Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I used to be a voracious reader, but now I'm lucky if I finish a book at all. And it takes me a LONG time to finish. Mostly because I'm too busy with life, or this silly thing called internet has changed how I use my spare time since I was in school.

I used to read when I was procrastinating with school work and would often have more than one novel going at the same time, too. Traveling used to be a time when I read a lot but lately I find I take my sudoku with me and end up doing that more than reading.

I was asking if you found you read more with ereader because my brain's craving to read, yet I just don't seem to find the opportunity to. I guess I just need to re-prioritize my life!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    No e-reader yet.

At this time in life, I would consider an e-reader for myself, a luxury, not necessary. I have my computer, Internet connection etc. which is more important. I have to have this attitude 'cause am living on a tight budget.

He has just bought a Mac laptop more for his own use/biz (which replaced a old dysfunctional laptop), but I could have access if critical. (But not no need right now.)

I am noticing for myself when doing stuff in front of computer for many hrs., i'm getting a bit dry-eyed. So I can't see how an e-reader would help here.

Being a librarian, demands (in last 20 years) competency on multiple software platforms for managing information with relational database and other content mangement software, plus keeping on top of different licensed research database platforms (and software feature changes) for research and for teaching adults. Most of my jobs required teaching adults on how to use certain software that involve problem-solving and critical analysis skills. It has been really interesting to see how adults think online and express their information problem-solving skills. I like using information technology to dig through a pile of data, reduce personal paper storage, to communicate with people one could never dream of 30 yrs. ago and share info. seamlessly.

So my reasons for not buying an e-reader is not, because I dislike technology. But now reading a real book for me is even more enjoyable...for ergonomic reasons and also flexibility to take a book anywhere, browse quickly in a non-linear, yet exploratory way and scribble in it in a free-flowing, contemplative manner.

As for my reading habits, pretty slack and spotty these days. I haven't read a novel in several..years. Instead I read more non-fiction.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 05-09-2010 at 01:42 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I love my kindle. Before, I found time to maybe read two or three books a YEAR. Now, I read two or three a month, if not more. I got a purse that it fits nicely in, and a protective cover (I think all ereaders are fragile), and it goes everywhere with me. If I have to wait a few minutes somewhere, I read my kindle.
    I have used it to check email; it's not a great thing for that, but it's nice if you'd like to check it and are in a wireless area. With the new update, the battery lasts forever. I have the free kindle for PC and kindle for mac programs downloaded, but really do not like reading on the computer screen, it's hard on my eyes. The kindle screen is very easy on the eyes, and I can actually read it in the car, something I've never been able to do without getting carsick.
    vickie

For those of you that currently have an e-reader - do you take it with you on the bike? I have an idea that it is light enough to take out on a ramble - but obviously it would have to go in a bag of some kind or a pannier.

It's plenty light enough to go in a backpack or messenger bag, as long as it has some kind of protective sleeve to keep the screen from getting scratched.

I haven't actually taken mine on the bike, but there's no reason you couldn't. You'd want to insulate it a little from the worst of the road vibration - make sure it's not contacting stays, etc. - but I really wouldn't worry about it. Time was, my laptops had thousands of miles on the motos with no problem, and with no moving parts, an ereader will be even less prone to vibration damage. The Sony comes with a neoprene sleeve which is plenty to insulate from scratches and vibration IMO. If you wanted a little more protection you could just wrap it in a towel or stick it in a bubble-wrap envelope.

One thing nobody's mentioned is the ability to re-size text. It's nice not to wear my reading glasses sometimes ... although after a certain font size, you start having to turn pages so often that that gets annoying, too.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have a kindle and I would use it more if I saved more on new releases. If I buy a book and it is good I can send it to my sister to read and then she can take it to her used book store and exchange for more books. I cant share with the kindle!

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    Is it just me? I've always found there to be an ick factor with used books.
    LOLOL! You are not alone! But there aren't many of us. One time I mentioned at work that I didn't like used books 'cause you don't know where they've been, and to this day I continue to get teased about it. (Remember that Seinfeld episode where George tried to return a book and they wouldn't take it back because they could tell he had taken it into the bathroom? )

Don't have an e-reader yet, but it's on my wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by arielmoon View Post
    I have a kindle and I would use it more if I saved more on new releases. If I buy a book and it is good I can send it to my sister to read and then she can take it to her used book store and exchange for more books. I cant share with the kindle!
    Sony allows you to authorize up to six devices on your account. I'd expect the other brands are the same or similar. So, if it's someone you trust, you can share books with someone who has the same brand of device, by temporarily authorizing them into your account.

I think someone mentioned the Nook has an actual lending function, that wouldn't require you to let the recipient have unrestricted access to your account.

I'd like to be able to trade or borrow books from others with ereaders as well, even if I could only trade or borrow with other kindles. They keep coming out with these free updates, maybe one of them will eventually have a trade function. I just got an update at the beginning of the year that allows it to do landscape and gave me more battery life (and the text to speech can go louder), now there is a new update we'll get that has more larger fonts, social networking options, and it looks like some sort of organizing capability. I like that I don't have to update by buying a new kindle, I just automatically get an update when one comes out!
    vickie

Kindle does let you share with another kindle. My sister does not have one. I think it is 10 days and while you are lending it, it is removed from your library.

Mine was bought for me as a gift and I would not have bought one for myself. I think if I had paid for it I would be trying to get my money's worth and using it like crazy.

I like the recycling part of used books. I only keep a select few books and pass the others on because I dont like clutter. That's why it works for me .

I have been a voracious reader all of my life. I got a Kindle for my last birthday. I think most of the pros and cons have been summed here pretty well, but I can recap:

PROS:

1. I love being able get a book anytime. If I finish my book, I can just go to Amazon and download a new one immediately.

2. I love that I can get a sample. I have tried a few samples that were just "meh" so I didn't buy the book.

3. Free books!!!!

4. Saves space and trees. I have many cartons of books stored in my garage because I don't, at the moment, have bookshelves. All of those books would fit on my Kindle!!

5. I love that I can bring so many books with me at one time. Then I can read whatever I want.

6. I tend to read thick books; the Kindle is much easier to hold. No more sore thumbs!!

7. I can browse for books wherever and whenever I want. I don't have to go to the bookstore.

CONS:

1. I do miss the feel of books. The experience of turning the pages. The mystery of approaching a new tome. All of those experiences are just not there, or are not the same with the Kindle.

2. I can't share books. I recently finished 3 books that I would have loved to share with my sister. Alas, she does not have a Kindle.

3. I find it a bit hard to flip around in a book. Sometimes I like to read favorite chapters over and over. Or, I have read a few that I just wanted to skip to the ending, but found it kind of difficult.

4. I don't have to go to the bookstore. I miss it. I know I still can, but I haven't been.

I just got a Kindle last Thursday and I'm on my 3rd book. I catch myself trying to reach up and turn the pages.

I'm loving it.
    Cycling is the new running.

Visit my blog: http://www.riverofmuscadinespublishing.com/

2 Kindle family here. I bought myself one for a trip to Australia and then my hubby started using it so much I had to buy him his own so that I could have mine back! I never dreamed I'd enjoy it but we love them! I read more and faster than I ever did. At first I thought maybe the books must be abridged I read so fast!!!

I saw something on TV today that would be great for carrying your ereader on your bike.
    http://www.skoobadesign.com/product/...rap-medium-23/
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

I'm deeply in love with reading on my iPod Touch. I never thought it would be so fabulous!
    http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ (I got mine at Costco for $180 or so.)

I've got the app "Free Books" (I think I paid $1 for it) which is all the classics and out-of-copyright stuff I've always wanted to read. I can read black-on-white during the daytime and white-on-black in bed in the dark. If I'm on a bumpy bus or if my eyes are tired, I can zip up the font size. I've read far more on the iPod than I've been able to read real books lately.

And the amazon.com/kindle app is free, so I can buy and read Kindle books when I get tired of the free books.

The iPod fits in my pocket, so I can take it everywhere. I've had it for about 6 months now, and I've dropped it and bumped it more times than I care to admit. No problem. I do take it on the bike, since it's in my pocket during my commute.

I thought I'd still have a desire for the Kindle or the Nook (or now the iPad), but the iPod Touch meets all my needs so well for reading/media/PDA/mobile internet, that really I'm actually... dare I say it?.... content.

ETA: There is a little eye in the top margin above the display rectangle of the iPod that reads the ambient light level and adjusts the backlight accordingly, within your preset preference. I find the adjustment for pitch-dark to be too bright for my eyes, which is why I read in bed white-on-black. YMMV.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-05-2010 at 06:11 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

The iPod is way too small for me to read on for any period of time - but FWIW, you can manually adjust the backlighting even when the auto adjustment is on.