Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trek WSD's, 1000, 1500 and/or 2100?

To disable ads, please log-in.

A little introduction . . . I've been reading the forums for some time as I venture into the world (again) of bicycling buying. I've read/researched specs, components, reviews, etc. on the bikes I've listed.

About one and a half years ago, I had to give up (temporarily) road bike riding due to back/hip problems and my ortho doc suggested switching to a cruiser. So, I purchased a Jamis Boss Crusier (7 speed) and have been riding it 5-6 days/wk, 12-15 mi/ride ever since. My ortho has cleared me to go back to a road bike, so I'm looking to buy. Interesting to note - right about the time I started having back problems, my road bike was stolen from my back yard storage house (a little foreshadowing, perhaps!!). Anyway . . . I'm set on purchasing a Trek (great fit for my 5'8" frame), but am having a real tough time deciding which bike to purchase. (BTW, my last road bike was a Schwinn). In any event, I'm considering purchasing 1 of the 3 choices . . . here are the prices the LBS has offered me . . .

2006 Trek WSD 1000 - $485

2006 Trek WSD 1500 - $889

2005 Trek WSD 2100 - $1100

Obviously, the Trek 2100 is the best value choice, but I'm faced with the "guilty" choice. Having not been on a road bike in close to two years, going from a Cruiser to a lighter road bike will, in and of itself be a significant upgrade. So, will I really notice the component upgrades from the 1000 to the 2100? Also, I need to purchase all new gear (as that was stolen as well), which includes shoes, jerseys, shorts, computer, helmet, etc. Quite honestly, I feel guilty if I am to purchase the 2100 because I'll be spending an additional, say, $4-500 on gear, which brings me into the $1700 range, and, the forward thinker that I am, I'm thinking about the holidays (travel, gifts, etc.) and don't want to strap myself. Granted, I have the Trek card to purchase the 2100, but I don't want to just throw my plastic around.

Okay, so bottom line is, if I am beginning (again) what are your thoughts on going from the Cruiser to each of the bikes listed? Any input you are able to offer on each of the bikes would be sincerely appreciated. I understand in the end, the choice is ultimately up to me, but I would love to hear a woman's perspective (as the men friends I have, have all said "go with the 2100" - men tend to think differently than women when it comes to stuff like this - much like when they purchase a car!!)

Thank you in advance.

KJL in Miami

I think the question to focus on isn't "will you need the upgrades when you switch from the cruiser?" but "will you already be itching for a better bike a few months down the road?" If you were a newbie, I might say otherwise, but you obviously know the difference and are going to stick with road riding, so I'd go with the better bike.

Quote Originally Posted by cusepack
    So, will I really notice the component upgrades from the 1000 to the 2100?
    Based, on your pst experience and desire to start riding a road bike again, yes. There is a significant difference between the weight and performance of Tiagra, Sora and 105 components. You're also getting into better wheelsets. All this pays out how the bike brakes and rides. The frames are also significantly different. Since you are willing to spend the money, I'd narrow at least to the two 105 equipped bikes and choose based on how the bike fits and how it rides thinking long term. How far do you expect to ride and what type of pavement? See if you can test ride each bike in typical terrain so you can feel the difference. One may absorbs roughness better and one may be a better climber/descender, etc.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Hi,

I would go with the best bike you can afford, and get the accessories as you go. You can find really good deals on stuff on eBay or by looking on Froogle. It's easier, and cheaper, to get the upgraded components when you buy the bike, rather than trying to upgrade later. With the 2100, you're also moving up a grade in frame, as well as getting carbon seat stays and a carbon seat post, both of which are going to give you a cushier ride. I assume you are going WSD for the slightly more upright riding position? Otherwise, you're tall enough to be able to pick anything.

What I would do is go out and ride everything you can get your hands on. At the LBS and all others within driving range. When I bought my second MTB, I was looking in the $2500 range, and the bikes that got good reviews in magazines and that looked the coolest to me actually weren't the best rides, for me. I ended up with a pretty obscure brand that I test rode in some tiny town in the mountains of GA. Being 5'2", it's also very hard to find the correct frame size to test ride- I ended up riding some shop guy's personal bike and loving it. I also test rode a bunch of WSD mountain bikes and hated them all- with the smaller components, such as a smaller diameter handle bar, I felt like I was on a puny kid's bike. I ended up getting a non-WSD MTB.

But- even after that experience, I have just bought a WSD Trek 2100, sight unseen, on eBay. I hope I like it! I'd _better_ like it!! I did a ton of research first. I will let you know after Wednesday. You're lucky- you can go ride one before buying it, which is the right thing to do.

Nanci

I agree with all of the above. Shimano 105 is significantly better. I have the trek 2100 and am itching for ultegra components. Durace is where the cost goes up significantly and the improvements in componentry is tiny. But below 105 you are taking huge jumps downwards in component functionality. Don't do it if you don't have to.

Thank you so much for your responses. I have read, and re-read your responses and I"m so appreciative that you took the time to share your thoughts. I suppose I am feeling some of the "cold feet" syndrome. Inasmuch as I'm excited to purchase a new bike, it is a significant purchase for me and so as much information as I'm able to absorb is so helpful. Honestly, I think it might be one of those "I knew I should have gotten this one" if I pass up on the great deal for the 2100. Granted, it's the '05 model, but I've already seen the specs on the 2200 (replaces the 2100) and there's not much of a change, and in some aspects, the components are better in the 2100.

I was fortunate enough to test them all (each a WSD), and I felt comfortable on all, but with different adjustments to the bike - strange, I know, but each had it's own level of comfort for me. But, since I'm no longer a spring chicken, it's probably best the more carbon the better!!!

Again, many, many thanks. I will keep you updated. I'm so grateful to have "found" this wonderful community.

On a sidenote - Nanci, I LOVE Ebay - do let me know about your bike when you receive it!

Kathryn

Kathryn: just as a sidenote, when I got back into biking I "thought" what I wanted was a simple little commuter bike when what I really wanted was a road bike. I now have 2 vintage road bikes but am dreaming of the day I can get a brand new, never-been-used, road bike just for me! My goal is to get the absolute best I can possible afford (or finance) coz I know anything less just won't be enough plus with the miles I put on a bike, it needs to be able to handle it! So I would say: go with the road bike and go with the absolute best you can possibly afford (or finance)......it'll be cheaper in the long run!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Hi Kathryn,

Sorry am jumping in late but understand about the "cold feet" syndrome. My face was when I started shopping for bikes in early spring and started tallying up the $. The bikes I tested and considered was tge 1500 WSD and 2100 WSD. I loved them both and honestly both fit really well for my towering 5'2. It came down to $ which you are thinking about. My heart was initially set on the 2100 WSD which no doubt has the better package but I had to settle for the 1500 after I upgraded the pedals, got shoes, fancy jerseys , bike computer, etc. Do I regret it and pine for the 2100 that could've been? No way! I love my noble steed but at the end of the day as others have said, buy the best you can afford.

The 2100 is a smoking bike but I am biased when I say the 1500 is a great bike for me. It's responsive, quick, and honestly a bike that a beginner (like me) can grow with. Obvious diff is the the frame but the components are both Shimano 105s I think. Anyway, you know the diffs of the bikes and hope you'll post an update to tell us about your new baby.

Sue
    All limits are self imposed - Icarus

Isn't Florida really flat?

Does it make a difference that you won't be handling any major climbs in the bike?

Just a little update . . . the 2100 was ordered today - I had to go with it

And yes, Florida is very flat, but, there are many trails with man-made hills - of course, nothing like Boone, but nonetheless, hills. Also, there's a great ride on Key Biscayne (and the bridge leading to it). Most cyclists can be found training there.

I'll let you know when I receive the bike - should be about 7-10 days.

Again, thank you so very much for your wonderful responses.

KJL

wooohooo and Another new bike is coming! I get almost as excited about ya'll getting new bikes as I would if it was mine! and another Trek-Head...muuuhaaa we're taking over the world!

so.......we want pixs, your first ride, his/her name.......Everything!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

KJL,

Where are you in FL? I'm in Alachua, by Gainesville. (That would be Ah-lah-chew-ay for the city and Al-lah-chew-ah for the county!!) People from here go to Clermont to train on hills.

I just tracked my 2100 and it's supposed to get here today, not tomorrow!!! I hope it's not too dismantled and I don't have to take it to a shop...

Nanci

Frankly - I'd stay away from anything with tiagra gear set - go 015 if you can't afford the ultegra or DA, The tiagra sets don't shift smoothly, they fall out of adjustment easily, and can be VERY frustrating!
    The space and time for what you WANT is being occupied by what you have settled for

"You say bark I say bite / You say shark I say hey man / Jaws was never my scene / And I don't like Star Wars"

BikeDFW - Dallas and Fort Worth Area Cycling Advocacy Organization

Yes, another Trek-head to add to the mix!! I'm very excited and have already begun my search for gear. I'll get fitted for me new helmet local, but may end up ordering that online as they are soooo much cheaper. The price mark-up locally is incredible, but I understand that's where all the money is, as well as tune-ups, etc.

My Jamis Cruiser has tiagra and actually, it has a tendency to "flutter" in gear when I try shifting - feels like it's between two gears. It's very annoying and although I've taken good care of the bike as far as maintenance, it still happens.

Few questions . . . where do you buy your gear? I've looked at Performance Bike, Longcycle (they have great jersey prices), Nashbar, World Cycling - quite a few actually, but I'd like to stick with one or two sites so I'm not all over the board, so to speak, looking for my orders.

Nanci, I reside in Miami, where, for the past week or so it's been reaching 105-110. The heat is incredible - and with those big fat tires on my cruiser, my legs are toast by the end of my ride. But you know what, I love it!!!!

Oh, and by the way, one jersey I'm investing in is the Disco jersey - I don't consider myself a poser, but I really like the jersey - saw it in the LBS and love the material.

Kathryn

So I'll quit complaining about 96 degrees...

New Bike is here and put together, but only ridden for one minute in sandals around the yard to get the seat adjustment. I can't believe how comfortable and natural it felt! But then I had to take her back in the house and put on the frame pump and the computer and the bottle cage and the little bag under the seat. The computer...why can't they just write simple instructions? Instead of just pictures that are impossible to decipher. And one mount was too big, even with both shims, and the other was way too small. And I'm not happy with how the transmitter is mounted on the fork- the fork tapers, what's to keep it from just slipping down??? But I can't get it super tight. The bike is _so_ light! Or was, until I put stuff on her. And the rear tube blew, right by the valve stem, when it was just sitting there! What's up with that? Luckily, I had another tube someone sold me for a different bike that was wrong for that bike, but just laying around, but it was ok for New Bike. Hopefully I'll get to ride today, but a friend at work wants to go see the penguin movie, and today's the only day...

Nanci