Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Anybody familiar with Specialized Tricross Sport?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Looked at one in the LBS on Saturday and fell in love. I was dead set on getting a Touring specific bike but this reallly sounds good. LBS owner has two employees that did the entire Southern Tier on this bike with no problems. I'd love to hear some other opinions if anyone has one.

Quote Originally Posted by danadear View Post
    Looked at one in the LBS on Saturday and fell in love. I was dead set on getting a Touring specific bike but this reallly sounds good. LBS owner has two employees that did the entire Southern Tier on this bike with no problems. I'd love to hear some other opinions if anyone has one.
    Yes, I have one, it's a 2008 model with triple crankset. Great bike, and I do enjoy it. I bought it as my first "road" bike in March of last year. I didn't know if I wanted a road bike or something more flexible to use on the gravel trails in my area. It seemed like a good fit. It was a great starter bike, and I'll use it from time to time instead of my road bike. I competed in a few cyclocross races last year too.

It's my secondary bike now (I have a true road bike, Madone 5.2 WSD). If I were doing touring or commuting, I'd use it more often than the Madone. My hubby uses his Tricross sport for commuting. I know there are mounts for rear panniers, but I'm not sure about up front. You might want to check that if you plan on any long touring rides.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by danadear View Post
    Does it fit?

tulip I haven't bought it yet...will buy it new so it will def fit if I buy it. Seems perfect. I already have a road bike but want something more versatile that is better for commuting and touring. The roadbike works okay for commuting but it's not going to be very comfortable touring. My commute is 46 miles round trip so I could go for some more comfort there.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    If it fits well and you like how it rides, then I don't see a problem. I like Specialized bikes, at least my 1986 Stumpjumper, that is. Never tried a newer one, but I think they are fine bikes.

I would just compare to other bikes with the same features. Like Jamis and Bianchi, for example. Comparison is always a good idea.

That's quite a commute you have.

Thanks for the replies...I like what I have read so far on the bike...seems to be pretty positive. Yes tulip...long commute. Unfortunately it is long enough that I can't do it everyday. Would like to move in closer to work about eight to ten miles.

I have a tricross sport with compact gearing (I think that's what it's called with two rings in the front?), although I changed out the cassette for a mtb cassette to help with the hills (there are a lot of them around here). I use it all the time for all kinds of things as it is my only bike. I have it kitted out with mudguards and rack for panniers for when I'm commuting to work. I've also done some long distances (ALC twice, 550 miles down the coast of CA). And I've even taken it on some trails and it handles gravel and dirt paths just fine too. A very versetile bike, comfortable and light enough for long distances and practical enough for commuting and tough enough for that shortcut through the woods. I would highly recommend it as long as the geometry fits you.

Thanks UK elephant! I think I am definitely going to get one...my SO wants one too. So exciting to have made a decision. Now to just figure out how to pay for it.