Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lefties--where are you

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone else out there left-handed? Just curious to see....

Do you favor you left hand for most things like sports etc. or are you just as capable with your right-hand for most everything?

Personally, I write and eat left-handed and can do most sports with either but, seem to be better as a south-paw. Strange thing is I brush my teeth only right handed....must have been taught that way as a kid I guess and it stuck
    Last edited by Trek-chick; 05-14-2010 at 11:51 AM.

I'm left-handed, too, and use that hand mainly, except when I use a mouse, I use my right hand, or use the touchpad on my laptop!
    Do you sleep on your left side as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Kim1976 View Post
    Do you sleep on your left side as well?
    Sure do

I am a righty (at least for writing), but I do mostly everything else lefty.
    Can only drink from the water bottle with my left hand.
    Clip out left side first. Get on bike from left side.
    Drink coffee and other beverages with left hand.
    Can kick a ball equally well with either foot.
    My left side is generally stronger. I have better vision in my left eye.
    I have a lot of difficulty cornering right on the bike, but left never has been an issue.
    I sleep on my left side, too.

Think my laterality is messed up?

lefty. my dominant foot, hand and eye all left.
    I did learn to play the violin (not very well) with the "normal" position, righty.
    I married a lefty.
    we brought 2 right-handed children into the world. they were both traumatized like lefties are in normal families. They'd never used right handed scissors until they went to school..
    I think my right arm is pretty strong because I pack things with it while I do the fine motor skills with the left hand (like putting the key into the door)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I'm fairly ambidextrous. I write with my right, and snowboard the "regular" way, but my left ear (phone) and my left eye are dominant. So when I took archery, I had to use the bow with my left hand. I'm more comfortable breathing on my left side while swimming, and I sleep on my left side.

My dad's a leftie but he was forced to write with his right hand while growing up.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I'm a south paw, but am fairly ambidextrous. Really, I mostly do things with my right hand. I unclip on the right side, cut right handed, but do sports left handed (baseball, throwing, bowling, etc).

I never really thought about it until you asked. Now I'm sitting here thinking about all the things I do and which side I do them with. Hmmm...
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

It is kind of hard to tell what I am I write with my left hand and eat with my left hand. Strange thing is when I used to play baseball I would throw with my right and bat with my right but when I played tennnis I would be left handed. A lot of fine motor types of tasks I use my right hand and my right arm is stronger.

I'm left handed for fine-motor skills, right handed for gross-motor skill. Don't know what I am for some things. I can saw left or right, but generally hammer right. Throw a ball and bat right. Can mouse either way. Drink from water bottle in left hand. Unclip my right foot. Left eye dominant.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Another mixed dominance lefty here. I write and eat with my left hand, get on and off my bike from the left and do just about everything else with the right. Is it any wonder that I terribly directionally challenged and don't know my left from right without thinking about it.

Seriously lefty in nearly everything. When I was a kid, my Dad told me I used a shovel and a broom right-handed (not even sure how there is a left or a right shoveling or sweeping). I use a mouse with the right, but probably because when computer mice came into my life, they were just always ON the right side. I don't switch the buttons or anything.

Don't you just hate pens at banks, etc, that are attached with a chain? ALWAYS on the wrong side, so the chain lies right where you're trying to write.

Quote Originally Posted by Skierchickie View Post
    Don't you just hate pens at banks, etc, that are attached with a chain? ALWAYS on the wrong side, so the chain lies right where you're trying to write.
    Never mind those pens on chains: what about those danged credit card things these days? They're IMPOSSIBLE!

And yeah, directionally challenged -- good thing I point the direction I mean when I tell someone that when I get off the lift at the top of the mountain that I'm going left! (I'm working really hard at just saying "that way" when I point!)

Karen in Boise

like many others of my generation, I am the daughter of two lefties, but was forcibly trained out of it in school, so I write with my right hand but do nearly everything else left handed. It confuses my trainer who always wants me to start on the right side but perhaps he is dominantly right because he is a former Marine. As I get older, my handwriting deteriates more and more, so my children suggested that I revert to writing with my left hand. I tried that and it didn't work at all so now I am illegible in both hands.

One tip I read years ago said one way to keep your brain flexible is to do activities you normally do with your right hand, with your left. I tried reversing everything but nearly stabbed myself to death in the gums so I think I need to rethink that one.

marni

I write left handed. I kick with better aim with my left foot. However, I use a mouse, scissors, knife, and throw with my right hand.

I've dated a couple lefties, but I'm dating a right-hander now. After 8 months, he is FINALLY remembering where to seat the two of us in relation to one another at a restaurant so we don't elbow each other.
    “Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all.”
    - Emily Dickinson

I'm a righty but am married to a lefty. I've been reading your posts aloud to him and he's enjoying what he's hearing. Kano, his big complaint also are the credit card machines at cash registers. He also says that store clerks will always hand you a pen in your right hand and he hates spiral bound notebooks. He never thought about what hand he uses to reach his water bottle or which side he unclips first until I mentioned it. Second nature I guess.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme