Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    The iPod is way too small for me to read on for any period of time - but FWIW, you can manually adjust the backlighting even when the auto adjustment is on.
    I know, but I'm already at the lowest setting and if I drop one more the screen goes completely dark. Bummer, eh? The white-on-black took about 3 minutes to get used to, and now I can read on it just as easily as on the sepia or white screen. I loooooove being able to read in bed without a light on, and to fall asleep with the ipod in my hand and know it turns itself off safely. (yup, I've rolled over on it as well as dropped it and bumped it into large objects. it's still ok.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have a Nook... love it! When they were first introduced and not even shipping yet, I knew I had to have one. DH and I travel quite a bit and I'm a voracious reader. With all the relatively-new luggage weight limits for airplanes I can no longer pack as many books as I can read on a two week trip (especially if it's a cruise). Now I can download a slew of new titles and only have to carry the one device.

My best advice would be to do a little research to find out which screen you'll be able to tolerate reading on for a LONG period of time. I mean, keep in mind you typically read for a stretch of time so you need to be sure you don't experience eye-strain or headaches. Also, think about the availability of titles AND their cost.... and the ease of downloading them when you're not sitting in your own house with a ready supply of power and a steady internet connection. This comes into play when you're away on a trip and want to get yourself something new to read

Most of all, enjoy it!

I've decided I want a Nook. Now, have to figure out when the budget will allow for it. Thanks for the info
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I paid $259 for my Kindle brand new. Today they lowered the price of the Kindle to $189! That's fabulous.
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

They lowered the nook today too. It's $199 with G3, and $149 with only wi-fi. hmmm...an e-reader pricing war?
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

No.
    I have no disposable income for what i can get at the library for free
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    They lowered the nook today too. It's $199 with G3, and $149 with only wi-fi. hmmm...an e-reader pricing war?
    I'm not sure what is up with Nook but I hear that the Kindle 3 is on the horizon for maybe August.

Quote Originally Posted by sandra View Post
    I'm not sure what is up with Nook but I hear that the Kindle 3 is on the horizon for maybe August.
    I wonder what the Kindle 3 will have that's different. Do you get updates for your Kindle? I received my 2nd one today. New features including going to a particular page. That was one of the big complaints. The last update was in April and that's when the nook became web enabled. I'm a satisfied customer since they seem to be addressing concerns and then sending us the fixes.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I just got an update on my kindle a couple of months ago, that improved the font, increased battery life, and added a landscape option for the screen. There is supposed to be another one coming any time (I've been leaving the wireless on), but the only change I know about with that one is more font sizes.
    Now that the prices of the nook and kindle have been reduced, I'd like to talk my dad into getting an e-reader. If he got a kindle, I could register it and download a ton of military-oriented books from my kindle.
    I've got a backlog of books waiting to be read, there has been a good run of free books lately.
    vickie

I read yesterday that Borders is going to release their own line of budget-priced e-readers, hence the other companies dropping their prices. And as someone mentioned, the new Kindle will be out later in the year. We bought dad one for Father's Day and he's beside himself. He was always a big library user, but there are times when carrying/reading a book isn't feasible. My aunt said our library has e-reader downloads, so you can still access the books for free and after whatever the due date is, it just disappears from your reader. That's pretty cool.

With the Nook 3g/wi fi - do you have to pay for the 3g? With the 3g if I'm someplace where there isn't a wi fi, but I can use my cell phone - would the Nook work? Can I surf the web? Is the 3g worth getting? Thanks. I see the Nook wi fi is $149 and the 3g/wi fi is $199.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    With the Nook 3g/wi fi - do you have to pay for the 3g? With the 3g if I'm someplace where there isn't a wi fi, but I can use my cell phone - would the Nook work? Can I surf the web? Is the 3g worth getting? Thanks. I see the Nook wi fi is $149 and the 3g/wi fi is $199.
    You can only use the 3g to download books and it works anywhere you have a signal. You can't use the net with it. You have to surf the net using wi-fi and it's not very easy. The part where you actually touch is the only color part and it's pretty small. If you are in a wi-fi hotspot, you are better off using a laptop to surf.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Saw this today and thought of the discussion here about the effect of e-books on libraries.

The story has to do with digital music - but contains this quote: "The library ... has had a steady drop-off in loans of CDs. 'Anytime you see those negative figures, that's when you start asking, 'What's the new type of service, where we can continue to grow?' [director Mary] Ludlum said." Libraries needn't be (solely) places for physical books to collect dust.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Many libraries across the country are set up for patrons to "borrow" e-books

2011 Pinarello FP2 Ultegra (road)
    2010 Jamis Ventura Comp w/Selle SMP (road bike)
    2007 Fuji Absolute (hybrid)

If anyone is considering pulling the trigger on a Kindle, Woot's deal today is a Kindle for $149.99. That is a great deal. I paid $249 a year ago and would do it all over again.