Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Exclamation Bike Across Kansas ???

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've never been west of Chicago, but I'm seriously considering doing B.A.K. (Bike Across Kansas)next summer. My older bike came to me from Kansas via a friend who moved from there to here( and then onto Germany ). It'd be fun to take it home. Has anyone done this ride in the past or is anyone planning to do it next summer?

I live in the Kansas City area on the Kansas side. I have never done the B.A.K. but have seen videos of it. It seems like the people who do it are very nice and supportive of each other. The number of riders is small - 800 to 900. If you do it, bring a sail for your bike. Its the first week in June and you can expect either a strong headwind, tailwind or crosswind during that time of year. BTW, Kansas is not flat - there are plenty of rolling hills that seem to go on forever. I think the scenery is pretty boring unless you are in the Flint Hills area which is really spectacular.

If your heart's desire is to ride in Kansas, check out the Border Raider's ride. It's a ride through Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and Missiouri with a historical aspect covering the Cival War period. You'll encounter a beautiful landscape and lots of nice hills, as the ride follows the Missiouri river. There are motels or hotels to stay in at each stop. A Google search should give you the website and more info. People in the bike club I belong to did this ride and really enjoyed it.

Thanks Carm, I was wondering if anyone would ever reply !! Rolling hills are fine. I live in Pittsburgh, foothills of the Allegheny Mts. You wanna talk hills -- I think Kansas would seem pretty flat to me. As for scenery, I just drink it all in, whatever it is ....especially someplace I've never been. Nice to know about the wind and other rides, too. Thanks again.

There are two journals over on crazyguyonabike.com written about this year's Bike Across Kansas - maybe reading through these journals will give you a feeling of the ride.

BAK 2005

In search of OZ - B.A.K. 2005

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Thumbs up

Thanks Denise !!

Kansas is awesome, btw.

Beautiful scenery all over. Calm, quiet, bright blue majestic beauty.

Western Kansas is flat and I think that the ride starts East and ends West if I'm correct. Which is good because most of the hills are in the eastern half of the state. Best of Luck.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green