Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Durango Weekend

Durango Weekend

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am thinking of surprising my better-half with a weekend in Durango for his birthday, to go with the new mtb he's getting this summer. Anybody have any tips on lodging/restaurants/trails? Since we'll probably drive up there, we'll want to drive as little as possible, if at all, once we arrive. Thanks!
    "I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." Susan B Anthony

Well look at that! Another Flagstaffian - amazing.

Durango is a great place! Just go downtown and find a restaurant - there are plenty of good ones. The downtown is wonderful to walk around in and check things out. I can't remember the name of it, but there is a pub there that makes it's own beer that has had bike races run right through the middle of it.

There are great trails that you can take right through town up towards the college which sits on a hill overlooking town; or you can go to the bike store downtown and they have maps, and big displays showing you where to ride. I would say the trail that comes down from Purgatory ski resort, my fave, but it is a long thing and you have to get a car at the bottom to pick you up. It is probably still under snow too so that would be out right now this time of year. It is great!

Have fun.

spoke

Karen, If you come to Dgo you should take a day and ride your MTB at a place called Phil's World. It is located directly accross from the Montazuma County Fair Grounds on Hwy 160 West between Durango and Cortez. This place kicks *** for MtB's, really. Even though I am more of a roadie, I have gone there multiple times and just had a blast! It is well maintained through the Cortez cycle shop, Kokopelli Cycles and really is extremely well known here, people even say it is world class. Can get hot there in the middle of summer. The trails are single track, with lots of whoop-de-doo's and turns, super fun! Beginner trails through expert. local races for the hard core ect. Try it out and have a great time, Lisa.

Well look at that! Another Flagstaffian - amazing.
    I knew there had to be a couple people from Flag on here! Hope you're enjoying the weather, now if the darn trails would just dry out.
    Phil's World sounds great Lisa.
    Thanks for the tips!
    K.
    "I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." Susan B Anthony

Actually, I think you and I are the only Flagstaff people on this forum. Unless some have joined recently.

I missed this weekend in Flag - went to Phoenix and enjoyed the hot weather immensely

That's crazy, it's such a bike town! This weekend was gorgeous. I spent the whole weekend trying to repair my brakes. By the way, which shop do you favor?

Quote Originally Posted by katherine View Post
    That's crazy, it's such a bike town! This weekend was gorgeous. I spent the whole weekend trying to repair my brakes. By the way, which shop do you favor?
    I always have gone to Absolute Bikes, but I raced for them and my husband and I managed the team for a couple of years so that is where I go.

Since I only ride occasionally now or mostly to commute, I don't go to a bike shop much anymore! A tube here, a co2 cartridge there. A new end for my camelback. Hubby does most of the work on my bikes That's about it.

I love Durango! I haven't been there in ages though. My aunt and uncle used to run a B & B there, Waterfall Bed and Breakfast. I think they may still be running it, or its possible they've retired recently. I know they talked about it.

I keep hoping DH and I can get some time to go out there, but its a LONG drive from MI.