Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

wife kicks butt in cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is it normal for a gal to kick butt in cycling if shes got more experience? My wife gained alot of weight early in our relationship and then got into cycling to get it under control.

With that said, Taylor and I have always been competitive. Not long ago we went on a bike ride together that turned into a grueling competition that ended when she obliterated me up a hill. Now I really got teased for that one! So weeks later I challenged her to the same ride again, thinking I was better mentally prepared. It didn't matter. We rode the same route this weekend and once again she wore me down and left me in her dust.

And she's 38 and I'm 32!

Your wife rules. Deal with it!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Pedal Wench said it.
    Does she at least wait for you somewhere along the way?

Do you have to "compete" wtih your wife? If it isn't helping you/your marraige long-term, don't bother getting into that frame of mind / mode of cycling.
    Be happy for her cycling competence and that she is looking after her own health.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 04-26-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

That's what she says too. She says its no different than our battle of brains in a scrabble match.... hopeless for me.

I don't know why we tend to be a bit competitive, but it hasnt seemed to have a negative impact on the relationship. It's not "cut throat" competitive, so I don't want to paint the wrong picture.

She'll beat me to the top of a long steady hill and stop a minute for water and wait for me to catch up so she can gloat. The majority of the ride is medium paced- ridden together, fun activity, scenary, exercise, etc. Not ultra competitive.

Mr. Joe: Better mindset won't get you up the hill better than your wife; you're going to have to train on hills to beat her up the hill!

But, don't worry about it. She is doing great and just enjoy your rides together.

My husband have always been very competitive about everything and when we were younger it didn't seem to matter that much when we were younger but we have been married for over 20 years and it seems that the competition is not so healthy for our relationship any more. So, think about that and just enjoy each other's company and that you have similar interests.

"Is it normal for a gal to kick butt in cycling if shes got more experience?"

Why is it NORMAL for men to ask questions like this all the time?
    (it's offensive)

Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post

(it's offensive)
    I'm sorry galatea. I wasn't trying to be. I guess I'm used to losing at boardgames and an occasional night out bowling.

But I suppose in something physical like cycling, i thought I could just toss the videogame controller aside and kick her butt any day. I was wrong!

If this post is for serious you don't seem to realize who you're talking to in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post

(it's offensive)
    What she said.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

He's just been funny and is actually proud of his wife.

I like this forum as everyone is nice and supportive. Please don't flame a guy just because you find his words offensive.

Have you told her you were proud of her? I sure am! She rocks!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Perfectly normal. Get used to it, or start working your butt off.

It does seem like an odd question to ask here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Stoker View Post
    He's just been funny and is actually proud of his wife.

Agreed. And it may have something to do with size, mrjoe. If you're a big guy, she will probably have a power to weight advantage on the hills. A little strong rider can handily beat a big strong rider up the hills. Gravity, you know...
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Stoker View Post

I like this forum as everyone is nice and supportive. Please don't flame a guy just because you find his words offensive.
    If I think someone is offensive I'll say so and I know I'm not the only one.
    This is primarily a womens forum
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I drop my hubby on the uphill, and he catches up on the downhill. It's all good.
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Agreed. And it may have something to do with size, mrjoe. If you're a big guy, she will probably have a power to weight advantage on the hills. A little strong rider can handily beat a big strong rider up the hills. Gravity, you know...
    Heh well i wish i had that excuse. I'm 5'10 and 194 and taylor is 5'7 and 185-189 i think so its pretty close.