Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just bought 2 half-gallons of Horizons skim milk and a half-gallon of low-fat chocolate milk It will be interesting to see if the skim milk tastes better...I drink so much of it and I have such a low "fat budget" per day (from nutritionist) that I pretty much have to drink skim. I've long since adjusted to it as long as I don't drink milk with a higher fat content.

added> Oh My That is Good - especially the Horizons Organic low-fat chocolate milk

Organic milk is awesome!!

I don't know if you have a Central Market in your area (they may only be in TX, I am not sure) but on Mondays you can buy 3 half gallons for the price of two. Don't know how long this will last, so every monday I buy three and freeze what we don't use.
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

I never thought about freezing milk until I visited my boyfriend's parents in England. It seemed really odd then, but I often buy 1L of milk and freeze in 250ml portions as I use so little of it.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Back in the day, when I would go out to sea for 12-18 days research cruises, the cook in the galley routinely froze gallons of milk in the boat's freezer.

I never really had the need until they started having this sale. We drink almost a gallon a week between the two of us, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. I had heard somewhere about freezing it so I gave it a shot with one of the half gallons and it worked like a charm. You can't taste the difference. The only thing is that it takes awhile for it to defrost (like days) if you leave it in the fridge, so I usually will leave it in the sink for a couple hours. I don't leave it out until in completely defrosts, as I don't want to have warm milk, but I leave it until it is liquid but still icy.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by mraguirre View Post
    I never really had the need until they started having this sale. We drink almost a gallon a week between the two of us, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. I had heard somewhere about freezing it so I gave it a shot with one of the half gallons and it worked like a charm. You can't taste the difference. The only thing is that it takes awhile for it to defrost (like days) if you leave it in the fridge, so I usually will leave it in the sink for a couple hours. I don't leave it out until in completely defrosts, as I don't want to have warm milk, but I leave it until it is liquid but still icy.

This is good to know - I drink a little over a gallon a week, and it is quite a drive to the one store where I will buy milk from...however if the Horizon experiment works out, and I think it will, I have more places where I can buy it. It is expensive and may not always be able to afford it, but it seems the best milk for me to get when I can.

buying by the gallon is cheaper. I am just doing the half gallons now while they are on sale. Also, whole foods and central market have their own line of organic milk that is pretty good.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by mraguirre View Post
    buying by the gallon is cheaper. I am just doing the half gallons now while they are on sale. Also, whole foods and central market have their own line of organic milk that is pretty good.
    So far I haven't found it by the gallon... the local Whole Foods store seems more expensive than other places where I shop that has organic foods (like Trader Joes) so I avoid the WF store.