Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Do you use sunscreen?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I can feel the wrinkles forming. I need a good sunscreen for my face, that won't clog my pores. Any suggestions?

Neutrogena Age Shield Facial Sunblock is a good one. I have also used Aveeno Ageless facial moisturizer (it has a sunblock in it) and Clinique makes some good stuff.

2nd on the Neutrogena sunblock, I used the 85spf last summer and it was great. No breakouts, but it went on a little thick.

Third on Neutrogena! I also use Avon Anew Alternative moisturizer with a spf of 25.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

wrinkles

I can't believe the only thing you think about when you go out in the sun is wrinkles...

Do you not think about skin cancer? Perhaps it's just me..after living in NZ for 4yrs & now Aust...having the "slip, slop, slap" motto banged into my head etc..All I can think about is what time of the day i'm outside, using proper sunscreen & covering up properly...

Funny, the face, arms, hands, gets taken care of, but upper chest I tend to forget - and guess where I'm finding "age spots?"

Coppertone Sport spf 30 has been the sunscreen lately.
    Beth

I can't remember the brand, but basically anything that says it is specifically for faces and is sweatproof, probably Banana Boat or Coppertone. I use Neutrogena every day, but it isn't sweatproof so I don't rely on it for rides.

As someone who is also concerned about appearance in addition to skin cancer, I am trying hard to minimize my biker short and glove lines. I know some of you show your tan lines with pride, but I hate going to the pool or beach with glaring white shorts lines. I have gotten some Bull Frog SPF 50, waterproof, sweatproof, etc. to use. It is spray on, so I can cover myself quickly. I know it is probably a lost cause, but maybe I can at least minimize it a little bit. Plus, it is better for my skin!

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Faces by Banana Boat! It's great! But my fav is Coppertone Sport SPF 30
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply messing about on bicycles.” -Tom Kunich

Link to last year's discussion.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    I can't believe the only thing you think about when you go out in the sun is wrinkles...

Do you not think about skin cancer? Perhaps it's just me..after living in NZ for 4yrs & now Aust...having the "slip, slop, slap" motto banged into my head etc..All I can think about is what time of the day i'm outside, using proper sunscreen & covering up properly...
    It's not actually cut and dried—and I live in Chile, which is also affected by the ozone hole. First, sunscreen interferes with our ability to make vitamin D, and studies are increasingly showing the importance of vitamin D. I take a supplement, but I also try to get some naturally. Second, most sunscreens contain components (benzenes) that mimic female hormones. I am very concerned about exposing my young boys to that. For them, I use Banana Boat kids. For myself, I use sunscreen on my face and generally try to stay out of the sun during peak hours.

Sunscreen every day of my life since mid teens, inncluding winter. Still, the damage was done as a kid.

Vitamin D? 10 minutes per day to face and hands is what you need. Benefit of going without doesn't outweigh the risk of skin cancer.

"While exposure to sun may be the best way to boost vitamin D levels, this doesn't necessarily give sun lovers licence to tan. While being mindful of the threat of skin cancer, people should calculate how much time they spend in the sun depending on location, cloud cover, skin type, age and the amount of pollution in the area. Generally, doctors recommend that 10 to 15 minutes outdoors without sunscreen at least twice a week is adequate.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/05/16/f-health-vitamin-d.html#ixzz0mJ1WLvMW"

Melanoma is deadly. Early detection is key. It doesn't respond well to treatment once it's spread.

Please wear sunscreen, liberally, and reapply every couple of hours.

SLIP, SLOP, SLAP, WRAP - (wrap around sunglasses). Your eyes are at risk too.

SLIP, SLOP, SLAP??? Having some interesting visuals on this, but probably unrelated to what this actually means concerning sun protection

I am fair and do NOT tan, and have avoided the sun for years. That is about to change with my bike

I am noting sport sunscreens available at CVS with SPF 100 - when did it get that high? I DID, however, find a sweat-proof sports sunscreen with an SPF of 50 and a lip-stick with a 30 SPF. Do I need a separate product for my face, or will the regular sunscreen be enough? I don't care about wrinkles, I DO care about skin cancer.

For rides, I use Neutrogena Ultimate Sport SPF 70 for faces on my face. Regular Neutrogena Ultimate Sport SPF 70 for the rest of me. It works great. The only reason I use the special face stuff on my face is because it's less irritating.

For everyday I use Eucerin sensitive skin face moisturizer with SPF 30. It's the least greasy of the various brands that I tried last summer.

My biggest sun-related problem is brown spots.
    Last edited by ny biker; 04-27-2010 at 07:11 AM.

I have very sensitive skin and Hawaiian Tropic's Baby Faces is the only thing I can use that doesn't clog my pores. I use it on my kids too, so I can buy it in bulk.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Looks like I will have sunscreen just even the small area below my throat..brown spots.

That absolutely cements why I have not worn any tank tops nor sleeveless jerseys when I go cycling or hiking...for the past 18 yrs. I only wear sleeveless off bike when I'm visiting people or doing something completely non-sports.

And I am out cycling 96% of all days during spring, summer and fall ever since we moved to Vancouver (2002). Averaging at least a total of 1 hr. in total (or more) per day of cycling.

As mentioned awhile ago on the forum, last year I did have dermatologist examine my face on the nature of a couple brown spots. It's ok, but she did encourage me to keep on using sun screen. As soon as she saw my exposed skin on legs, arms, etc., she could tell I used sunscreen often..maybe it was the nature of the tan..which I do get a slight one even with 70 SFP. (Neutrogena)

I really don't care about strange tan lines and it tends to be "gradual" lines because different jerseys have different arm sleeve lengths, etc. But then my natural skin colour does have a golden/yellow cast. So it's kinda of...dumb to worry about this..for me.

Last year when we went to Hawaii, not once did I lie out on the beach. Just cycling around for 1-2 hrs. each day was enough since i found the sun just powerful.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.