Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

I guess I should encourage taylor to join, since its more her thing. I'm afraid shed totally laugh at my thread though.

Thanks to those who saw the thread for what it is, a bumbling question from a bumbling hubby. Sorry if ive offended members here. Was not my intent.

I wasn't particularly offended. I try to compare my abilities to someone's experience and the type of bike they ride. For instance, I am proud that usually on a century nobody passes me on a hybrid bike like what I have. I also told the husband that if I'm riding his tail, he should go faster to challenge us more, although I will get faster as the season progresses. I like when I am able to maintain a faster pace than him because that just means I'm getting fitter, not just that I am winning against him, I'm competing with myself, not him. We are training partners.

I'm not offended at all.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I
    don't
    compete.

Why?

I just don't even get it.

Bumbling, I get completely and I do routinely.

Brewer advises that if you (mrjoe) and taylor get a tandem, provided that you are the captain, you'll always finish first!

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    Brewer advises that if you (mrjoe) and taylor get a tandem, provided that you are the captain, you'll always finish first!
    Too funny!

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    This is a hoot, I love it

Personally the closest my SAG guy and husband of 37years and weekend riding friend for the past 5 years and I ever got to divorce was when we tried to wallpaper a room together and when we tried to ride a tandem bike.

Neither of those things is meant to be with us. On the other hand with each of us riding our own bike and our own ride, some days he is stronger, faster and some days I am. It is all relabive.

marni

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    ... It is all relabive.

marni
    Ah yes, the theory of relabivity!

We went on an extra long ride today and she kicked my butt again. damn she rides almost everyday. hard to keep up with that

It's not really hard too keep up with "she rides every day," Mr. Joe.

You'll catch up if you ride every day too!

(DH used to kick my butt, I had to do two rides a day to catch up.)

Karen in Boise

My husband literally rides circles around me. He rides almost twice the distance I do, because he has to keep doubling back.

However, I've run three marathons. He attempted running--either in an attempt to spend time with me, or prove "if you can do it, I can do it." He made it twice around the block.

and bicycling is not as easy as it looks
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Quote Originally Posted by mrjoe View Post
    Are you trying to say that the disparity is only going to increase with time!
    Not necessarily. In the beginning, as well as now, it wasnt a competition with him. It just became apparent when I went to check on him and he wasnt on my wheel anymore. Later I went to group rides and rode with faster people and therefore got better, while he did not.

I do credit my genes because although I am not out winning races and Olympic medals, I seem to be a natural cyclist. Add hard work and healthy eating to get me where I am even with the setbacks I have had including a broken pelvis 1 year ago.

Let's not be too hard on MrJoe.

Of course WE KNOW that you can't judge a book by her cover and WE KNOW that there are plenty of us gals here that can totally stomp plenty of the men we know.

But the reality is, we may not like it, but ON BALANCE, men are often stronger than their female partners. Stereotypes often exist for a reason, after all. To me, MrJoe sounds like he's pretty proud of his wife, especially since she might not fit society's preconceived notions about what a strong female cyclist might look like.

MrJoe, I'd say that if you want to keep up with her, you'd best get out there and put in some more miles. Oh, and remember to tell your wife how proud you are of her on a regular basis!!

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    MrJoe, I'd say that if you want to keep up with her, you'd best get out there and put in some more miles. Oh, and remember to tell your wife how proud you are of her on a regular basis!!

Susan
    You betcha!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme