Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Doing My First Race!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did it, I signed up for my first race. It is a pretty fast course, not overly technical so DH and I agreed it would be a good one to try to because I wouldn't get overwhelmed. I am a little nervous about the 17 mile distance! It is pancake flat, just twisty single track with roots, some sand but mostly hard packed. DH has "assigned" me a workout to practice race starts and took me out riding last night to work on handling. I feel a bit slow to be racing but I am not looking to podium, just see if I like racing.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Congrats! I just did my first mtb race last weekend. I came in second to last, but it was fun! Just remember to pace yourself so you can last the 17 miles. Don't hammer to try and keep up with the fast guys...

That sounds like a blast.

Just curious do you live near New Braunfels? We're flying to Austin for my niece's wedding Saturday night. I know Texas is huge!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

V- Actually pretty close to New Braunfels. I am NW of Austin, New Braunfels is south about 30-40 miles. It is about an hour and half away but that is nearby in Texas!
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Awesome!!! Have fun. Most XC races are a test of cardiovascular endurance as well as skills, so pace yourself and manage your nutrition and hydration, and HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Ama, you're a bad a**.
    "I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." Susan B Anthony

cool

Way cool AM! Is it a club race or the shorty distance in enduro type of event? (For example, most enduro's down here have a 50km &100km option.)

Have a funkily fun time! Pics please!!@

Exciting! When is it?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

That's a pretty fair distance for an MTB race... I'm usually racing that sort of distance as an expert. I'm guessing that it's due to the "pancake flat" aspect, and non-technical nature.

As others have said, make sure to pace yourself. BUT, do not go out too slowly, either. The first lap (or 5 miles-ish) should be at a HARD pace - this will give you the gap you need, and let you come down some for the remainder of the race.

Think hole shot - being the FIRST into the tight twisties is always best.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! If you can't use a water bottle when racing (I can't), wear a SMALL Camel Bak and remember to drink. For 17 miles, you're going to be out for 1.5 hours or so - try to drink every 10 to 15 minutes. And every 30 mins, eat something. I find on the MTB, in a race, Clif Bloks work really well - just make sure you pre-open .

Most of all, HAVE A BLAST! And of course, let us know how it went.

Good luck!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Ooooh! I can't wait to hear about it! I signed up for 2 XC races this year and they will be my first too!

The race is Sunday, it is a series of races this is the sixth one but the first that wasn't too technical and after my half marathon. This is the beginner/Cat 3 race I am doing. There are 8 women pre-registered which is a bigger field for women in my age group. CC we have Enduro events called the marathon series in the winter.

Last night I practiced race starts, it was brutal and I am not so good at going all out from a stop but at least I practiced! I am hoping to get a decent start because I KNOW I will be faster than someone and I don't want to be picking people off on a tight course. I have really good endurance from the half marathon I just did but not speed on the bike.

I am definitely wearing a Camelbak, even in the expert division racers do it some. I think I may do gels but tape them to my top tube, so I can get to them fast.
    Amanda