Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wish print books came with a free (or heavily discounted) e-book, the same way that print newspapers come with an online subscription nowadays. For people who read like I do - just a few pages at a time, usually, over a period of weeks - searchability is really important to refreshing my memory on plot details and minor characters. Or maybe I just have a crummy memory. Either way ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Probably won't work on library books because they are drm protected.... but I'll check it out
    I must be missing something but . . .

Overdrive has ePub format and B&N Nook software is available for the iPod.
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...uch/379002320/

Additionally, Overdrive says you can use ePub with this software
    http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I just started checking books out on the library on my kindle too. Free books is a nice thing.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

liking my color droid tablet with 7" screen similar size to the fire but for a lot less, I'm uber happy.

Reading Kindle books, reading pdf books... I just need a manual on kindle so I can use some of the features like bookmarking and some note taking??

Not much into reading regular newspaper just don't have time. Gave up on NYT, Barrons, Wall Street Journal years ago. Lately, reading Reuters, Bloomberg... and occasionally Der Spiegel.
    Last edited by smilingcat; 11-30-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Reviving an old thread.

As documented elsewhere, I bought a Kindle Fire HDX which up and died shortly after the warrenty expired. I recently replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy tablet, specifically the Tab S2. Now I have tons of stuff to read for work, books about database development. There are some that I can download for free in epub format, so I figured I would download them to the tablet. Last night I attempted to research the various ebook-reader apps that are available. I downloaded FB Reader and will probably also try Moon +.

But I think I am just not smart enough for all this. I can't figure out how to use FB reader for anything other than the free copy of Jane Eyre that they offered on their start page. I'm just staring at it, clicking things that don't help me at all.

I was planning to buy a programming book which is more than 1000 pages long. After reading comments on various threads here about real textbooks being more useful than e-textbooks, I figured I'd buy a combination real book plus ebook, which the publisher can save to a Dropbox account. Then I can read the real book at home but have access to the ebook from other locations. Except this plan only works if I can figure out how to actually read the damn thing on a tablet or pc.

And I just spent about an hour trying to figure out which micro SD card to buy to add memory to the new tablet. I just wanted to know which type to get so I don't end up getting something that's not compatible. First I had trouble finding the manual on the Samsung website because the model number on the tablet is only 6 characters but they expect you to choose from a list where all the model numbers are more like 12 characters long. So I finally find the right manual and it gives pretty much no information at all, just "micro SD or micro SDHC." So I do an online chat with someone at Samsung who has to transfer me to someone else who doesn't really help me. So I decide to contact tech support at the store where I bought the tablet, but I need a reference number from the receipt for that but can't find the receipt because I don't know where I put it after I returned the first one I bought and got another one because the first one didn't work. I finally find the receipt and contact them and they say I can buy pretty much anything, SD or SDHC or SDXC and don't worry about the class because anything will work. So I am going to bring the tablet to their store and buy one and put the card in the tablet right there so if it doesn't work I can return it immediately. But really this just seems more complicated than it has to be.

Meanwhile I'm trying to find out the filesize of the ebook version of the book that's more than 1000 pages long, but that was no where on the publisher's website so I had to email them. Oh and I looked at a sample of the Nook version of the book, and the layout on the code samples is all messed up, which makes the book useless. So the Nook version is not an option, and I'm not risking the Kindle version either. Which brings me to the epub version, but I can't figure out how the apps work.

Sigh.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

The native file type for Nook books is epub, so if it is messed up in your Nook software it likely will be messed up anyway. If you purchased the ebook directly from the publisher there may, or may not, be DRM issues - but if that was a problem then I would expect you to have had an error message directly related to that.

You may have better luck with the Calibre software - I use that to convert ebooks (without DRM protection) between my various ebook format where possible. You can use it to read ebooks, so give it a shot. BTW, I've a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 that I use to read my Nook books these days since my Nook died and I moved on to the Kindle Paperwhite. I think sometimes there are problems with large, complex texts that a publisher has made available on epub because they don't stop to consider some the the special elements needed for an ebook environment. I mean the ability to change font size, border size, how the text flows, etc. This is why it can be dicey to convert a PDF to e-book formats as well.

Hopefully some of that helped at least a little, I share your pain on this.
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-04-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks!

I looked for a Calibre app last night but couldn't find it. I saw a few apps that appeared to be utilities for Calibre but didn't really know what they were.

Somehow I managed to get Moon+ to open one of the free epub books i downloaded today, though i don't remember how i did it. (Yes this is an appropriate time to wonder how someone so hopeless with hardware and apps could ever do software programming. I can't explain it. ) So I guess I will use Moon+ as my ereader, at least for now. I still have some Kindle books to read, so I'll use the Kindle app for that. For future non-technical books I might use Nook just because I'm still annoyed at Amazon.

Re: the Nook version of the long book I plan to buy, I looked at a sample on the Barnes and Noble site, where I saw the layout problem. Then I looked at an ebook sample on the publisher's site, and it was fine. If I buy from the publisher (O'Reilly ), I get it in several formats and they will update my copy when they make corrections. As near as I can tell, if I buy a Nook book from B&N I don't get any updates and if i don't like it then I'm SOL. So it seems worthwhile to buy from the publisher.

For my next trick, I need to open a Dropbox account. Let's hope that at least will be easy.

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Thanks!

I looked for a Calibre app last night but couldn't find it. I saw a few apps that appeared to be utilities for Calibre but didn't really know what they were.

Somehow I managed to get Moon+ to open one of the free epub books i downloaded today, though i don't remember how i did it. (Yes this is an appropriate time to wonder how someone so hopeless with hardware and apps could ever do software programming. I can't explain it. ) So I guess I will use Moon+ as my ereader, at least for now. I still have some Kindle books to read, so I'll use the Kindle app for that. For future non-technical books I might use Nook just because I'm still annoyed at Amazon.

Re: the Nook version of the long book I plan to buy, I looked at a sample on the Barnes and Noble site, where I saw the layout problem. Then I looked at an ebook sample on the publisher's site, and it was fine. If I buy from the publisher (O'Reilly ), I get it in several formats and they will update my copy when they make corrections. As near as I can tell, if I buy a Nook book from B&N I don't get any updates and if i don't like it then I'm SOL. So it seems worthwhile to buy from the publisher.

For my next trick, I need to open a Dropbox account. Let's hope that at least will be easy.
    The utilities you noticed for Calibre are usually related to moving an ebook from specific formats to others - some of the 3rd party utilities will remove DRM protection. Now that I think about it, I'm unsure if there IS an Android version of Calibre, I will have to look into that. I use it on my Windows machine the very rare times I've needed it. I've a large number of very old ebooks from a source that no longer is in business so I have to use Calibre to convert them to my ebook reader of choice.

O'Reilly has a good reputation for supporting their e-books, that is certainly the best direction for you given the technical nature of your texts. Neither B&N or Amazon will update the text when corrections are issued - at least I don't think so. Glad that you've found what sounds like your solution!

Yeah any micro sd card will work. Micro sd vs sdhc vs sdxc is just about maximum available storage capacities, sd the lowest and xc the highest. Just figure out how much storage you want. Micro’s are also cheaper than regular cards. I’ve always used regular (not micro) sandisc 16 gb sdhc cards in my camera’s and I’ve never had problems with sandisc. I prefer not to lose 32 or 64 gb’s of photos for whatever reason, I’d go just a little less crazy losing 16 gb’s of a days photos before getting them off the card and into an external drive.

The class rating has to do with transfer rates, class 2 being the slowest and class 10 being the highest….more useful for photos/videos

Dropbox is easy to learn, i use it to share files with some of our clients.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I didn't know Calibre had an app; I thought it was strictly software.
    Do any of you use to manage your main library? I've always just used Windows Explorer. I get my ebooks from a lot of different sources and I can see where Cablibre's tagging and organization could be useful.

And... my big beef with public library checkouts has mostly been solved. Public libraries set the checkout period with Overdrive. Our system "expires" books after two weeks. They still don't have a renew option, but you can go and get the same book again after three days.

I've had mixed experiences with the DRM stripper used with Calibre. Format conversion is super easy. I've even fixed some f-ed up PDFs to epub conversions (format issue) with the tools in the software.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Calibre is indeed available for Android phones and tablets, apparently the app on the phone connects with the calibre software on your computer. Personally I've yet to have any luck persuading my Galaxy Tab 4 to talk with my Windows 7 computer. For more info visit

calibre-ebook.com/new-in/nine.

Posting this from Tapatalk on my phone which makes links a PITA to post, sorry about the lack of one.
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-05-2015 at 09:03 AM.

I guess it's a good thing I don't need e books of a technical nature. I really did prefer to use printed text books while in my grad program. I know you can mark up and underline several e book formats, but for some reason I need to do this with a marker and my hand.
    Dropbox was invented by a high school classmate of my older son... Sigh!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I was able to read several chapters of one of the free epub books yesterday using Moon+. Then I created a Dropbox account, installed the app on my tablet and pc, uploaded some photos from the pc and viewed them on the tablet. (I had taken a bazillion photos of the Chesapeake Bay last month hoping one would be good enough to print in large size and frame to hang on the wall. I figured the super duper screen on the tablet made it the perfect way to view the photos. Unfortunately the sky looked pretty bitmappy in most of them, I guess because I was using the zoom lens on my camera. So they're nice on an 8 inch screen but not so much for 11x17 or so. Oh well.)

Later last night I had problems waking up the tablet when I wanted to use it again. I force-stopped both the Dropbox and Moon+ apps and restarted the tablet, and since then it's okay. Now I will have to try using the apps one at a time to see if either one was causing the problem or if something else was going wonky.

While I was using the tablet for reading I was keeping an eye on the battery. I want to be able to read with it during a trip later this month, so I'm hoping the battery won't die on me mid-flight. Now I'm wondering if I should look into one of those portable charging things that I've seen in stores but not paid any attention to because my phone battery still kicks a$$ even though it's several years old.

That's another thing about technology -- you think you've got everything you need, then you realize there's one more accessory. Kind of like cycling, I guess.

Gone but not forgotten:

Have any of you who use e-reader software ever had a problem with a book coming through mostly blank? I use my little hybrid laptop/tablet to read books (Win 8.1, ASUS T100 Transformerbook).

The library I check out e-books from used to use Blio and has recently changed to "Axis360 ebook" format, whatever that is. They made us change from using the Blio reader to Axis360, which is pretty much identical to Blio once you get past the login screen. I have had problems with books 2 and 3 in the Hunger Games trilogy using this software (don't know about the first book as I had an actual hardcopy of that one). Both books came through with only the title page, TOC, and section headers. All the text pages were blank.

I was hoping when the library changed to Axis360 the problem would be resolved, but nope, I checked them out and they are exactly the same.

I managed to read book #2 (Catching Fire) using Calibre and downloading a copy in ePub format through iBookPile (which I finally found online). Book #3, though (Mockingjay) is formatted oddly, with line breaks in the middle of lines, so it's difficult to read. It also has many instances of the letter "L" missing in words too! Not sure what is wrong with it, or if I am doing something wrong. I am new to Calibre so am not 100% sure what I am doing.

Here's the link to the books: http://www.ibookpile.com/2014/10/hun...e-collins.html
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

If you have calibre, you should be able to fix the formatting.

Go to preferences> conversion > common options > heuristic processing. I've used this to fix a number of books with funky formatting.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM