Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Do you have an ereader?

I'm thinking about getting an ereader. I know there is the Sony Ereader, Kindle and Nook. Can anyone recommend one? Someone told me that Kindle just came out with a new updated reader.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I don't have one of these and don't really know about them.

But I find this columnist in the Washington Post to be very helpful in learning about electronics and deciding which to buy:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/e-books/

I just got the nook. I looked at both the nook and Kindle, and I liked that I could expand the memory with the nook and also change the battery myself. That was the deciding factor for me. Not as important, I also like having a brick and mortar store in case I have problems (even though I have to travel a bit). Took me about a day to get used to it, but now I love it. You can go to Barnes and Noble and try it out, or you can go to Best Buy and try the nook or the Sony ereader. Fastdogs has the Kindle and she really likes it.
    I take mine with me everywhere I go. I read reviews on all of the ereaders on Amazon and cnet. Cnet is a great resource. Honestly, I think you will be happy either way. Another thing, if I had it to do over again, I would also consider the Sony ereader more seriously. I find that there really isn't a limit on the ebooks out there. I found sourcebooks which has tons of content. This site works for nook, sony and others as well. Not sure about Kindle though.

Oh, and before anyone goes on and on about using the library, please consider that some of us live in rural areas. I exhausted my local library with it's four shelves years ago. I am currently working my way through the Jefferson City library, but traveling 45 miles to return books gets annoying.
    Last edited by uforgot; 05-07-2010 at 10:44 PM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I have the Sony Touch - got it as a gift. I like it well enough, but apparently it's the only one with no wireless access. That's not a huge deal to me, just something to be aware of. I'd almost say that it's better off without, since you don't have the distraction you do on a fully functional computer, of always wanting to check email, TE, Facebook, the weather, etc., etc....

It's not backlit, which supposedly enhances readability in potentially glare-y environments, but it means you have to have external lighting whenever you'd have to have it to read paper. I will say that when there's adequate light, it's very readable - much more so than a computer screen.

It's really nice being able to scrawl notes in the margins, highlight pull quotes, and get back to them whenever you want.

Formatting can be an issue with books you don't buy through the Sony store, but I'm reading that the manufacturers and publishers are working on an industry standard format. If and when that happens, it should just be a flash update for all of the readers. It really doesn't make them less readable, just chapter headings, etc., can look weird.

Public domain Google books work fine on the Sony, according to my dad who reads a LOT of them that way. I haven't tried that yet. But there are a lot of books in that archive, and they're adding more all the time.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I have the Sony Touch - got it as a gift. I like it well enough, but apparently it's the only one with no wireless access. That's not a huge deal to me, just something to be aware of. I'd almost say that it's better off without, since you don't have the distraction you do on a fully functional computer, of always wanting to check email, TE, Facebook, the weather, etc., etc....

It's not backlit, which supposedly enhances readability in potentially glare-y environments, but it means you have to have external lighting whenever you'd have to have it to read paper. I will say that when there's adequate light, it's very readable - much more so than a computer screen.

It's really nice being able to scrawl notes in the margins, highlight pull quotes, and get back to them whenever you want.

Formatting can be an issue with books you don't buy through the Sony store, but I'm reading that the manufacturers and publishers are working on an industry standard format. If and when that happens, it should just be a flash update for all of the readers. It really doesn't make them less readable, just chapter headings, etc., can look weird.

Public domain Google books work fine on the Sony, according to my dad who reads a LOT of them that way. I haven't tried that yet. But there are a lot of books in that archive, and they're adding more all the time.
    Hey, I forgot about the backlit part. The nook and Kindle aren't backlit either. Reading a backlit screen is hard on the eyes, but these ereaders have to be used in light. Very easy on the eyes. The screens are antiglare too.

I also think the wireless part isn't really a necessity. You can always get books on your computer and transfer them to your ereader. As for surfing, well, it isn't really great . You CAN check your email and stuff, but it isn't a great experience and I only do it when I'm out and about. You couldn't really surf the web on it. I don't think the wireless part should influence anyone unless they plan on being stranded at an airport and need an emergency book! If you are like me, though, you will have 5 or 6 backed up to read anyway.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Never....

Nook and Sony

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    The newest Sony e-reader (the Daily edition - they have two models) does have wireless capabilities for downloading books/newspapers. The only caveat on downloading via wireless is that it is limited to the Sony E-store and Google Books - all other content must be downloaded via your computer. It does not have other wireless capabilities such as email/so forth, but that is not why one purchases an e-reader. I do like the ability to take notes/so forth with the Sony.

I LIKE Sony. I sold my last one, they had a model that got discontinued pretty quickly - it was the very first touch-screen version of their Digital Books. I am considering purchasing a new one to take on vacation with me - but am choking a little on the price. Especially with probably changes to my LHT in the very near future.

As far as the B&N Nook is concerned, I have yet to see one in person but I have a couple of questions. I like that it "does" color, it is the only reader out there that does. Do you find that strip at the bottom of the screen irritating/distracting? I understand that gives immediate access to your library/keyboard for searching? That is the one thing in the photos of it that I have seen which has me wondering.

Also - how is the screen of the Nook - is it reflective at all? That does decrease contrast - and what do you think of the contrast? I do like that it is less expensive than the Sony Digital Edition but right now with Sony's sale it is only $50 more expensive, and it does come with a cover and protective pouch...

I think that on my errands today I am going to have to stop by a B&N and look at one, but am leaning to staying with Sony.
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-08-2010 at 04:35 AM.

Kindle. LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    I just got the nook. I looked at both the nook and Kindle, and I liked that I could expand the memory with the nook and also change the battery myself. That was the deciding factor for me. Not as important, I also like having a brick and mortar store in case I have problems (even though I have to travel a bit). Took me about a day to get used to it, but now I love it. You can go to Barnes and Noble and try it out, or you can go to Best Buy and try the nook or the Sony ereader. Fastdogs has the Kindle and she really likes it.
    I take mine with me everywhere I go. I read reviews on all of the ereaders on Amazon and cnet. Cnet is a great resource. Honestly, I think you will be happy either way. Another thing, if I had it to do over again, I would also consider the Sony ereader more seriously. I find that there really isn't a limit on the ebooks out there. I found sourcebooks which has tons of content. This site works for nook, sony and others as well. Not sure about Kindle though.

Oh, and before anyone goes on and on about using the library, please consider that some of us live in rural areas. I exhausted my local library with it's four shelves years ago. I am currently working my way through the Jefferson City library, but traveling 45 miles to return books gets annoying.
    Awe, bummer...
    I don't know about all libraries, but ours has inter-library loan. I can go my closest branch and they can get a book they don't have from any library in the country sent to my local branch. I get the book there, and return the book there. Also, having an account on-line with the local library, I do my searches, holds, re-newals, etc all right from the comfort of my pc at home.

OP...
    I don't own an e-reader. But, I am trying to figure out what kind of adaptive reading device my mother could use. Mom unfortunately has degenerative macular eye disease and lost most of her vision. She was such an avid reader and misses it.

I used to love Borders Bookstore. However, our local store just went out of biz. So glad I don't own their version of an ereader. We have B & N. It's just bit too big for me. Doesn't feel cozy to browse. Something I used to love to do at Borders. I kinda like touching the book lol... I'd hafta figure out how to get used to an ereader... tho many peeps love them.
    Last edited by Miranda; 05-06-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    Awe, bummer...
    I don't know about all libraries, but ours has inter-library loan. I can go my closest branch and they can get a book they don't have from any library in the country sent to my local branch. I get the book there, and return the book there. Also, having an account on-line with the local library, I do my searches, holds, re-newals, etc all right from the comfort of my pc at home.

OP...
    I don't own an e-reader. But, I am trying to figure out what kind of adaptive reading device my mother could use. Mom unfortunately has degenerative macular eye disease and lost most of her vision. She was such an avid reader and misses it.

I used to love Borders Bookstore. However, our local store just went out of biz. So glad I don't own their version of an ereader. We have B & N. It's just bit too big for me. Doesn't feel cozy to browse. Something I used to love to do at Borders. I kinda like touching the book lol... I'd hafta figure out how to get used to an ereader... tho many peeps love them.
    Services for the blind has a free service, a player that plays a proprietary format audio tape, in a player suitable for someone with vision degeneration. My sister in law gets audio books this way. I wish I could think of the name of the organization but I am drawing a blank. It's free, also. She has used it living in several different communities.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I have had no interest in an e-reader because I read so many books, and I get them for free from the library. I can't afford to start paying for books, even if it is a little less than buying a hard copy or even paperback version of it. I understand, though, that that is changing and my library now is loaning e-books (for Nook).

I am in two book discussion groups, and I checked last night to see how many of the selected books for this year can be borrowed in e-book format from the library. Out of 10 books that I checked so far, 2 were available. When that ratio improves a little, I will be getting either a Nook or Kindle (if it will read E-Pub format by then) primarily for the note taking feature. I lead both discussion groups, and sometimes we discuss the book months after I have read it, so I need to take notes. Being able to highlight, copy, and annotate the book on the screen I am reading and copy that to refer to later would be so useful. I think I will seriously consider it when even half of the books are available because there are also many books that I would borrow that aren't on my discussion group list.

I anticipate that my Christmas wish list will be for either a Nook or Kindle.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Services for the blind has a free service, a player that plays a proprietary format audio tape, in a player suitable for someone with vision degeneration. My sister in law gets audio books this way. I wish I could think of the name of the organization but I am drawing a blank. It's free, also. She has used it living in several different communities.
    Thanks for much for that. Kinda thought there was something out there. I got a book on tape once out of default (only format available att). It turned out to be a wonderful thing. For me, I happened to listen to it in my vehicle on errands etc. Only way I was able to finish the book. I think mom would enjoy something like that. Hafta check into that further.

I've got the Kindle. I love it. My apartment is full to the brim with real books, and I can't bear to get rid of too many, so I thought I'd get the Kindle. Check out the online store(s) associated with each and the selection so that you can make sure the authors and books you like are available. I like 18th/19th century classics, and there are lots of free ones around. I'm also in Canada, and the publishers haven't quite got around to releasing some stuff I like here, like some of the Canadian Giller prize books and so forth.

The other good thing is you can download a sample chapter of a book free.
    Last edited by teawoman; 05-08-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Another Kindle owner and I'm very happy with it.
    Although it has 3G connectivity, I usually keep it off and the battery life is amazing.
    I will be spending a lot of time on airplanes this summer, and it will be great for having something to read - without carting around books.
    FWIW, most of my paper books have come from yard sales. Can't say I'm a regular at libraries.....I am a very slow reader and often sit on a book for months before I finish it. And sometimes, I'll have 2 or 3 books that I'm reading at the same time.
    I have some friends who used to rent art work at their local library. They found it great, as they could change pictures in their apartment on a whim.

Thanks everyone. I'm kind of leaning towards the Nook, I work with a gal with has a Nook and she ordered a cover/case for it that has a light. I haven't seen a Kindle yet.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100