Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do you protect yourself?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello everyone.

I was very excited to find this women's site as I was researching saddles. But that's a story for another time and another board! Since I'm new here, I hope I'm not dredging up something that's been beat to death.

I've been cycling for over 30 yrs. and have had my fair share of crazy drivers and angry dogs. But last month a situation developed that really frightened me. Since I'm a lone female cyclist, I am wondering if any of you have had a similar experience and how you protect yourself from criminal intent.

Since I live in a rural area and bike around 30 miles each outing, I sometimes find myself on lightly traveled, deserted roads. This particular time, a man in a Broncho pulled over on the opposite side of the road and watched me go by. I checked my mirror and saw he had turned around and was approaching me very slowly. He pulled up right beside me, said nothing and began pacing me. I gave him no eye contact, just kept riding. When another car came up behind him, he sped up. I made note of his license plate and kept riding. He then turned around and came toward me again. With absolute clarity I knew a situation was developing and that I was in big trouble. As blessings would have it, across the road, up a long expanse of grass and a small hill there were houses. I jumped off my bike and started pushing it up the hill toward them. The man then turned onto the dirt road beside where I was. It was then I knew I would never have enough time to make it to the houses, so I stopped, and with hands shaking like they've never shook before, looked back at his truck as he was creeping up the dirt road, and pulled out my cell phone, which I promptly forgot how to use!! (I always hate those women in the scary movies who can't get their key in the car, or fall...now, I understand!!) Anyway, he left when he saw me using the cell phone. I don't ride very fast, but believe me, I booked those last 6 miles home!

I now carry 2 police-grade canisters of pepper spray and a water bottle full of amonia for good measure.

Would you share your experiences and how you handled them? Thanks so much.

Blanche

Glad you made it home ok

Wow, that would be scary, I have not had that happen to that extent, but being followed/watched is very uncomfy, especially out in the boonies where I have to get my miles in, in order to get them. You handled it well as I think you could. Only thing I seen in your issue was maybe to pick up that phone sooner, but purhaps that was not possible, or thought of sooner. Good job, and I think your pepper spray is a wise choice. Do you also have id w/emergency contacts in the tube of your bike? also in helmet? You carry it on person too. It would still be advisable to talk to the police of your location of this incident, the license you took down, and details of vehicle and any other about driver. They may have had previous calls on identical vehicle descriptions but not a plate memorized, you could help save yourself and others if he is already wanted for other assault, or stalkings. Not to creep you out, but it could be valuable info you have. Or, yes, maybe he was just a jerk without past history (or life for that matter). I say, " better safe then sorry " !
    Last edited by AutumnBreez; 08-23-2005 at 12:20 PM.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

I always carry Pepper Spray after a guy sicked two dogs on me. I also carry a Cell phone,small knife,My ID in my helmet,shoe and bike bag. I never leave home without telling someone my exact route and when to expect me home. If I'm gone longer than that they know to be alert and to look for me. If I'm late I will call. I always try to look people in the eye and let them know I am ALERT and Ready! I do not shy away. I feel a look of confidence is important. I also wear very conservative clothes when I'm out by myself.

I have a route that goes up a hill to a old cemetary. It's always so quite and dark because the road is heavily lined with trees. I've pictured a guy with a chain saw coming out of the woods a couple time. To many scary movies!

Kim

WOW! I've been thinking I need to have my cell phone in its own little pouch on the handlebars for a while now - this story has convinced me. I'm so glad you handled it well and you're safe. I wonder if I could get the pepper spray out fast enough - it seems like everything is a jumble in my pack all the time.

This is SO bizarre! Normally I ride with my DH - but he's been hurting the last two days so I've been riding by myself. I am also out in the boonies.

I was just thinking before I left today about such awful things happening while I am out by myself. I almost didn't go - but convinced myself that I couldn't sit in my house and be afraid.

All are very good suggestions - thanks for sharing! I keep a cell phone with me as well. I also make sure that my DH knows what route I'm taking and when I'm leaving so he knows when to expect me back.

creepy with a capital C !! I think I would have taken off through the woods or a field long before you did.

Wow Blanche! That's scary. I think you did precisely the best thing you could have. I think about it a lot too (especially since one of the kind folks in the LBS mentioned that there were certain places in my area females shouldn't ride alone because of muggings and bike jackings !). I usually ride with my DH, but he isn't a morning person, and often that's the only time I have to ride - so I ride along. I've started carrying my cell phone in my camelbak, but wonder whether I could really get it out in time.

Pepper spray is something I'll have to look into soon - especially as I'll be riding more near dawn/dusk as the days shorten.

I had a similar situation in my car about 8 years ago - I had a nut case get out of a car at a stop sign and come towards me. I had an old cell phone that wasn't hooked up in the car with me. I picked it up and pretended to be dialing - he got back in his car and took off in a hurry.

Glad you're OK - and I agree - report it. Even if the guy doesn't have a record, he'll have one the next time he tries to mess with someone.

Blanche, your story frightens me a bit (although I don't happen to ride in similar deserted roads) but mostly makes me angry. Why is it that women should be harassed and forced into carrying weapons to protect themselves from a couple of idiots out there that feel it's exciting to creep us up (if not worse!!)? Why do they need to have such a control on women? Why is it that very few men will ever have similar feelings when riding (or walking or whatever) alone anywhere?? Why is that we'd feel like we have to ride with some guy just to feel safe??? Why is it that we even have to THINK about the eventuality of such a thing happening??????

It makes me so mad.

I am not sure about the right course of action to take in such a situation but it sounds like you did the best you could do.

Ride strong ladies, don't let anyone intimidate you. I love you all.

Blanche, anything that you do to survive is ok, you did the right thing.

what Grog said, don't let anything stop you from riding, if you do, they win.

being a "single parent of a dog" I tell my dog my route and when to expect me back ;-)

I think I shared my thoughts about guns and self defense in the other related recent thread but...

where is the jersey that says "Powered by Smith and Wesson"?
    Last edited by Trek420; 08-24-2005 at 07:09 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Blanche - Glad to hear you are ok and that is a really creepy story. It makes me mad to think that not only do we have to contend with Dogs and Cars etc but that we should even have to consider routes on how isolated we may become because of jerks like that guy.

I always ride on my own and gradually my rides are getting longer. If I dont want to ride the same route over and over to get the kms then I will also need to take some less travelled roads. I have never considered travelling with any sort of spray etc as its just not something Im use to coming from Australia but Im now wondering if I should.

so did you report this guy?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Thank you all so much

To all of you I thank you so much for your wonderful and powerful responses. Yes, my husband and I did make a police report and also posted several notices around our community. Unfortunately, by the time I remembered how to use the cell and finally got my husband, I had just about forgotten the license plate number. But, I had a good description of the car and a decent description of the driver. I prayed that day that he did not do anything to anyone else.

What I found out from research is that he was a predator (obviously) and what they usually do is "test" their victims first to see how weak they are and if they would be able to overtake them, etc. It is always a test you want to fail. You want him to think that you would be a difficult "victim."

I now wear what I call my "commando belt." It's a fanny pack with 2 canisters of pepper spray in holsters on each side. I always have my cell phone on, clipped to the belt, not inside the pack where I would have to fumble with it...and I have my husband's phone number up so all I have to do is push one button. The water bottle full of amonia as a back up. I call my husband before I leave and again when I return. I now will put my name and address on stuff, because I don't carry ID...never actually thought about it since I bike locally. But, have to do it now. Great suggestion.

Also, always before I go out, I think about where everything is and if I have to, I practice getting to it, so I won't forget. I will NEVER forget how to use a cell again, or be casual about my safety.

You know, I too am so angry that we as women always have to be looking over our shoulders and wondering if that guy that just passed us and looked us over is a criminal.

I refuse to give up riding, but I did modify my route so that I am somewhat closer to houses and the stretches of deserted road are less.

Bless you all and please, stay safe.

Blanche

grettasister, I was concerned when I read your reply. Heading into the woods or a field where you are out of sight and away from any help might get you in more trouble. Then you are alone and not visable. Looking for houses, stores, places where there are people would be a better idea. Always get a license plate number and call the police even if you have the slightest unease. What's the worst that can happen, they send and officer to where you are!

Blanche... I just saw this and man, I am so glad you were not hurt... we had an incident here in San Diego last year where a man tried to drag a jogger into his truck... she kicked the crap outta him, and ran screaming... this was in broad daylight on a highly traveled street... the guy was caught later...

I also ride alone, but in a very populated area... despite that I STILL carry a cell phone and pepper spray. I wear RoadID and also have my info in my seatbag... one attached to me and another on the bike just in case...

I've had one incident on the bike where I was feeling creeped out and held up my pepper spray and showed it to the guy... who then drove off... he never did anything that I could prove was intent... but I really trust my gut instinct... if I feel like something is not right, I believe it's not right and respond. I figure the worst that can happen is I'll have my pepper spray and/or phone out and have to put it away again...

glad you're safe...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

I now will put my name and address on stuff, because I don't carry ID...never actually thought about it since I bike locally. But, have to do it now. Great suggestion

I made photocopys of my ID and health insurance card and keep one in the seat wedge on each of my bikes.