Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

kindle - love it!
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

For those who fear sensory deprivation with e-readers:

http://smellofbooks.com/

That, and a nice leather cover should do nicely.

You're welcome
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

oh, I would LOVE an iPad, however, I don't have an extra $600 in my budget for anything at the moment. My neighbours gave their 4 year old in iPad for Xmas...

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike View Post
    For those who fear sensory deprivation with e-readers:

http://smellofbooks.com/

That, and a nice leather cover should do nicely.

You're welcome
    I got all excited, but couldn't find the actual product. Then I found this site:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...n-a-spray-can/

Now I am sad. Why did you do this to me?!
    2011 Specialized Crux, aka (Toxic Honey)
    I'm faster in kilometers!

Let's not forget that you can put a reading app on a smart phone, or at least you can with an iPhone. I've been reading books on my phone for 6 months now. It's a little small but otherwise it's been great: the price is right and the software is free.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Love my Kindle. I always have something good to read in my purse!

Based on the features and specifications, I would rather have gotten a Sony Daily Edition. However, when I went to look at the readers in person, I found the Kindle screen to be easier to actually read from. You can adjust the size of the print, the space between the lines and how close the words are together. As it turns out, I really need that large print! I went to read a regular book a few weeks ago and gave up after 10 minutes because the print was so small.

I miss being able to share books with my husband, and I wish it were easier to flip back and forth within the book. However, since I got the Kindle, I've read more books in the past 4 months than I have in the past 4 years.

My advice to anyone who is undecided on what reader to get is to go look at them in person. Big box stores like Best Buy sell several different kinds, so you can compare them side by side.
    Last edited by soprano; 09-17-2011 at 05:58 AM.

We have these leather covers on our Kindles. They are a work of art and feel so good in your hands. Worth every penny and they are easy to resell and get your money back later.

http://www.oberondesign.com/
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

I love my kindle. I'm an avid reader and, at first, I didn't believe in an ereader. I love the feel and smell of books, I enjoy turning pages, love seeing how much I've read and how far I have to go, so I did not think an ereader was for me. I resisted for a long long time.

Then I bought an ipad. I thought I would use the ipad to read and do other things during my daily commute. However, reading on the ipad hurt my eyes and I ended up not using at all.

For Mother's Day, my husband bought me a kindle. I didn't think I would ever use it, but now I don't know how I lived without it. It's small and light so I can commute with it every day. I never run out of books to read and there are tons of free/cheap books so I am actually saving money. Additionally, when I go on vacation, I don't have to carry tons of books. I bring my kindle and that's all I need.

Will a kindle ever take the place of a real book? Probably not. I still prefer holding/reading an actual book, but it has its advantages and is useful and convenient so I'm glad I have one.

I still REALLY want a kindle, but have put my ordering on hold because of some potential download availability/price issues in Canada. The price isn't what I would pay, either, I have to pay an additional $30 to get it shipped to Canada so it's now a $180 gadget.

I also wonder how it will be if I get it shipped to my friend's place in Washington. Will the thing know I'm in Canada, or will I not be able to download anything unless I was in the states?

I read on my Ipod - (I have a Touch - same basic size/shape as an Iphone, just no phone). Overdrive is a great reader as far as readability goes (and it is what our library uses), but it only reads PDF ebooks.... I've found a workaround for reading regular PDF books using a reader called Bluefire. I have to validate the books (these are library books) through Adobe Digital Editions and upload them through ITunes. It's a little cumbersome, but it works. The reader isn't as great - the text is tiny, and though you can zoom in, it doesn't reflow. I can still use it (with my glasses off....), but I fear soon I won't be able to see it without bifocals....

P.S..... I thought I would hate reading on the Ipod.... I like books and I like to find things to read by browsing the shelves and looking at the covers.... so I figured I'd never really like adapting to an E-reader, but I loooooove it... tiny book anywhere... library books any place any time, never an overdue book!
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Another happy Kindle user here. As others have mentioned, it is hard to flip back and forth and generally navigate around the book, so I wouldn't use it for something I really wanted to study. It's great for general reading though, and it has vastly improved my access to English-language books. Shipping books down here is really expensive, but my Kindle has completely solved that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    I read on my Ipod - (I have a Touch - same basic size/shape as an Iphone, just no phone). Overdrive is a great reader as far as readability goes (and it is what our library uses), but it only reads PDF ebooks.... I've found a workaround for reading regular PDF books using a reader called Bluefire. I have to validate the books (these are library books) through Adobe Digital Editions and upload them through ITunes. It's a little cumbersome, but it works. The reader isn't as great - the text is tiny, and though you can zoom in, it doesn't reflow. I can still use it (with my glasses off....), but I fear soon I won't be able to see it without bifocals....

P.S..... I thought I would hate reading on the Ipod.... I like books and I like to find things to read by browsing the shelves and looking at the covers.... so I figured I'd never really like adapting to an E-reader, but I loooooove it... tiny book anywhere... library books any place any time, never an overdue book!
    have you tried Calibre freeware? It will convert pdfs to epub, aand others. I have done this with a lot of books. I read them with the iBooks app. ( iphone, not ipod but it should be similar)
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I have a Nook, which I chose for the ability to borrow & download library books. I really love it. I get pretty much all of my books from the library; Indianapolis library system has a huge downloadable selection, which is nice. I can borrow for up to 3 weeks.

I have the new eink Nook that came out a few months ago (traded in the white eink Nook for the new version). It is so nice - very light, small, and the battery lasts forever.

My husband has the Nook color, which I don't recommend. It's heavy and has a glare. I really like the new eink Nook.
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    have you tried Calibre freeware? It will convert pdfs to epub, aand others. I have done this with a lot of books. I read them with the iBooks app. ( iphone, not ipod but it should be similar)
    Probably won't work on library books because they are drm protected.... but I'll check it out
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Our library just announced ebooks for Kindle, and it looks like every book that's an epub is also available in Kindle format - great news for Kindle users! Now it looks like you can't go wrong with either choice!
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm