Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

View Poll Results: How often do you ride your bike to work?

Voters
137. This poll is closed
  • I'm a bike messenger - riding *IS* my work.

0 0%
  • Daily, rain or shine!

24 17.52%
  • Daily, when the weather is good.

10 7.30%
  • Several times per week, year-round.

27 19.71%
  • Several times per week, when the weather is good.

26 18.98%
  • A few times per month, year-round.

5 3.65%
  • A few times per month, weather permitting.

8 5.84%
  • I've tried it but don't do it regularly.

15 10.95%
  • I've never tried it but I want to!

13 9.49%
  • I've never tried it and don't want to.

9 6.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

You need an option for "not as often as I should!"

My commute is 19-21 miles each way depending on route. I would do it more, regardless of weather...if I had more time. It's just so difficult to give 3 hours per day to commuting to work. It's hard enough to give up 1 hour per day (when I drive)! It's not a very good excuse, I know...so my true answer is 'not as often as I should'.

I miss the 1.5 mile commute that I had for the first 4 months we lived here...
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I figured out a couple years ago that i needed to keep riding to work even in the dead of winter because the longer i was away from it, the harder it was to get back on the bike.
    In December and January, I averaged 1 commute a week, but now it's May and I bike commuted 4 times this week.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Commuting, Work & Daycare

I have been commuting a couple days a week during the spring / summer / falls days for the past 3 years now. After my husband was assured my life insurance was paid up and he was the main beneficiary, he became supportive of the endeavor. In fact, I have actually over heard him bragging about his wife commuting down to the Navy Yard in DC. Now, just to get him on the bike!!!

Before I started I did the following:

1) Reviewed every map and website I could find to determine SAFE routes. Many secondary streets that parallel main roads are actually designated bike routes and many have bike lanes painted on them.

2) Called a bike commuter friend I know and did a reconnaissance ride. Found 6 possible routes NOT on the main, congested roads. Must have crossed the bridges 8 times that afternoon checking out all the possibilities. Ruled out two as too dangerous, and a 3rd as good for August when Congress is out of session and traffic is really low. That leaves 2 great paths, one which goes right by the Washington Monument. Also, he taught me to watch for parked cars throwing doors open in your path when riding in the city. People really are not aware of their surroundings.

3) Found a shower … I sweat sweetie and my commute is 14 – 16 miles, one way. The first year I paid monthly fees to a private gym (a bit pricy), now I use the base gym (not nearly as pricy)

4) Pre-positioned clothes on the coat racks that are now empty as the snow is gone

5) Found a place to lock up my bike.

6) Pre-positioned the heavy U-lock onto the place I plan to lock my bike. I put a bright pink streak on my U-lock with nail polish for easy identification. I just leave it there for the season and only carry the key. Why carry the extra weight?

7) Packed a pull along bag with toiletries and placed them under my cubical desk (the walk to the Navy Gym is about 2 ½ blocks, on base, from my building and the first year of carrying a heavy shoulder bag got to be a drag)

8) Out fitted my bike with front and rear blinking lights for dawn / dusk riding. I already had a frame pump. When you lock up the bike for the day … TAKE EVERYTHING NOT PERMENANTLY ATTACHED WITH YOU. That includes the lights, computer, frame pump, water bottles, etc. Unless you don’t care that they may be gone when you get back

9) Printed out a Calendar with Sunrise / Sunset times to better plan commute times as I really am not up for night riding.

When I ride, I work out the logistics with my husband as to who will pick up our 4 year old, Erich, from day care. If I am, I load the tag along (previous years, it was a trailer) into our car. My husband leaves Erich’s ride at the school for that evening. Between Erich and the tag-along/trailer, I get an extra 50 – 60 pounds for the last 10 miles home. For Erich, I provide in-flight service (I pack drinks and gold fish ... who knew those things were a food group unto themselves), light plastic sandbox toys (when I had the trailer) and his helmet. I always stop at a playground on the way home, unless it is early Spring or late Fall and the lights are soon to go out. That way, Erich enjoys the ride and gets a little break.

I ALWAYS pack everything I need the night before so I can get up and go in the am. Earlier rides are better for avoiding traffic.

I do use a light weight, small messenger bag, to carry minimal items (reading glasses, money, biking necessities such as tire lever, extra tubes, small tool, travel size suntan lotion, Chap Stick, money holder, reading glasses, etc.). Remember, I don’t leave anything (like a seat bag) that can be stolen off of the bike. Also, I carry a small sample shower cap to put over my helmet in case it starts to rain.

BTW – I just buy my morning coffee and breakfast at a base food service counter.

I NEVER RIDE ON “RIDE TO WORK DAY,” BECAUSE THEIVES ALSO KNOW IT IS A GREAT DAY FOR THEM. MORE BIKES ARE STOLEN ON THAT DAY THAN ANY OTHER. My friend learned this from experience.

I NEVER RIDE THE MAIN STREETS ANYMORE THAN NECESSARY. JUST TOO DANGEROUS. I only use them as a connector to another back road.

I KNOW HOW TO CHANGE A FLAT … IF YOU DON’T FIND OUT HOW. Because of city construction, I got to change over a dozen flats last summer

I ALWAYS PLAN MY RIDES WITH 10-15 MINUTES OF EXTRA SUN LIGHT JUST IN CASE I NEED TO CHANGE THAT FLAT

ALWAYS CARRY A CELL PHONE FOR EMERGENCIES.

Hope this helps anyone considering commuting to work ...