Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone train solo only for long rides?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did a Century in 2008 with Team in Training. I loved training with a team but I'm having trouble finding a group to train with now that is at my very very slow pace. Since I have a Century under my belt I'm not a total newbie - but I've called a bunch of cycle clubs and can't seem to find a group to fit in with.

I've begun riding again this year - didn't ride at all last year - and MAN OH MAN does it feel great to be back on my bike. This past weekend I did two 16 mile rides and loved it - could have gone on my longer. And I think I would like to sign up for a few 50 mile rides.

But I'm wondering - do any of you train entirely on your own? Ride on your own? Ever do 50 miles or a metric on your own? Any tips? I would love to find someone to ride with but I'm such a slow-poke - I can't seem to find a group I would fit in with.

I'll be doing my first century this Fall and will be doing most if not all my training solo. I plan to do a lot of commuting to work (15 miles each way) and do some longer rides on weekends. I printed out a few training plans I found online to get a basis for what I want to be doing each week but, will basically just ride whenever I can. Work and family make it hard to squeeze in rides sometimes but, the commuting to work will fill in the gaps for me.

I'm pretty much a newbie to road cycling. My background is mostly mountain biking so, this is still new to me. I don't mind training alone and actually think I like it better by myself. but, that's just me

I have gone through periods where I've ridden more by myself than with others. I've done long stretches of group rides, centuries and tours by myself. I actually find it kind of nice to do supported rides alone, certainly nicer than trying to keep somebody else's pace.

I do try to take some special precautions when I ride alone. Someone always knows where I'm going and what time I expect to be back. I carry a cell phone, money, and my Road ID. I tend to stick to routes I'm familar with on some level and/or I make use of the marked routes in my area that the club has used. My biggest fear, to be honest, is dogs, so I started carrying Halt as well.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Like Indy, I like to train alone. I know how to fix minor mechanical issues (flats, chains, derailleur adjustments, etc.) and carry a phone and my RoadID. I also let someone (DH) know when I am leaving and when I expect to be back, but not always my route.

I do A LOT of group riding (and racing), so training solo is actually one of my guilty pleasures

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriellesca View Post
    This past weekend I did two 16 mile rides and loved it - could have gone on my longer. And I think I would like to sign up for a few 50 mile rides.

But I'm wondering - do any of you train entirely on your own? Ride on your own? Ever do 50 miles or a metric on your own? Any tips? I would love to find someone to ride with but I'm such a slow-poke - I can't seem to find a group I would fit in with.
    Yes, I have trained on my own for large chunks of time --not that it's the best way. But it's just reality of not anyone to ride with during "training" period and preferring not to be bound to a group ride start times...

When you train alone, it's important to set specific target finish times for yourself and distances. And to push yourself to go farther each time you're ready/pumped. and under different weather conditions. Preferably add in some hills to ascend....every time you ride.

Keep a daily riding journal to help yourself and track your times/ mileage also.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriellesca View Post
    I did a Century in 2008 with Team in Training. I loved training with a team but I'm having trouble finding a group to train with now that is at my very very slow pace. Since I have a Century under my belt I'm not a total newbie - but I've called a bunch of cycle clubs and can't seem to find a group to fit in with.

I've begun riding again this year - didn't ride at all last year - and MAN OH MAN does it feel great to be back on my bike. This past weekend I did two 16 mile rides and loved it - could have gone on my longer. And I think I would like to sign up for a few 50 mile rides.

Hi,

riding /training alone is fine if you like it. For me I need the group dynamic, they push me to another level, even for long distance. What is your goal, getting stronger and faster, or just going for a very long distance not matter how long it will take.

I know it is hard to find a ride buddy, not everybody wants to bike more than 50 miles...

Good luck, and ride safe

Resi

Train however is best for you. Try training in different ways too. For example, I found doing weekday rides short but more intense by myself was easier because 1) it was in the very early hours of the morning before my family was up and 2) it allowed me to focus on particular things I wanted to strengthen like hill climbing or sprinting.

But long rides are very hard by myself. My mind starts to wonder and/or I look at people's pretty yard art and just slow down way too much for my goals.

The year I did the 80 mile El Tour de Tucson, I had only been riding one year and it was with a group of ladies who like to take a more leisure pace. So what I did was ride out to meet with them. I would start my ride at about 10 miles away from them. Those first miles I would push a little to get there on time. Then ride any where from 15-25 miles with them and then ride back home. Again giving a little push. Sometimes even making the return route longer than the start route, depending on the heat in Tucson.

This method gave me something to look forward to and kept me interested and on pace.

The next year I wanted to train for 109 mile ETT but wanted to push a little more. I didn't ride with them since I needed even more mileage and the weather was so hot so time was not on my side. Again I did my weekly rides alone (mostly because of schedule) but the long rides with a club. Somehow always found someone who was almost as slow as me so I was forced to push myself a little to keep up.

I did end up doing one long ride (about 70 miles) by myself but I had done enough with other people that I looked at it as an exception and turned it into an excercise in concentration.

And like people mentioned here, on the long rides my DH was home (ok had to be, he was on kid duty) had plenty of water and snacks in my Camelbak, knew my route very well, bike map and if I had to go on busy streets, would try to route it in such a way that it was earliest in the morning. Also, Sunday mornings are much quieter and stay quiet longer than Saturdays.

Good luck!

I summed up my solo training rides here:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=36591

I've done as much as 90 miles by myself (did my training loop 4 times). These days I'm retired from full centuries but I will still do 60-70 miles alone to get ready for metric centuries.

I love doing long rides alone. I also love doing long rides with one or two other people. I don't like riding with more than 2 or 3 other people, but maybe just because I don't do it very often. This year I'm riding more with someone else, because she's training for the Tour of Colorado. Last year and the year before, I was alone more.

I've done a few 100-milers alone (alone alone - not alone within an organized ride). I actually have more fun riding 100 miles by myself than I had last year when I did an organized one with 2 friends, one of whom I'd never ridden with before (she liked to stop more, longer, eat a bunch at every stop, etc, and my legs need shorter stops or it takes me miles to recover). I like being able to go my own pace, stop when & for how long I want, and not worry about making arrangements with other people. There is also the crabbiness factor that comes into play for some people when they start nearing their limit (and I'm no exception), which can spoil things for everyone involved.

There is something about the freedom of taking off for the whole day on my own, with my jersey loaded down with Powerbars & Gu & Gummi Bears that just appeals to me. Especially if it's in uncharted territory! I generally have a time goal, but try to listen to my body and not overdo it. I'll take my cell phone, if I'm going somewhere I might have a signal, but don't really worry about it. Generally, I don't have much trouble losing focus, and seem to be able to keep my goals in mind. It's such a satisfying feeling when I get done! A couple of years ago my DH and some friends were doing an 8-hour triathlon in Wisconsin, so I took my bike, figured out a route, made myself a map, and took off. I managed to get back in time to see them finish, and got my 100 miles of totally new-to-me riding in.

I loved doing long skis alone, but somebody PLEASE run with me!

I do try to get DH to pay attention when I tell him where I'm going.

I nearly always ride alone, including last year when I was preparing to ride the C&O Canal. I learned a lot, and had a story or two to tell as a result.

My riding habits have changed a lot over the last few years. When I was just getting started, I almost always rode alone. I was afraid of group rides and didn't think I'd find one slow enough for me. I was even intimidated by the idea of riding with a friend or two because I was worried about being too slow. However, I trained up to a century distance my first real year riding and got in a few training rides with friends who did the century with me.

My second year riding I started adding in group rides to my "training" and learned that I absolutely love group riding. At least where I live, finding a group to ride with isn't that difficult. Basically I found one ride that I enjoyed that really pushed me to get better and to hone in my rotating paceline skills. Through that group I met other cyclists who rode with other groups, and pretty soon I had a whole network of people/groups to ride with. I still did solo rides, but started to much prefer group rides and/or riding with a few other people. I didn't have to figure out the route, we were more visible on the road to cars than a solo rider, if I had a mechanical problem, there would be someone there to help me, etc.

Now this year my focus has turned to racing instead of centuries like last year. Therefore, I have joined a team which has only added to my network of people to ride with. Between racing, team training rides, club rides, etc I have less time for solo rides than I did before. Despite the fact that my cycling volume is way up (>15hrs/week on the bike), I find myself getting nervous every time I am about to set out for a solo ride. Since I rarely ride alone anymore I worry about getting lost, not having enough CO2, forgetting my cell phone, etc. Part of me is starting to feel like riding alone is more trouble than it is worth. Then I read all of your posts above and I remind myself to HTFU. Riding alone builds toughness!!!!!

Have I trained alone... yes... up to 70mi unsupported.

This was for my century last Fall. Which was to be my first 100mi. Dog crash ened that about mid way through. Left me w/some permanent damage to my body.

I had a buddy that was suppose to ride w/me in the event. And train for it. But, the buddy didn't come through (some buddy-ugh).

Actually, up until the dog got me, I was ok riding the event alone. As well as my training rides. In the event the SAG car kinda kept track of me. I had a few riders around me that I kept catching at the SAGs etc. So, I didn't feel alone.

Ever since my crash, I do not feel the same about riding alone. I am afraid now. Part of me just can't seem to overcome that feeling, to be able to ride alone as I did once before.

Yet, like you, I have yet to find a training partner at my pace & schedule. My riding partner is one of those not interested in training for an event, or going over 50mi. Plus, I am a slightly stronger rider than her performance wise.

When I did train alone, my iPod shuffle was my pal in one ear on very quite roads. But, it does deter hearing dogs slightly. So, I have went out without it. I hate riding alone without my music. I teach Spinning at my gym and my music is engrained in my legs power. When you have a pal, the tunes aren't needed.

I carried my cell alone. Road ID bracelet. Planned my routes out knowing where the closest gas stations were for more water etc. if I ran out. And did let someone know approximately where my routes was going to be.

Last, I have had some boderline scary things happen. Like cars w/guys turning around. One of my gym pal cyclists will not ride alone as a lady because of this very thing. She has a DH to ride with though. Makes a diff. Versus being alone w/no one to ride with.
    Last edited by Miranda; 05-03-2010 at 05:57 PM.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    all the time. It's rare when I actually ride with someone.
    I've trained for centuries alone, multi-day tours alone, and even trained for my Ironman all alone.

I find that since I started riding alone I don't mind it. In fact, riding with others is distracting to me. I feel pressured to keep up at a certain pace and worry that I'm slowing others down if they stay with me (or I feel like I'm slowing my pace to stay with them).
    I guess since I spend all day talking at work (teacher), riding/training alone is *my* time- and I prefer the solitude.

Just make sure you're prepared to take care of you, your bike, and be aware. Carry your cell phone, ID (or Road ID), some cash and a tiny first aid kit. Always make sure someone has some idea where you're at and when to expect you home.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    When I did train alone, my iPod shuffle was my pal in one ear on very quite roads. But, it does deter hearing dogs slightly. So, I have went out without it. I hate riding alone without my music. I teach Spinning at my gym and my music is engrained in my legs power. When you have a pal, the tunes aren't needed.
    I usually have a song stuck in my head while I'm riding. I choose good riding music to listen to in the car, at the gym, etc. so it will get stuck in my head. Sometimes I sing out loud while I ride.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagogal View Post
    Part of me is starting to feel like riding alone is more trouble than it is worth. Then I read all of your posts above and I remind myself to HTFU. Riding alone builds toughness!!!!!
    You got that one right, chicagogirl.
    If I didn't learn to cycle far on my own, I definitely would not be still cycling now..18 yrs. later after returning to cycling.

When training for racing, yes, group riding would help immensely. But still, mixing it up, would be good too --long-term for overall personal mental strength and perseverance.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 05-03-2010 at 06:41 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.