinion, I wear Aniamo Cool Max Padded Briefs which I purchased from R.E.I. I've worn this brand for 2 years now so I can say with some reassurance that they do work if you want a liner.

I have found that my most comfortable shorts have the gel chamois in them. I have other shorts, but after about 40 miles they aren't as comfie.

One piece of advice- always use Chamois Butter or equivalent when you wear these liners. I have a large tube for home and then smaller packets I take with me on rides just in case. AND, make sure the shorts fit you. Too loose will be very uncomfortable. Try on different brands- I now use Performance Elite Gel shorts and am quite happy with them.

My two bits worth on the shorts!

Regarding the new bike- Just get on and start riding!!! I have Look type platforms which I rode with running shoes for a month before I ventured into the clipless realm. At some point, I would recommend that you switch over, but not until you feel totally comfortable on your bike! Good luck and let us know how it goes. Your DH is probably ecstatic that you are taking the leap! We all love having riding partners!
    Nancy

out of your usual comfort zone

Sometimes it is good to step out of your comfort zone. Open your mind.......
    You can overcome this, for the love of cycling. I am sure you can get beyond this. Not asking you to do it outside of cycling of course, that is just gross
    You will find it much quicker, less expensive, and most importantly... COMFY!
    After your ride, take your shower, then you can put your undies back on.
    Taking time and money to look all over internet for special undies that may/may not work for you, does mean you are not out there on your bike having the time of your life, being carefree, because your inside searching for that special unneccesary article of clothing. Step out of the zone.......
    You can do it !!! (Just do it! -NIKE)
    Once you hurdle this little fear...you will be ready to conquer other fears. Like going clipless. All for going out of the zone just a bit....
    Last edited by AutumnBreez; 08-27-2005 at 11:13 PM.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

No undies!!! You will get used to it very quickly and be very very glad you did. Undies = chafing and bunching. Besides, no-one else (almost) is wearing undies so it wouldn't be weird. Look for 'vpl' . You won't find it on anyone! Comfort is the key. You can also look on other threads here about mensturation and what to do about that while cycling in case that is what you're worried about. Short answer there is diva cup, bike shorts, and nothing else. Enjoy yourself.

NO UNDERCLOSETS!!!!

No chaffing, no ouchy seams (Nanci, at least you've found seamless), no goofy undie lines, just no!
    It'll placate the wild woman in you.
    My chest is a little on the larger side and my choice is Moving Comfort, it's so individual. Title 9 does have great descriptions but I started out buying local, so I could try stuff on. I went to a running center 'cause I figured if a bra could hold the girls in while jogging it'd be fine with biking. Still, I did have some trouble finding the bra sizes, not just sm, med and lg.
    And get on, ride, have fun. You might be a little wobbly at first but with practice you'll be riding a straight line in no time. Know your hand signals and the rules of the road and enjoy yourself. Welcome to bike riding, glad you could join us!
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

You are from my hometown!!!!!!!

Ariel,

First of all, you are from my hometown- LaGrange, NY!! I don't live there anymore- now live near Monticello, NY. Where did you get your bike?? Hard to get small WSD around there....

As to undies- if you are going on longer rides ditch them because they will just chafe in the butt area or bunch up in the senstive areas. Always wear a sports bra or a singlet with a built in bra within. Most of the ladies here echo the same.

Enjoy!!!

Talking Undergarments!

Hello Everyone!

Wow! I'm blown away by your responses!!! Thank you so much for all of your terrific advice, info., and testimonials!!! Yesterday, I did manage to buy my first pair of cycling shorts and jersey at a LBS...just so that I could get right out there and start riding (I've been to 3 local bike shops; and find that there is barely any clothing for women!)! Of course, it was raining like cats & dogs all day...hopefully, tomorrow will be the day! I'm a bit small-chested, so I bought a sports bra at a local dept. store. This is just to get me by before l place my "mega orders" to "Team Estrogen" and a bra order to "Title 9" !

This whole cycling thing is a bit of a "stepping outside my comfort zone" kind of thing for me anyway, so I think I'll...take the plunge and forego the undies! It has to be easier than dealing with the clipless pedals! I'm just taking it one baby step...or pedal push...at a time!!!

I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to respond to my weird inquiry! I really appreciate your words of encouragement & support!

I wish you all: "Happy (and comfy!) Cycling"!!! - Ariel

Smile LaGrange Hometown Girl!

Hi Saxa82!

So excited to hear from someone who knows "LaGrange"...plenty of hilly terrain...when I get rolling, I'll have quite a work-out!!! I bought my WSD at the "Kingston Cyclery"...across the river. "Bill" treated me like gold (I've been reading some horror stories about women cyclists and LBS salespeople!)! He was very encouraging; and didn't let me walk out of there until my bike was completely fitted to me! It was a bit of a fluke that they had the bike at all! It was a complete miracle that they would have the exact make & model that I wanted...and in a 47!!!

Bill was going to order me a 2006 when they came out in late Sept/early Oct.(too long to wait!). I thought that I wanted a 2006 because of the bigger 700 wheels (vs. the 650 wheels offered in the 2005 47s). After speaking with "Debbie" (She owns "Wheel & Heel" in Wapp.Falls), an experienced 5'1 rider, I felt comfortable going with the 650 wheels. Also, the TREK colors for 2006 are terrible! I couldn't have asked for a better bike to begin this great
    new learning adventure!

Thanks for posting a "hello!"! - Ariel
    P.S. - Wish you were still local! Enjoy cycling in your new "home" town!

Smile Thanks, Doc!

Dear Doc!

Thanks so much for directing me to the "Tips & Tricks"/"Embarassing Questions" threads! You're right...I was curious about what to do concerning that...other "cycle"! I had all of my secret questions...answered (I must admit that the undergarment question was the "warm-up" for the "What on earth do I do every month" question!)! I learned an incredible amount!!!

Thanks a bunch! - Ariel

Great Job !!!

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! SOOOO PROUD OF YOU FOR STEPPING OUT OF YOUR COMFORT LEVEL ARIEL!!!! Enjoy the comfy ride!!!
    Last edited by AutumnBreez; 08-29-2005 at 03:34 AM.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/