Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tofu?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone have a good tofu recipe? I bought some extra firm tofu to make a recipe I found for vegetarian buffalo wing wraps. I cut the tofu up into little cubes and fried until crispy. The wraps were great but I have a lot of crispy tofu cubes left over and wanted to do something else with them.

Smile

I want the buffalo wrap recipe, I have been craving buffalo wings for days!
    katluvr

"buffalo wing" wraps

I must put in a little disclaimer first... My sister who lived in Upstate New York for years says these are not like real wings, however, I have never lived east of Denver and think they are yummy. So if you're a purist you might not want to try these.

A friend of mine made this up, so the measures are approximate, just make as much as you want to eat.

Ingredients:
    Tofu extra firm
    Whole wheat tortillas
    lettuce or salad mix
    Franks Hot Sauce
    Sweet BBQ sauce (such as Sweet Baby Rays)
    Blue cheese crumbles
    Blue cheese salad dressing (I use Litehouse Original)
    Toasted chopped pecans

Directions:
    Cut tofu into 1 cm dice and fry until crispy drain on paper towels.

While tofu is frying mix Franks and BBQ in a bowl Start with 2 TB BBQ and 1 TB Franks, Adjust to taste. When tofu is done and drained add to the bowl and mix to coat.

Warm tortillas, top with tofu, sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles and toasted pecans, add some lettuce and blue cheese dressing. Wrap and enjoy.

I am sure there is a better thread than this...but I am still struggling w/ getting my protein in with out all the extra calories AND not eating cheese with every meal! Duh!
    I probably should prepare some tempheh and/or tofu to be able to throw into my salads and such to get my protein. Other thoughts, recommendations. I still worry I am too low on protein somedays! Plus I still need to drop a few pounds.

Thanks

K
    katluvr

Katluvr - I find that if I bake a bunch of tofu at once I can get all the work out of the way and then add it to different things throughout the week. Spring rolls, salads, delicious bowls, snacking. I usually do either Asian or Italian inspired baked tofu. The Asian one has soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, ginger, and garlic. The Italian one is balsamic or red wine vinegar, olive oil, herbs, salt, and garlic. Don't have any exact measurements but there are lots of recipes out there.

Our favorite current meal is a quinoa bowl. Quinoa, baked tofu or beans, fresh veggies and a tahini or cashew butter sauce. Just clean, fresh food and has lots of protein from the quinoa and tofu/beans.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

I recently bought "Veganomicon, the Ultimate Vegan Cookbook," by Moskowitz and Romero.

Not a vegan. Not a vegetarian. Omnivore. More red meat, more better. Not much into grains. I guess I'd fit pretty well into the paleo diet, 'cept I looooove cheese.

Anyway, though I'm not a vegan by ANY stretch of the imagination, I love this cookbook. It is clever, creative, and has utterly mind-blowingly good recipes.

Tofu isn't the world's greatest source of non-dead-animal protein. If you can tolerate whey, how 'bout jumping into some smoothies made with a hearty scoop of whey powder? They are quite satisfying, and much lower fat than cheese at every meal. Eggs are also amazingly satisfying, and since commercial eggs have never been within sniffing distance of a rooster, no moral issue there. I try to buy my eggs (like my meat) from humane sources. They may cost a bit more, but it is worth it to me.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 07-07-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Commonsense Vegetarian Cookbook
    300 recipes, all of them very good - and there's no point where any of the meals require a faux-meat replacement
    Just good meals, all of which just so happen to be made with only vegetables

Have you looked at the smoothie option? I found that to be a really easy way to increase proteins without the extra calories - spirulina is awesome stuff for smoothies and juices

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Eggs are also amazingly satisfying, and since commercial eggs have never been within sniffing distance of a rooster, no moral issue there.
    Just a side note - this isn't why vegans don't eat eggs. It has to do with the layers eventually being slaughtered and all the male chicks being crushed to death because they don't lay eggs.

Back to the topic - Veganomicon is an awesome cookbook. Isa Chandra Moskowitz's new one, Appetite for Reduction is also great. It's generally low-fat but more than that it's all veggies, whole grains, beans, and a few recipes with soy. It's what kicked off our bowl obsession.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    Just a side note - this isn't why vegans don't eat eggs. It has to do with the layers eventually being slaughtered and all the male chicks being crushed to death because they don't lay eggs.

Back to the topic - Veganomicon is an awesome cookbook. Isa Chandra Moskowitz's new one, Appetite for Reduction is also great. It's generally low-fat but more than that it's all veggies, whole grains, beans, and a few recipes with soy. It's what kicked off our bowl obsession.
    I thought vegans didn't eat eggs because they are an animal product. And vegans don't consume any form of animal product.

I thought vegetarians, on the other hand, consume animal products that don't involve killing the animal. Therefore, unfertilized eggs would presumably be "safe" for a vegetarian, because the egg didn't "die."

Katluvr mentioned she was eating cheese, so I made the assumption she was looking for vegetarian protein options, not necessarily vegan ones.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 07-10-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I totally agree. Another great one is "Appetite for Reduction", Isa's newest cookbook. Low-cal recipes without sacrificing flavor or including artificial anything, with ingredients that can be found almost anywhere.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Knotted - you are right. Sorry, I got onto the vegan track because of Veganomicon. Which reminds me I need tempeh to make the sushi rolls from there for dinner.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    Knotted - you are right. Sorry, I got onto the vegan track because of Veganomicon. Which reminds me I need tempeh to make the sushi rolls from there for dinner.
    No problem!

I've got tempeh, I haven't tried the sushi roll recipe. Oooh, maybe I'll do it this weekend...