Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Quick question for spinners

To disable ads, please log-in.

I want to do a spin class here and there because the weather here is so up and down right now. Since I am still so new I do not have all the equipment, warm clothes, to ride on a regular basis. I thought a spin class would be great for those days I need to ride and can't because it is to cold. Should I wear my bibs and jersey, or is that just weird?

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Wear cycling shorts, cycling shoes (SPD), a breathable shirt (does not have to be a jersey). Bring a small towel and two bottles of your favorite beverage. Drink both bottles--you will sweat alot. Also bring a snack to eat immediately after the class. I also like a heart rate monitor. Some instructors play music way too loud; if that's the case, bring some earplugs, too.

I just have bibs, will that be ok instead of cycling shorts? Should I leave my clips on my shoes?

Anything goes in a spin class! I have seen people in full kits to sweat pants to even jean shorts. Wear what you are comfortable wearing. I think most gyms have spd pedals on their bikes, so if you have spd cleats, you're golden!

You won't have your own "regular" saddle, the bikes usually have those big, padded fluffy seats (yuck!), but you're only riding for an hour, so it isn't the end of the world.

You could always go observe before you take a class. Or talk to other people in the gym or your instructor.
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!

I wear cycling shorts with a moisture wicking t-shirt (instead of my usual jersey). Definitely bring your cycling shoes. However, bring a spare set of sneakers because the cycling shoes might damage the hard wood floor of the aerobics room.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

I just wear 'gym clothes' for my spin classes. Mainly because while I'm there, I'm also doing other stuff such as strength training, other cardio machines, stretching, etc...and bringing extra clothes to change into just seems like a PITA. My usual gym attire is a pair of fitted capri bottoms with a technical fabric top. Our spin classes are only 45 minutes long, so I don't feel the need to wear cycling-specific clothes for it...except for my spinning shoes, which I always pack in my gym bag on spin days.

Thanks guys. I ended up wearing my bibs under a pair of capri workout pants. I am so glad I did too the extra padding was nice. We did a 30 min climb and final mileage was 18.9. The class was an hour and I will for sure go to another one, perfect for cold weather.