Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

If the measurements for the Zoots don't seem to work out, try the Skins. they are based on BMI, not specific measurements. It might fit better.

http://www.skinsusa.com/index.php/en/skins-fit-guides/

I have a pair of 2XU tights that I put on after long runs. I agree, they do help.

I've also got a pair of knee high medical compression socks that I bought from a medical supply company online. I wear them to work sometimes on days that I know are going to be busy. They make a huge difference on how I feel when I get home. BTW, they were CHEAP: less than $20/pair.

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
    I'm tempted, too, but I'm worried that the waist would be too big (my thigh/calf measurement puts me in one size, but the waist measurement for that size is too big). Too bad these are unisex sizes.
    I worried about the hip to waist measurement also but it was all for naught. There is so much spandex or Lycra or whatever that Zoot compression stuff molds to fit the body.

I also worried that unisex would not be tight enough over my knees and calves because I don't have huge calves. Same result as above.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Thanks, SK. Good news --- my DH wants to buy me a pair as a belated Mother's Day gift from the goldens.

So, the vascular doctor told me to buy nylon stockings for compression for the post trombosis, seems NOW I have and EXCUSE to buy the totally cool running compression tights. I have a long flight coming up, maybe I could wear them on that.

V -

We are an office full of believers.

Interestingly, we started out as an office filled with skeptics. But one by one, the performance of this stuff has won us all over.

When I run, my calves are the first thing to give out. They start to get tight and sore before I finish. But, there's a noticeable difference when I wear my compression socks. I wore there: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodZT_F9WCS01.html this morning for my 15 mile run. My calves never got tired. That isn't always the case, but when they *do* get tired, it's usually much later in the run as compared to when I don't wear the socks. But today was a good day, and my calves never tired. (My hips, on the other hand.... ) If I don't wear them when I run, I'll pull them on post-run to aid in recovery.

Today, as soon as I got home, I ate, showered, and pulled on my Zoot Recovery Tights (the ones from the photo on the other thread) http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodZT_F9UCB04.html It's very hard to describe how they feel on. Of course, they are very snug, but even more importantly, with every step I take, my muscles flex and the tights push back against them. It's like getting a gentle massage with every step. It feels great. And very supportive.

Do they really work? Research on compression indicates that they aid in venous blood return (speeding up blood flow back to the heart), best achieved through graduated compression. Many compression products on the market are not graduated (ie snugger at the bottom and gradually lessening as you move up the leg) but the Zoot product is, quite noticeably!

From a personal standpoint, I do feel I recover faster. A few weeks ago I did an event that involved 3 time trials in 2 days. After the saturday morning event, I pulled on my tights and left them on until the start of the afternoon event. I rode very strong. Then I kept them on most of the night and rode very strong the next day. I was tired, but I didn't feel sore.

I'm sure there's some placebo effect happening - ie. I *believe* they are working, so I feel good using them. But I've used them long enough and often enough that I see noticeable differences, so for me, they are worth it.

YMMV! :-)

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

I have just recently found out that compression tights/socks are one of the best kept secrets. I never used or needed them until I had a moderate amount of lymph nodes removed in the groin area due to something that occurred over the winter, and compression garments were recommeneded to help prevent leg lymphadema. I bought a medical grade compression tight that the therapist recommended, rated 20-30 mm Hg. I've only been using them for a couple of months as I've been easing myself back into cycling but what a difference I found. My legs don't get very sore at all when I use them, compared to when I don't use them.

The brand that I have is medical grade Jobst but now I'm seeing more "sports" oriented garments that also have a very decent graduated pressure. The ones I have get a bit hot if used over 70 degress.

Susan or anyone else...are there any brands out there that might offer the 20-30mm range that could be used in hot weather, similar to arm coolers maybe? I'm speaking of tights worn during the activity as opposed to recovering after. I can't see myself wearing these cycling in hot weather at all. I wonder if the Zoots, since they're sports oriented, have different ventilation or cooling fabric compared to the Jobst ones I have (not sports oriented). It seems that the socks are. Would any of the Zoots be suitable in hot weather or what would a cutoff temp be?

Maybe the best strategy in hot weather is to do what you do Susan and wear them after to ward off any edema if it occurs.
    Last edited by mudmucker; 05-12-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: clarification

Mudmucker -

Zoot makes an active version as well, which we sell. Unfortunately, it's hard to make a recommendation about temperature levels other than when comparing two products (ie. this one is warmer than that one.) What I might wear in 50 degree weather might be totally different than what you might be comfortable in.

That said, it's hard to find a full tight that's going to be cool over 70 degrees. In that kind of warmth, I'd say you'd be best using compression for recovery.

Note that the compression levels on active are less than recovery. Note also that the recovery pieces tend to have feet (ie. socks & stirrups) while active pieces tend not to (ie. calf sleeves and tights.) The reason has to do with circulation and "foot pump". That is, when active, our feet act as "pumps" to move the blood past the compression. When we are resting, our feet aren't pumping in the same way, and it's common for your feet to feel like they are losing circulation unless you are using a piece with compression in the feet as well. Remember, these pieces are most compressive at the bottom.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

As for compression clothing during riding, DH wore Skins bike tights during the bike leg of IMSG a couple of weeks ago. It was cool in the morning, but did warm up to over 70 by the time he got off the bike. He doesn't normally wear tights, and is not one to ever feel cold. He said that he did not feel hot at all and the chamois was very comfortable. A bonus was that his calves did not get tight. They are also UPF-50, which is a good thing in our part of the world.

This looks to be this year's version for men:

http://www.skinsusa.com/index.php/en...ng-tights.html

There is a women's version as well:

http://www.skinsusa.com/index.php/en...ng-tights.html

You can usually get a coupon for 10-20% off, but they still are quite expensive.

CW-X just came out with a ventilated full-length tight, that has mesh panels on the quad and calf, and is overall lighter than the regular Stabilyx, but still has very good compression.

I just got mine last week. To me, they were still a little bit warm for running in 70°F (with a very light top), but I think they'd have been fine for cycling temperature-wise, even several degrees warmer.

I can't quite see wearing compression tights on the bike - just because for me, when the chamois is held so tight that I'm suspended above the saddle, it's as bad as having it too loose - but it might be an option for you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have been using my 2XU compression tights for about two months and love them. Sounds like Zoot has an equally good product.

I too wear mine after a big hike or ride. I really don't think it is a placebo effect. I truly believe they work.

Nate, at Endurance Rehab in Scottsdale, AZ, writes a column for Triathlete Magazine. He absolutely believes that the science behind compression tights is real, and that they do work.

Lisa

My Zoots arrived yesterday and alas, the inseam was too short! I'm disappointed because I wanted to wear them after tomorrow's ride/long swim. They are packed up for return TE but have already ordered them in the next size up. I'll write a review after they arrive and I have a chance to test them out.

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
    My Zoots arrived yesterday and alas, the inseam was too short!
    I have the same problem with my CW-X tights, so I'd really hoped to hear that the Zoots were longer. Please keep us posted on how the next size works!

Susan -

You may have answered this elsewhere already, but I have a question about the sizing on the Zoot Recovery Tights (or any compression recovery garment). Looking at the Zoot size chart, my legs put me in one size and my waist puts me two sizes smaller (stupid men's sizing). I assume that for something like this, leg measurements rule? Or would I be better off going a little tighter on the legs and choosing the size that falls between my leg measurements and my waist measurements?

(or, do I just hold off until I lose more weight and see if my body ever falls into just one size category? )
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Susan -

You may have answered this elsewhere already, but I have a question about the sizing on the Zoot Recovery Tights (or any compression recovery garment). Looking at the Zoot size chart, my legs put me in one size and my waist puts me two sizes smaller (stupid men's sizing). I assume that for something like this, leg measurements rule? Or would I be better off going a little tighter on the legs and choosing the size that falls between my leg measurements and my waist measurements?

(or, do I just hold off until I lose more weight and see if my body ever falls into just one size category? )
    Leg, legs legs.

The waist is the least compressive part, but trust me, it won't gap on you. This stuff is snug.

ALSO, I haven't really mentioned this before, but on the RECOVERY tight, you will find the rise to be quite low. When you let it fall to where it wants to be naturally, it's VERY low. But 99% of the people wearing these are wearing them UNDER something (I usually wear them under jeans or a skirt), so the low rise isn't visible, or simply sleeping in them, so it's moot. BUT, they do often feel like they want to fall off your butt when you're walking around in them, and I have to hike them up a bit every once in a while. Most of us in the office feel that in the next generation, they need to make the rise a good 2 inches higher AND perhaps add some type of cinch, particularly to make these work better for women. We're providing that feedback to Zoot.

The ACTIVE version is higher in the rise and so does not give you the falling-down feeling.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592