Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Do you have an ereader?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm thinking about getting an ereader. I know there is the Sony Ereader, Kindle and Nook. Can anyone recommend one? Someone told me that Kindle just came out with a new updated reader.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I don't have one of these and don't really know about them.

But I find this columnist in the Washington Post to be very helpful in learning about electronics and deciding which to buy:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/e-books/

I just got the nook. I looked at both the nook and Kindle, and I liked that I could expand the memory with the nook and also change the battery myself. That was the deciding factor for me. Not as important, I also like having a brick and mortar store in case I have problems (even though I have to travel a bit). Took me about a day to get used to it, but now I love it. You can go to Barnes and Noble and try it out, or you can go to Best Buy and try the nook or the Sony ereader. Fastdogs has the Kindle and she really likes it.
    I take mine with me everywhere I go. I read reviews on all of the ereaders on Amazon and cnet. Cnet is a great resource. Honestly, I think you will be happy either way. Another thing, if I had it to do over again, I would also consider the Sony ereader more seriously. I find that there really isn't a limit on the ebooks out there. I found sourcebooks which has tons of content. This site works for nook, sony and others as well. Not sure about Kindle though.

Oh, and before anyone goes on and on about using the library, please consider that some of us live in rural areas. I exhausted my local library with it's four shelves years ago. I am currently working my way through the Jefferson City library, but traveling 45 miles to return books gets annoying.
    Last edited by uforgot; 05-07-2010 at 10:44 PM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I have the Sony Touch - got it as a gift. I like it well enough, but apparently it's the only one with no wireless access. That's not a huge deal to me, just something to be aware of. I'd almost say that it's better off without, since you don't have the distraction you do on a fully functional computer, of always wanting to check email, TE, Facebook, the weather, etc., etc....

It's not backlit, which supposedly enhances readability in potentially glare-y environments, but it means you have to have external lighting whenever you'd have to have it to read paper. I will say that when there's adequate light, it's very readable - much more so than a computer screen.

It's really nice being able to scrawl notes in the margins, highlight pull quotes, and get back to them whenever you want.

Formatting can be an issue with books you don't buy through the Sony store, but I'm reading that the manufacturers and publishers are working on an industry standard format. If and when that happens, it should just be a flash update for all of the readers. It really doesn't make them less readable, just chapter headings, etc., can look weird.

Public domain Google books work fine on the Sony, according to my dad who reads a LOT of them that way. I haven't tried that yet. But there are a lot of books in that archive, and they're adding more all the time.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I have the Sony Touch - got it as a gift. I like it well enough, but apparently it's the only one with no wireless access. That's not a huge deal to me, just something to be aware of. I'd almost say that it's better off without, since you don't have the distraction you do on a fully functional computer, of always wanting to check email, TE, Facebook, the weather, etc., etc....

It's not backlit, which supposedly enhances readability in potentially glare-y environments, but it means you have to have external lighting whenever you'd have to have it to read paper. I will say that when there's adequate light, it's very readable - much more so than a computer screen.

It's really nice being able to scrawl notes in the margins, highlight pull quotes, and get back to them whenever you want.

Formatting can be an issue with books you don't buy through the Sony store, but I'm reading that the manufacturers and publishers are working on an industry standard format. If and when that happens, it should just be a flash update for all of the readers. It really doesn't make them less readable, just chapter headings, etc., can look weird.

Public domain Google books work fine on the Sony, according to my dad who reads a LOT of them that way. I haven't tried that yet. But there are a lot of books in that archive, and they're adding more all the time.
    Hey, I forgot about the backlit part. The nook and Kindle aren't backlit either. Reading a backlit screen is hard on the eyes, but these ereaders have to be used in light. Very easy on the eyes. The screens are antiglare too.

I also think the wireless part isn't really a necessity. You can always get books on your computer and transfer them to your ereader. As for surfing, well, it isn't really great . You CAN check your email and stuff, but it isn't a great experience and I only do it when I'm out and about. You couldn't really surf the web on it. I don't think the wireless part should influence anyone unless they plan on being stranded at an airport and need an emergency book! If you are like me, though, you will have 5 or 6 backed up to read anyway.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Never....

I have a Kindle and love it. It is not backlit thus very easy on the eyes. I got it as a Christmas present and have read 30 novels since. My husband and I both plow through books and have 6 very large bookshelves crammed with books. The Kindle is saving space, It has already paid for itself with the amount of books I typically purchase in a year.
    I like that you can download the first 5% of the book as a sample to decide if you want to purchase the book. And I love that I can purchase a book anytime day or night and I have it within 60 seconds.

As uforgot mentioned , the library is not always an option for those of us in more rural areas.

Nook and Sony

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    The newest Sony e-reader (the Daily edition - they have two models) does have wireless capabilities for downloading books/newspapers. The only caveat on downloading via wireless is that it is limited to the Sony E-store and Google Books - all other content must be downloaded via your computer. It does not have other wireless capabilities such as email/so forth, but that is not why one purchases an e-reader. I do like the ability to take notes/so forth with the Sony.

I LIKE Sony. I sold my last one, they had a model that got discontinued pretty quickly - it was the very first touch-screen version of their Digital Books. I am considering purchasing a new one to take on vacation with me - but am choking a little on the price. Especially with probably changes to my LHT in the very near future.

As far as the B&N Nook is concerned, I have yet to see one in person but I have a couple of questions. I like that it "does" color, it is the only reader out there that does. Do you find that strip at the bottom of the screen irritating/distracting? I understand that gives immediate access to your library/keyboard for searching? That is the one thing in the photos of it that I have seen which has me wondering.

Also - how is the screen of the Nook - is it reflective at all? That does decrease contrast - and what do you think of the contrast? I do like that it is less expensive than the Sony Digital Edition but right now with Sony's sale it is only $50 more expensive, and it does come with a cover and protective pouch...

I think that on my errands today I am going to have to stop by a B&N and look at one, but am leaning to staying with Sony.
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-08-2010 at 04:35 AM.

Kindle. LOVE it.

Catrin - I read somewhere that the nook screen and the Kindle screen are manufactured by the same company. It is not reflective at all and compared to one of my student's Kindle, it looks the same. As for the color strip, I thought it would be annoying, but it goes off after about a minute, so it is just black. I don't even notice it. If you can get to a Barnes & Noble or Best Buy, it would really help you to actually see it or the Sony in action. The nook doesn't come with a cover. I think it should.

Also, you have 14 days to return your nook, and 30 to return your Kindle. They advertise this so you can try one and see if you like it. I didn't really think I would like reading a lot on these but I wanted to try one since I don't know anyone who DOESN'T like theirs. I was hooked within hours. I've seen all three:I have a student with a Kindle, I have a nook and I saw the Sony at best buy. I think I would have liked any of the three.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

i guess when my generation dies out, the libraries will too. The bookstores are already dying. When I can't get a book at the library, I like to buy used books from Amazon (see, it's partially my fault) Next, when I'm finished with the book, if i can't resell it, I share it with friends and family. If no one wants it, I donate it to the library..
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Libraries are dying because their funding is drying up, not because the media are changing. Libraries evolved pretty quickly to rent/lend VCR tapes, then CDs and DVDs. If they're not already renting or lending books on copy-protected chip, they will be soon - the libraries that survive the next round of funding cuts, that is.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

DH talked me into the nook, now HE uses it all the time and i just read the same book on my ipod touch (once its downloaded to our b&n acct he can have it on his nook and i can have it thru the ereader app on my ipod). the ipod touch is backlit.

i thought most of the books would be $9.99, but so far everything i've wanted has been more than that. so i'm still using the library. i got john wilcockson's "lance" book at the library--b&n wanted $20!!

but it is very convenient, anywhere you have wifi access. when you finish one book you just get another, or when you hear of a new book you can get it right away (i got the two "deadliest catch" skippers' books).

and you can lend the downloaded "book" out to a friend for 14 days! maybe we could start a share club right here!
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

I checked out the Nook at a local store this afternoon. Nice, the screen is smaller than the newest Sony Daily Digital Reader though... that may not be an issue. I like the contrast on the Nook a little better.

I bought neither, decided this probably isn't the best of times since I have a fitting for my LHT later this week and there will probably be other expense to at least move the shifters - if not the bars and switch to a new shifting system totally. I will continue to consider it though - I DID enjoy having one around, they are useful and you don't have to worry about the size of book that you might be carrying.

I've got the Kindle. I love it. My apartment is full to the brim with real books, and I can't bear to get rid of too many, so I thought I'd get the Kindle. Check out the online store(s) associated with each and the selection so that you can make sure the authors and books you like are available. I like 18th/19th century classics, and there are lots of free ones around. I'm also in Canada, and the publishers haven't quite got around to releasing some stuff I like here, like some of the Canadian Giller prize books and so forth.

The other good thing is you can download a sample chapter of a book free.
    Last edited by teawoman; 05-08-2010 at 02:57 PM.