Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck

One more thing. If you have or want to put an emergency contact, put the person's name as "George-ICE(in case of emergency)".

c
    NZ has just started a big ICE campaign here - excellent idea... this house has phones and watches with an ICE number programmed in

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Very glad you are Okay!

To add fuel to this--a most despicable crime against a young woman-occured here in Ottawa Ontario Canada two years ago. On a very hot muggy afternoon a young woman went out to ride and was killed by a predator. They haven't got the bastard yet--and this is a huge bone to pick at here in the local cycling community. As a result of this terrible crime--the city now issues free cell phones to riders--loaned for up to a week. There are volunteer bike patrols, too. Many sections of the pathway system here-can be isolated-and obviously-empty of traffic at certain times of the day. The crime against this vibrant young woman--stunned the city--and one of the things I noticed afterwards--were less women riders on the paths. It seems now--matters are returning to better numbers of women riding--however--even 2 weeks ago--there were reports of a look-a-like--if not the same guy--again cruisng in the same spot where the woman was killed. I am certain my local police force are doing the best they can to track and get this creep--but--there is no denying the frustration of the locals--that he hasn't been caught.

[QUOTE=JLD]To add fuel to this--a most despicable crime against a young woman-occured here in Ottawa Ontario Canada two years ago. On a very hot muggy afternoon a young woman went out to ride and was killed by a predator.

Hi JLD - that is terrible. Keep aware and safe wont you.

I cycle alone--bike commute--and am out and about at midnight frequently. I rarely carry ID--never money--don't have a cell phone. BUT--my place of work does know my nightly route--I do pay attention to my surroundings--and there are no short cuts.....This poor woman--was out in Broad daylight--on an isolated wooded section of the eastern path section--when there is poor traffic in that zone. It is completely shocking and despicable--and Everyone wants this bastard caught.

a good way to carry small items like a phone or spray is something called a "bento box". It straps to the top tube of your bike, and puts items right in reach. Here is a picture from Amazon, but I got mine (a small one) on eBay.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...80943?v=glance

I carry pepper spray clipped to my shorts (I have a C.C.W.). My DH offers firearms training and self-defence, so he constantly- and rightly- nags me to look after myself. This reminds me, PLEASE check with your local state laws about carrying spray... While I doubt very much that if you need to use it that a cop would make trouble for you, pepper sprays/mace/knives et c. are usually treated as weapons (and rightly so), so make sure you have any applicable licenses.

We need to exercise the same caution on our bikes that we use when we are out and about doing our everyday things.

The Wild, Wild East...that is what FL has come to! How is this for protection?

bouncy*does NOT advocate violence in any form*bouncy

just here to inform....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FLgun.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	387  
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

Not being a gun nut myself, I will say that that ad is a paid advertisement, which is trying to frighten people to gain its own political agenda. The law which comes into force tomorrow is an extension of the current castle domain law, simply making to 'easier,' if you will, to go about your life during an investigation following a 'self-defence' incident. It doesn't change when you can legally defend yourself or or re-define when you can prevent a forceable felony.

As I stated, I'm not into guns, gun culture or its politics, but I am survivor of a violent crime, and I strongly support the right to defend one's self, especially as more and more of our civil rights are being re-negotiated. It's one of the few things I like about the States and FL.

I really hate politics. I'll leave it at that.

Peace, love and all that good stuff...

I agree seagrape, I am not against "self-defense" one bit...I am concerned with the medias portrayal of this law...I flipped through the news channels last night and this morning and saw nothing about what this law was really about, only the FACT that "Floridians now have a law allowing us to shoot in self-defense no questions asked!!!" (that is in quotes because that is what you get out of the report)
    Don't you think that protrayal could get out of hand when it is too late, someone has already been shot? Just makes me a little nervous of how the public is going to interpret this one....

besides...this paid advertisement is getting ALOT of coverage and it is going to affect the tourists decisions...

I agree and I apologise if I was a bit defensive (pardon the pun- I got that dumb cold that's going around and I'm kinda cranky ) You're right-it's a very irresponsible portrayal of the law and I really believe that FL. needs to really tighten its law about the firearm's training requirement, anyway... I believe that the law states now that we don't have to retreat before shooting (or shpritizing someone with pepper spray) My DH still will teach people to retreat, before shooting, as it's simply more responsible (and better for everyone )

But, yeah, you're right. It'll be interesting to see what happens with this one...

And you're right about tourism; with gas prices as they are and the hurricanes, the LAST thing we need right now is a wild west media campaign to frighten tourists away.

seagrape: (cute name BTW) No need to apologize...I was a little vague on my opinion and it is always hard to portray attitude (good, bad, or otherwise) through type.

Sorry to hear that you had an experience we all fear...It is not something anyone should go through!!!

I just hate the thought along with watching out for road debris, crazy animals, and ignorant drivers...now we have to beware of people with a vendeta (sp?) looking for an excuse to use "self-defense" I wish us all safety and nothing but smooth rides....meanwhile watch you front, your back, and the sides...

Happy riding...looks like we are dodging another storm....one more month