Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

is there a way to compare?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am in the process of trying to do things a little less mechanically and more by feel so....

1. I know that when I work out on a pre-core stridding machine with adjustable cross ramp and resistance at the gym, my steady challenging but not impossible rate for an hour is around 160-180 strides/ minute. On the treadmill, what feels like the equivalent pace is 4.7 mph at 3%grade.

Is there any way to equate either of these speeds, in particular the strides per minute which obviously means a right foot and a left foot-= 2 strides to cadence or rpm on the bike. Would it be the same, half as much or does it compare at all.?

thanks in advance.

marni

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    No idea about your question, but...

in the spirit of doing things more by feel, why not just go for a walk or a hike? Breathe the air, look at the flowers, feel the earth under your feet.

Just a thought from someone who despises artificial moving machines when there's an option for realness.

You'll forgive me, I hope, for pointing out that your question sounds like you're trying to do things a little more mechanically, not less? Why not just get on a bike, cycle until you feel like you're putting in roughly the same effort, and check your cadence at that point? Or skip looking at the cadence--just cycle until you feel like you're putting in similar effort?

I also suspect that you wouldn't get a good answer from another person--me going 4.7 m.p.h. with a 3% incline might be a nice, relaxing warm up, but my sister doing the same thing might drop dead from heart failure. Our stride length will also be difference since she's significantly taller than me. If you want to be able to compare cadence to stride, you'll probably have to compare your OWN stride to cadence.

What the heck is a "pre core striding machine with adjustable cross ramp and resistance" anyway?

Sarah

how to compre

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    No idea about your question, but...

in the spirit of doing things more by feel, why not just go for a walk or a hike? Breathe the air, look at the flowers, feel the earth under your feet.

Just a thought from someone who despises artificial moving machines when there's an option for realness.
    actually I ride 4 days a week and cross train in the gym 2 days a week- if I can get the right mechanical rythm at the gym, my muscle memory will help me convert that to some sort of cadence on the bike. I do not want to buy a cadence computer though because I am trying to get rid of mechanical devices on the bike so that I can ride more by feel. My basic question although vague and confusing boils down to when cadence is measured on a bike, what is counted? Is it wheel rotations, leg rotation, starting with the right pedal at 12:00 and bringing it back to 12:00 ? WHAT?

re the precore strideing machine with x ramp and resistance- I don't know what else to call it. possibly an elliptical trainer under the brand name of precore on which you can adjust the resistance and the height of your stride. It's the type where your feet are continually moving in a forward circular motion while staying in place on a platform. Some have arms that move and some have stationary hands, all read your pulse which always reads way high for me so I ignore it.

marni